Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Morning

Well that was a long haul for a repair. Here is my daily news report from Sunday

SUNDAY NEWS

I have never made wedding dresses, never really wanted to but admire those who do. I will tackle most other things, like curtains, coats , jackets. I particularly like making up my own designs and drafted patterns. This summer I have had the time to be ambitious and professional in my finish and am very pleased with Bobs 3 shirts and my 4 pairs of jeans. I have made loads for other people, close friends or family, and like you Maz, don’t charge. I just like to do it.

Saturday was another day of gardening. I filled the brown bin to overflowing and will now have to wait till it is emptied on Thursday before I can do anything else. I managed to tidy up my pots of bulbs from last year and found that many had rotted due to the rain in the summer . I could not store them where I usually do so they got the full force of the wet. I tipped the compost and bulb remains of five pots on to the patch of garden that is full of spring bulbs. The gardening took up most of the day, and I had an aching back when I had finished. The rest of the time was chill out time. We packed, I tackled my first lesson of the online archeology course, and in the evening it was online wine appreciation with the U3A. AND I picked some runner beans, they are at last coming, and there are loads of flowers

This morning I had notification of passing assessment number 9 ,of my genealogy course, again with 100 %. I don’t think my achievements will be so high with the archeology. I find the language quite difficult. I prefer straight talking factual science writing, I find this rather flowery language with a lot of words but saying little of depth. I had to read one paragraph four times before I even vaguely knew what it meant. When I did work it out, I could have made the point in three clear sentences! I also need to keep looking things up, but hey thats whyI am doing the course, to stretch the old brain cells

We are off after a cooked breakfast, making the most of our lovely journey north. We have a couple of visits planned for the three days, looking forward to it

MONDAY

It seems you had better weather than us yesterday. It drizzled most of the drive over and even when it stopped it was cloudy and cool. The forecast for today is much better. Yesterday we visited Druridge Country Park and Bay. Its a magnificent 7 km wide sandy beach and sand dunes, with a lovely walk round a lake in the park. We didn’t do the walk as it started to rain. The beach looked deserted but wasn’t really. One elderly lady we chatted to had just done her daily swim! We then stopped at Seahouses for a short walk and cup of tea. The Farne Islands were really clear .

Today we have a visit booked at Warkworth Castle and village. The village featured on a T V programme some time ago. The villagers still have long thin gardens remnants of the old medieval strip farming .

The Lord Crew Hotel is straight across from Bambugh castle. The food is delicious and we are ultra impressed with their Covid precautions. All around everyone is aware, just like Filey. Greater Manchester could learn a thing or two

TUESDAY

It looks a bit grey out there this morning. A bit like I feel. I didn’t get much sleep. Bob was deep, and not particularly snoring but making loud breathing noises🙁. I could not disturb him. Usually if he changes position it stops, but he wouldn’t move !
We had a lovely day yesterday, blue skies, sun, warm. We visited the village of Warkworth and castle and had a few short walks, including two on different beaches.we even had a double ice cream and flake whilst strolling on Beadnell beach. We love it up here, but Beadnell has changed substantially, where it was a lonely strip of road behind the beach it is now a big housing estate and caravan park .Its a trip round Bamburgh and the castle today, then home.

TODAY
What a nice way to start my day. I have had a very nice email from the Centre of Excellence to say I have excelled on my genealogy course, I have 100% and gained a distinction. I can now download my certificate.

Today will be washing after our three days away. I was going for a walk with Wendy, after our walk last week to Ingleton Falls she suggested we met up . Anyway I have cancelled as my back was hurting yesterday after two nights sleeping on a strange bed and three days walking on sand and sand dunes. We have planned for next week instead.

We came home to a box of bulbs and plants that we had ordered, so if the rain holds off long enough I will plant those later. Otherwise its sewing or start my autumn term home art project for my art classes, which have reconvened after the summer. I shall also pick the last of my tomatoes and recycle the compost for my bulbs.

So thats my day
Have a good one everyone
If you keep searching you will find it
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 07:55 Today I will be mainly painting the gates after replacing a few bits of timber.
Gates are painted and I've built a new fence at the other end of the garden, this should stop some of the grandchildren falling off the edge and one of them from jumping off (once I get to see them again).
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I finished my shorts ( in different lengths)...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shorts are the last thing on the menu here Maz, we head rapidly into single figures and Back End is definitely here.
(Your back end is catered for....)
Morning Kev. I've been too busy posting and shopping to do anything else!
Sue, well done on the genealogy course. As for archaeology, next time you are in the library look for anything by Barry Cunliffe. He has the knack of making complicated matters simple and easy to read. My favourite of his is 'The Extraordinary Voyage of Pytheas the Greek', an amazing story clearly told. Good luck with the course....
I have ditched the shed this morning other matters took precedence.
Loving the upgraded site....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 06:37 I finished my shorts ( in different lengths)...
Nice, love the black and grey. I never got round to making shorts this summer as I only wear them in France.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its still raining here, probably a good job we didn’t do that walk.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sue wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 12:09 Its still raining here, probably a good job we didn’t do that walk.
Wet, misty and cold here Sue, it was a good move to delay our walk. I also have a sore foot which I twisted somehow on a walk yesterday, it's recovering now but it wasn't comfortable walking on uneven ground this morning. My younger and very fit friend walks at a smart pace and the ground over Elslack Moor was rutted and tussocky, I was glad to be wearing very supportive leather boots or my ankle might have been twisted and more damaged. I am very fond of my leather Brasher Hillmasters, not pretty but they are the most comfy boot I've ever worn! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't try to keep up! Make you're friend walk at your pace. Get Col to rub it with scented oils....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 12:29 Don't try to keep up! Make you're friend walk at your pace. Get Col to rub it with scented oils....
:laugh5: :laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Shorts a still a while off here yet too - very slow start to Spring this year. Had a couple of days where we could wear a T-shirt for a few hours during the afternoon, but sat here today in a Polar Fleece again. Can only describe today as overcast with frequent showers. At least the wind has died down. It has been very blustery indeed.
I am not complaining. Those hot days will be sent to try us very soon.

I have been looking through two photo storage devices on the computer this morning...looking at pics of all those lovely holidays we have taken...gosh! wouldn't it be nice to go somewhere!? We don't dare plan anything. I think we are like most people thinking life may become a permanent "Staycation" at home! At least we are fortunate to have the beach on our doorstep and some beautiful cliff top walks to be had once the weather improves.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Contemplating thick shirts and getting the Crombie out here Maz!
Nice day yesterday communicating with all of you on our brilliant new version of the site, a pleasure to use it!
I am ready to start building in the shed. Must order my meat from Kathy for home delivery. If it's dry, a walk to the pharmacy for my prescriptions.
Thinking about Sue's tooth and abscess and how lucky I am.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

What a miserable day yesterday, rain pretty much all day. I started the dayby picking the rest of my tomatoes, I have now a glut. I also picked runner beans and there are lots more coming. Many of which are not accessible as they have climbed up a wire at the back of the house and are now heading for the eaves! This picking gave us enough for tea with salmon and home grown potatoes. They were very nice too. After dealing with the tomatoes I dashed out into the rain and took my 3 large pots of geraniums into the greenhouse and pruned them back a bit. I can usually keep them flowering till well after Christmas . The smaller pots will be moved into the conservatory any time soon.

I did 4 loads of washing but had to dry them all in the dryer. At least that cuts down on the ironing which I also completed. I did a quick trip to the optician in Rochdale as I needed something to stop my glasses steaming up when I wear my mask. I noticed everyone wearing masks. There was also a clear one way system marked out with cones and tape. As I have worn my mask more and more it is becoming clear that the perfect fit is a bit too perfect and I struggle to breathe. It has got worse as my morning asthma cough has returned for the winter. So I spent the rest of the day trying different designs and with a bit of research different fabric combinations that still meet the WHO suggestions, nine of them fitted well. They either gaped or ended up covering my eyes. Today I shall try the more oblong style. If that doesn’t work then it will have to be the disposable medical type which I am not very happy about using.

Today I have pilates at 10 and yoga at 6.30 pm. Other than that I think I may try and make my pilates leggings that I started a couple of weeks ago. I gather its going to rain most of the day.

My gum abscess is much better thanks to a friend recommending a particular mouthwash that her dentist recommended. Would you believe I have to phone the dentist this morning . There was a message on our answer machine to say the appointment for my filling on the 8th has been cancelled, due to unforeseen circumstances. Its a good job it doesn’t bother me too much so long as I don’t chew with that tooth . Its 5 months now since the problem developed.

Have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck with the filling but good news about the infection Sue. You're slowly getting there! I look forward to the day when you can look back on both as done and dusted. On steaming up, divers spit on the inside of their goggles to stop steaming, in an emergency it might be useful!
As usual I am having a breather after 2 hours in the shed at the bench fitting. It's gone well and I am pleased, I'll post later. However the task now is to have a walk and make breakfast then if I am lucky it's Melvyn and 'In our time'.

Later, listening to In Our Time and eating breakfast. Here's where we are at closing time, no big problems and very close to an engine.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I having a feeling the dentist may be pregnant. Of course I may be wrong . They didn’t say she had left but due to personal reasons is unable to do the procedure( me and many more apparently) they will get back to me with an appointment when they know who can . Profuse apologies given
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Maybe she has Coronavirus. I mean, they are hardly going to come out and say it are they? :surprised:

I’ve just finished making a Lasagne for dinner tonight ( which took me about an hour). The whole time, the wind was howling around the house and it hailed. Another horrible, cold, wet day, with winds coming straight from the Southern Ocean. I had to bring the pot containing a Rose (which I bought for my son), into the Dining Room and pop it on a plate near the window. I’ve been moving it to and fro for days now, trying to shelter it from the worst of the wind.
Hailing again now. Miserable day. Wish I had some sewing to keep me occupied.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Making an engine bed! This planed oak off-cut turned up last night, 2 metres and 8" wide for £20. A bargain I think.
Otherwise normal activities after a hectic evening. My half sheep was delivered and the oak. All as I had just cooked tea. Unusual events tire me so I was in bed and asleep at 21:00.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Well I beat you! I was in bed by 8pm! ( watched Dragon’s Den for an hour and then fell asleep).
This blast of cold weather makes bed seem very attractive...
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I am not quite sure what I did to fill the day yesterday, but I did. After pilates we decided to go out for lunch as our cleaner changed her day to yesterday. I had forgotten she was coming and my sewing room was in a dreadful mess, I usually tidy that up so she can hoover the floor. She managed any way, despite my saying not to bother. In the afternoon I made two masks of a different design so I shall trial them today when I go out. I simply copied the design of a disposable one but made it a snugger fit round my face, leaving it looser over my mouth and nose than the other style. I have used thinner material too. Hope it works. Later I cut out my pilates leggings and started sewing them. I shall continue today .

Despite having lunch out yesterday, we are also going today as we booked last week .Its dance exercise this morning. I have really lost track of the days, so with sewing my leggings and lunch out thats my day. I must remember to Whats App Eve this evening. I haven’t spoken to her for a couple of weeks so I am sure she will have loads to tell me about school. I shall speak to Briony tomorrow after her theatre group. I am looking forward to hearing what she has been up to.

Have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. As usual I am having a breather after an hour and a half in the shed. Part of it doing my least favourite thing, woodworking! It's so messy, that's why I only do it in dry weather so I can be outside on the welding bench in the yard. Anyway it's done now and I shall report later. Now for a walk on a bright cold morning, then breakfast.
All is well so far...

A cold walk but dry and sunny.

Knocking off time, we have an engine ready for the next fitting and a freshly varnished oak base board. A good hour and a half's work.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm looking for a quiet day. A bit of shed work, two malt loves from the Artisan Baker, have you tried them? Soul food!
Then my fortnightly punishment of reading PE and being made aware of the worst aspects of politics and society. Why do I do it? You have to know the enemy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I am not sure where my days go at the moment but I seem to be doing ‘not much’ but am filling them. After dance exercise yesterday I managed to get a couple of loads of washing on the line and then it was out for lunch at The Shepherds Rest at Todmorden. The manager there told us they has been inspected for Covid security the day before and all was good, which was nice to hear as we shall probably continue our visits. They had the new QR code displayed through out and as we have downloaded the new NHS App on our phones we tried it out . It was very quick to respond, displaying the name of where we were. It was late afternoon when we got back home so by the time we had a cup of tea and I had rescued my washing from the line it was nearly 4.30pm.

I did a couple of hours making my pilates leggings, an interesting jumble of pieces, and lots of seaming to ensure the seams don’t split when exercising. I have also covered all seams with a decorative flat coverstitch,( the sort of triple or double rows of stitching you get on t shirt hems) . I have a separate machine for that. Then it was time for another cup of tea and whats App Eve. She is so funny, she was making a smoothie and chatting to me at the same time , showing me the method, the ingredients step by step like a cookery expert. At one point we joked about not being able to get the dads these days and she suggested she could find another one on Amazon! So that was yesterday.

Today is Bacup market, followed by a quick second breakfast of croissants and coffee. Then we are off to Brockholes nature reserve near Preston to meet Erin and Claire for a walk and a bit of lunch at the cafe there. Then its home ready to whats app Briony . I am looking forward To her telling me what she has been up to in the theatre group she has joined as a Saturday morning activity. S this weekend is definitely catch up with the grandchildren weekend. If I get chance later I need to start bringing my geraniums into the conservatory for the winter. It was 2 degrees last night, they don’t like to be that cold. So thats today.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Oh yes we cancelled our October ferry to France last night so it will now be March before we go again. I sent a message to our neighbour Laetitia in my ‘bestest french’(ha ha) . She replied and said not to worry, they would turn the water off for us, Yves would continue keeping the grass cut, and would periodically light a fire to keep the house aired, and she said she would keep the spiders away. I said to take all the meat out of the freezer as it would be nearly a year old by next March.

Such good neighbours
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I am not sure where my days go at the moment"
Like me Sue I suspect you do know but are surprised how fast time moves! I am sure that like gravity it has changed over the years!

Here's the result of an hour in the shed. The base finish wax polished and the engine mounted in it's final position. None of what has been finished will need touching again, it's all very close to perfect.
Nice morning, now for the rest of the day and F1 Quali at 18:30!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Looking good Stanley. I always think the wood bases are the real finishing touch
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Sue. I like it as well. And yes, the wood bases are a good finishing touch but I don't like them to be too shiny, asking for trouble in terms of scratches!
Not sure about today yet, there are a couple of outstanding tasks outside the shed and they my take precedence.
Later it will be Sochi F1.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”