Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

You may come back to cooler weather Sue. Thursday next week is looking like a bit of a change.
This morning has been busy with small but essential tasks one of which was defrosting the freezer. Everything done now, question is do I want to go in the shed? I shall have a rest and a smoke and give it a bit of thought.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I see the forecast is showing 25 and 26, for next werk, exactly the same as here. We will water what we can when we leave from the waterbuts which are now nearly empty and pray for a bit of rain to fill them up again
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:

he shed lost out to housecleaning and veggie shopping! I have vacuumed and done the stairs steps as well. Hard work in this weather but I'm glad it's done..... Now for a bit of dinner and then a sleep. I have my priorities right even if I have not been in the shed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm aiming for the shed again but can see cooking looming up.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Very last bit if weeding to do, today, it was too hot to finish yesterday, then I shall make some apricot jam. This afternoon we are out visiting some french friends.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds sensible..... Cooking has chiselled my morning away. I have a big pan of veggies cooked and swimming in butter. I have cooked a chicken again in cider and the gravy has been used to make a bowl of supercharged stuffing. Bugger the shed, I need a rest!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No cooking necessary so definitely in the shed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

A horrendous thunderstorm last night but the temperatures are soon set to rise again today. This is the forcast pattern fo this week. I shall clean the bathrooms and kitchen, wash the floor and pack. Its been a busy hot week but looking around we have made a difference so it should stay under control for the next few weeks before our return.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Making preparations for the borehole. Colin is digging a trench from where it will be sited to the barn for the water pipe. I'm doing what I can to move things around and clear space for the pressure vessel and electrical stuff. Trying to keep anxiety levels under control!
Eating strawberries. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Some thunderstorms in the SW as well Sue but they haven't reached us yet.
Wendy, don't let him do too much! Exciting times.......

I think I can start to address the making of the crosshead for the engine. Another interesting little stage. It's keeping my brain active!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Up and out early to get some work done in the poly tunnel, it gets too hot by 8.30am and I'm too weary to do more than water the plants by the time it cools down in an evening.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Wendyf wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 06:37 Making preparations for the borehole. Colin is digging a trench from where it will be sited to the barn for the water pipe. I'm doing what I can to move things around and clear space for the pressure vessel and electrical stuff. Trying to keep anxiety levels under control!
Wendy, if you have time I'd love to follow your progress on this project in perhaps a thread of its own. I assume you have to get permission from someone for abstraction (is that correct?), how deep, etc etc.

Graham
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

chinatyke wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 10:18
Wendyf wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 06:37 Making preparations for the borehole. Colin is digging a trench from where it will be sited to the barn for the water pipe. I'm doing what I can to move things around and clear space for the pressure vessel and electrical stuff. Trying to keep anxiety levels under control!
Wendy, if you have time I'd love to follow your progress on this project in perhaps a thread of its own. I assume you have to get permission from someone for abstraction (is that correct?), how deep, etc etc.

Graham
I will start a new topic once I get my head around it Graham! In England you have to apply for a licence to abstract water if you are planning to pump more than 20 cubic metres a day. Ours will have a pump which can supply up to 2 cubic metres an hour and no more than 20 in a day.
I believe the drillers will register it on an Environment Agency database.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Over 4 hours of thunderstorms during the night No electricity so no fan in the bedroom. Very hot and sticky. Electric back at 6.00 am when we got up so at least we could shower. All packed for home. It rained until just south of St Malo. At least its a bit cooler now. No sun much till we could see the Isle of Wight. More storms like that due all week in France, glad we went last week and not this
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 13:34 you have to apply for a licence to abstract water if you are planning to pump more than 20 cubic metres a day
That figure rang a bell - I checked my last water bill - I'm on a meter - and 20 cubic metres is my consumption for each of the last two six month charging periods. Twenty a day should suffice I think. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tripps wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 20:30
Wendyf wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 13:34 you have to apply for a licence to abstract water if you are planning to pump more than 20 cubic metres a day
That figure rang a bell - I checked my last water bill - I'm on a meter - and 20 cubic metres is my consumption for each of the last two six month charging periods. Twenty a day should suffice I think. :smile:
Thanks Wendy. :good:

We use about 7m3 per month for 2 people. It averaged about 10m3 per month when there were 3 of us. We take lots of showers, we don't have a bath, we have a small roof garden and fishpond.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was watching well boring videos on Youtube last night Wendy. Far more efficient than it used to be, you used to have to set a boiler up first.......

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It just struck me this morning Wendy, Sod's Law says that as soon as you get the bore in and functioning it will rain like hell!
I have the shed door open to bring the temperature down before I go in. It's not as solidly built as the house and despite the thick roof insulation it gets warm in the sun. I shall be in there working on the crosshead.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm sure it will!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It was nice to have a breeze yesterday. Last night was the first night in a week I have slept properly.
Yesterday was the dentist followed by yoga, hospice shop , and pilates in the evening. Today the washer is being repaired peoperly. I shall probably finish Julias second summer top. I have now had a request for another from Eve as she likes the first one so much. Its so nice to be appreciated, and I love making for them all. There are only so many things you can make for yourself before the wardrobe is over flowing :laugh5:

As our water butt at home is now empty Bob decided to clean it out yesterday , being full of a silty gunge at the bottom. On moving it he found the storm drain pipe underneath where it stands has broken, so now he has another repair to do. We suspected something was up as the water butt had tipped backwards so with an empty container it was a good time to look.It seems like it has been broken a long time, possibly damaged when we had the conservatory added in the 80 s and over time it has disintegrated.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In comfort terms the east wind is making this weather ideal apart from the need for water Sue.
Water butt sounds like a bit of timely maintenance, I'm all in favour of it......
I shall be looking for the way forwards on the cylinder and engine......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Today is art this morning. I shall hem Julias top this afternoon then that is finished. It is yoga this evening, thankfully a latish class so it may have cooled down. Yesterdays pilates was incredibly hot.

When I went to pilates I followed a very slow car into the car park, a lady with two children driving very slowly but there was loads of parking space. then out of the window came a sweet paper and then a plastic water bottle. I parked, picked them up and walked over to the car and said...I think these are yours... and smiled. The driver said oh thank you and drove out of the car park. It seems she had come just to drop her litter! I doubt I would have been so brave if it had been a youth.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Not doing much to celebrate a lovely summer's day in Chester 43 years ago. We didn't get where we are today having celebrations!! :biggrin2:

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Any cause for a celebration is cause indeed,I ne er miss out. Get out there and have a meal together, you can still talk about your bore hole. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Is that a wedding Wendy? If so congratulations and don't let Col convince you that the borehole is your anniversary present!
I shall be in the shed if time after shopping, I'm cooling it down now with the door open. It got to 85F yesterday!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”