Today I shall be Mainly...

plaques
Donor

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by plaques »

Following up on your rather sad nostalgia picture. Daniel Meadows background to it should lift you a bit. WARNING viewers should close their eyes and ears to the odd expletive. Daniel Meadows No 14.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for the link. Valuable record for we who are fans. Good to hear that the voice almost exactly sounds like what we might expect. He got the four time periods wrong though - I think we are now into the fifth 20 year period. :smile:

I think he should consider more voice recordings. We have plenty of written articles etc, and following the examples from The Lancashire Textile Project I think there should be more audio records to complement them.

I found this site for an Audio Podcast recently . www.anchor.fm I managed to use it so nearly everyone could. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice, that was Janet's favourite pic, she always used it as screen wallpaper.... Daniel has pointed out to me that I have exceeded the 80 years. I told him that what I forgot to add is that anything after that is a bonus and as Bob Bliss told me the other day, I am getting a reputation for being indestructible and he reckons 'orneryness' is a vital component and I should contemplate developing it.
As for the recordings. someone get round here with a list of questions and do an LTP on me.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Sorry about Bertie , Wendy, I feel for you, and for you Stanley as Christmas always brings back memories of such sad events. It is 7 years since my Dad ended up in hospital after a short Christmas illness, passing away just a few short weeks later on his birthday.

On a lighter note we had a fabulous day with Claire and family at her inlaws...one of my best. A big family event in a lovely cozy cottage, lots of laughter lots of fun. Various family members took different courses, we did dessert. Family entertainment in the form of silly magic tricks performed by all, and little Erin charming everyone with her smiles. We have a lovely picture of Adams 97 year old Nana wearing a false moustache drinking a glass of red wine. It was all over far too soon.

Yesterday was a small party at my friends house, low key, buffet tea , lots of chatter. Today is reality, washing, ironing and a trip to the hygienist at the dentist. I even have pilates this evening. There are about 5 classes over the fortnight, each of the teachers taking one class
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't worry about me and memories of Janet Sue. I was always in trouble because I took so many pics. (Oh Dad! Put the camera away!) but now everyone has changed their minds, I have made sure they all have a copy of most of the archive and like me they get so much pleasure from very happy memories. The other factor is that she prepared us so well for the end and when it came it was a release, she had the worst 6 months you could possibly imagine.
I am plotting. I need a new project in the shed now that I have a better expectation of life! Could be expensive. Casting sets are a ridiculous price.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not sure yet. I want a bit of time pottering in the shed I think.....
Could be some industrial scale cooking as well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Streaming head cold, not ill just a streaming nose and blocked sinuses. Bob had it over Christmas and it only lasted three days. Fingers crossed
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

You have my sympathy Sue. I've noticed an improvement this morning, 'er indoors suggested I should go and boil my head yesterday and there's definitely improvement. I'd best elaborate on 'boil my head' just in case anyone takes it literally, a bowl of salted water and a large towel and inhaling 'salty steam' has worked wonders. I won't go into too much detail but I can breathe through my nose, the sinus pain has gone and I can hear the television this morning.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A good old fashioned remedy Kev. Try a bit of menthol in the water. Or Eucalyptus oil, Olbas Oil or something similar. Very soothing and productive.
Aiming for the shed again but I keep missing! I had a big cook yesterday so there's a better chance today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Febby swears by a Hot Lemon and Whiskey Toddy with 2 Disprin dissolved in it...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And if you add a bit of mixed spice (or Cinammon) and butter it really hits the spot!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 04:50 A good old fashioned remedy Kev. Try a bit of menthol in the water. Or Eucalyptus oil, Olbas Oil or something similar.
My standard treatment when my cold gets to the thickstage which it has today.

The Coventry branch of the family arrive today. I just have our bed to chnge as Julia ans Ed will sleep in here. Other than that I have no plans
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We are going out for a walk this morning. Starting at Salterforth along the towpath towards Barlick, crossing over Cockshott Bridge then up the hill almost to Letcliffe before following the footpaths to Dye House, Park Close, Daubers and Foulridge Hall then down to Foulridge Wharf and a coffee at Cafe Cargo. From there it's a straight walk back on the tow path to Salterforth.
We are in the clouds up here, I hope it's a bit less gloomy down below!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 09:02 We are going out for a walk this morning. Starting at Salterforth along the towpath towards Barlick, crossing over Cockshott Bridge then up the hill almost to Letcliffe before following the footpaths to Dye House, Park Close, Daubers and Foulridge Hall then down to Foulridge Wharf and a coffee at Cafe Cargo. From there it's a straight walk back on the tow path to Salterforth.
We are in the clouds up here, I hope it's a bit less gloomy down below!
Sadly not, murky dismal down here.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Never mind! Just got notified of a DPD delivery between 9.30 and 10.30 so by the time we set off it might have brightened up a bit. It's a new weather station that's arriving, the temperature sensor had failed on the old one, Col has used up all his spare parts and replacements are no longer available (Maplin).
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That was a nice walk, though the weather was a bit dull and drizzly most of the time. 5.5 miles with the easiest bit at the end! We came over the pack horse bridge above County Brook Mill and looked for any remains of the old corn mill. I was struck again by the extent of the holly hedging dividing the fields between County Brook and Foulridge, was it all one estate?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Having searched the site for info that you have given before on holly as fodder Stanley, it struck me that the fields hedged with holly are all below the settlement of Hey. You comment about your own farm that Hey is the name for a hedged enclosure. There are other names around the area like Hullet and Hollinhurst, do you think there could be a connection?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Almost certainly Wendy. Then you have New Hague in there as well, another name almost certainly originating in the the same root. Valley bottom land, flood plain, so deep soil and a lack of rock near enough the surface to quarry. Have a look at the latest maps on 'Forgotten Corners'.
Got in the shed yesterday. I need a bit of help. Does anyone have access to a clean heavy plastic container that will hold 15 to 20 litres of cutting oil? If so, I am in the market, I need one.
More shed today I think.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I am still nursing my cold but had a better night last night. This morning I have one big headache, i think I need to boil my head too! Hope it clears before my visitors tonight
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 08:06 I am still nursing my cold but had a better night last night. This morning I have one big headache, i think I need to boil my head too! Hope it clears before my visitors tonight
It made a difference for me :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Boil your head, have a Hot Whiskey toddy with 2 Aspirins and a 40 min afternoon snooze...
Makes you sweat, but clears the pipes ( according to my hubby. I have never needed such a remedy so cannot declare it personally!)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

My dad used to eat a raw onion followed by a hot whiskey. :smile:
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 09:47 Boil your head, have a Hot Whiskey toddy with 2 Aspirins and a 40 min afternoon snooze...
Makes you sweat, but clears the pipes ( according to my hubby. I have never needed such a remedy so cannot declare it personally!)
I wish! With two little grandchildren around not much chance of that. At 1.15 am I have just got into bed. Fabulous evening all round,
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope Sue is in bed now.....
I shall be having a normal day. Bit of everything including some shed. Please remember my plastic container for the cutting oil!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hope you are feeling better Sue. It's been a beautiful day with warm sunshine. We had another five mile walk this morning and I've been cleaning out the hen and duck houses as well as the stables this afternoon. I just need to get everyone inside, fed and shut up for the night before dusk and then I'm looking forwards to putting my feet up in front of the fire.... once I've got logs in and got it going! With a bit of luck Colin will make the tea. :smile:

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”