Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

I was idle yesterday, had a chance of an hour in the shed after cooking but decided against it, I feel the same way today! That's the advantage of being old and retired.......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Don't forget to watch F1 today Stanley! Race starts 2.10pm our time.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Love, I shall be there. It's a bit more interesting this year.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It could be anyone's race today, I'm hoping that Ricciardo wins from the front.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

F1, is that where grown men jump into cars and run round in circles for a set distance? The winner then gets sprayed with Champagne for his troubles. You'll find me in the garden sitting back relaxing and enjoying a bit of sunshine.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Plaques! My hubby can't stand anything that goes "round and round" (to quote him"). That includes horse racing or dog racing.
So he would be happier, sitting in the garden, listening to Soccer! ( as he watches me doing the weeding!)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Each to their own! Colin hates F1 and makes me feel guilty for watching it but it's a link to my youth and I love it. Plenty of time to get outside as well, I'm off for a four mile walk down the clough and back up again.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Wait...I will come with you, Wendy...
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I wish they'd show the Vintage Sports Car Club's races instead, they're far more interesting with a great variety of car types racing together! :smile: VSCC
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You weren't quick enough Maz, sorry I left without you!
Lovely walk but very windy, making chatting quite difficult. My ex neighbour, who I used to walk with regularly before she moved, came over to walk our old route with me. She is 10 years younger than me and very fit, so we move at speed! I deserve a couple of hours in front of the Tele with my feet up. :laugh5:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Continuing with bits of jobs I have on the go (some bigger than others). Putting a new extractor fan in the bathroom, but after offering it up find that it is slightly bigger and all the fixing points are just a tad out from the originals. I will have to remove the old plugs and fill the holes before I can proceed.

Started on replacing my pent shed roof in the back yard. The original felt has ruptured, let water on to the roof which has warped. It needs a new board for the roof and I'm going to replace the waterproof membrane with rubber. Made a start today by removing the soffit boards. 8 year old screws open to the elements take a bit of shifting. I have price up the new roof board form the lads at Briggs and Duxbury and can get a kit with the rubber sheeting and adhesive from a site online. They supply for every shed and garage size known to man, the price is comparable to mineralised felt but the rubber has a 25 year guarantee, it will certainly see this shed out.

Waiting for a call from Sally for a pickup time from Skipton station for her and our Ruby who will be with us for half term. Then later we are going up to Grassington to meet up with our Carla and family who are camping up there, Ant is providing a barbecue tea. :smile:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Is it now slow women and fast cars or are we still on ... :surprised: . women and fast cars?
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I've never been particularly attracted to either... :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had my mid life crisis fast car phase. Two Lancia Fulvia's, the most annoying and yet enchanting motors I have ever come across.
The Monaco GP was riveting. It proved the Jackie Stuart theory that the object of F1 was to win whilst going as slowly as possible and yes, Wendy's favourite won after a wonderfully controlled drive.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Waiting for delivery of my rubber roofing materials for our pent shed in the back yard, I got the new OSB roofing sheet from Scott at B&D yesterday, Stephen in the joinery shop cut it to exact size for me.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sods law at work here, TNT has just delivered my consignment but only had half my order. They delivered the bonding adhesive but no EPDM sheeting despite their tracking showing two items. I rang TNT to chase assuming it was still on the van but that's not the case according to them. They say only one item was scanned in! That begs the question why their tracking documents should show 2 items? No actual paperwork of course as it's all done electronically. I have rung the supplier and they are chasing and will re-despatch as required but I will have to stay in tomorrow as well now for the delivery. Someone has cocked up somewhere down the line. :sad:
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Must be an unlucky day Ian. Hope you sort it out.
I've just received a 1200 x 800 mms panel with one quarter round corner. It was damaged in transit. It had a triangular piece 80 x 100 broken off at one corner. It came all the way from Shanghai so I'm not surprised really. I had to cut out a section from one corner to allow for pipework but it meant I had to fit it upside down, with the quarter round corner at the bottom instead of the top, only a small aesthetic problem. If I had a jigsaw and the necessary skill I could put a quarter round on the top corner and it would be perfect again! I sent photos to the supplier and got a 30% refund instead of returning it, a satisfactory outcome.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Sitting at Vancouver airport, waiting for flight to San Francisco to connect to Washington D C. Great cruise lovely staff but rubbish customer care. Poor disability care for our friend and they have lost two cases when we came ashore! Watch this space.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah Sue! You have to be ready for the unexpected when you travel as you well know.... Lost bags are annoying! Worst is finding yourself in the wrong country! That's happened to me more than once, both times down to the airline and weather conditions.
I shall be plugging quietly away and getting some time in the shed......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The rubber roof folk were true to their word and reshipped the EPDM which turned up at 11.00 this morning. Fine day so I cracked on with the roof replacement. I took off the remains of the old felt and the top panels from the shed. Fortunately when I built the shed The two roof panels were only nailed on so came off reasonably easy, they were both warped and I had to remove multiple nails that had pulled through the 5mm HD board of the originals. The 18mm OSB sheet in a single piece is a vast improvement and my measuring and the cutting was bang on for the fit. I drilled, countersunk and then screwed the new roof down with 1.75" No 8 screws. I sanded all the edges and then offered up the EPDM dry, it had come folded in two and then rolled so laying it out over the shed roof in the sunshine soon relieved it of any creasing. The sheeting ordered was 2.1m x 1.2m for the 6 x 3 pent shed, they supplied generously over that, more like 10ft x 5ft so I had quite bit to trim off. I had a bit of dinner and then cracked open the deck adhesive. I folded it back by about a third and working from the front using a 2" brush applied the adhesive across the full width. I rolled back the EPDM and smoothed and bedded it down. I then moved round to the back and repeated the adhesive application and fixing for the centre third and finally the back third. I smoothed it out using a 4" square dry paint pad. I let it cure off for about half an hour and then trimmed the overhang all the way round. I then just worked my way round each side securing each with more adhesive and then tacking the sides down with large head short galvanised nails. When they had dried off, I folded the corners over and secured these fold overs with screws, three layers of rubber to secure so screws were a better option than trying to nail them down. These will be covered when I re-fix the soffit boards which will be easier to sand up before I put them back on.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 31 May 2018, 02:44 Ah Sue! You have to be ready for the unexpected when you travel as you well know.... Lost bags are annoying! Worst is finding yourself in the wrong country! That's happened to me more than once, both times down to the airline and weather conditions.
I shall be plugging quietly away and getting some time in the shed......
Its been very eventful...broken cases, lost cases, rude customer service, lack of disabled care. Long long story, and total denial they lost the cases and not us.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Friday is butcher's day and shopping. I'm organised so I might get an hour in the shed as well on my doorknocker!

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A bit of supermarket shopping and an hour in the shed I think.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yesterdays efforts after taking Sally and Ruby to the station was to finish off the shed. I sanded and painted the soffit boards and then fitted them.

A good view of my new roof taken from the back.

Then gave the whole shed another coat of our "Mountain Blue" fence paint.

I painted over the alloy hinges as it was easier, I will give them a rub over with steel wool to tidy them up. The slide bolt needs cleaning up and a coat of enamel. Ill do that at the same time as refurbishing the gate which needs a bit of similar TLC and some new furniture.

Today it's "The Big Red Picnic" up at Clarion House so I will be making a visit. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

That'll keep it serviceable for a few more years, good job.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”