Today I shall be Mainly...

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Big Kev »

Cathy wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 08:12 Oh my goodness... My name might be said in Barlick!!
I am imagining Stanley saying to Big Kev "It's all good mate, no worries, it's only because Cathy said ..."
Love it :smile: :smile: :smile:
Hahaha! I'm grateful for the reminder, it's on the mantelpiece now so it won't slip my mind :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Rub all fingerprints off!!!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a thought as I was going to bed for my sleep..... The tiny Hydramite Jack was in a treasure chest upstairs.... It will lift 5 tons even though it's only marginally bigger than my pint pot. The puller was waiting at the back door, another mighty midget as Kev will testify. I'll bet that will pull 5 toms as well! (PS. No problems between me and Kev, ever....)
As for the bolt cutters, amazing how stuff can get lost under the bench in the shed. There's a lot of stuff in there!
By the way, the modern version of the Tangye jack is 6.5Ton and is listed at over £500.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its mighty hot here in Beaune and the next few days are heading towards 40 degrees. We will be heading back to Brittany tomorrow , it will be a warm drive but getting cooler. Back tothe house on Tuesday at 29 -31 degrees. Claire and family arrive on Friday...I thought it was Thursday. We have visited lots of Places and historic sites around and as usual taken loads of photos. We have just got back to our hotel room after 6 hours sight seeing and walking. Thank goodness for air conditioning, its nice to cool down.
If you keep searching you will find it
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

No effort at all to pull the wiper arm off the spindle, a very useful tool. I've used a tiny jack like that to lift a big RSJ, surprising how useful they can be at that size.

No problems at all, I would have remembered it as soon as I looked on the shelf next to the box of spanners. I'm sure if it was needed I would have been asked :-)

Thank you again for the loan of it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have been to collect 4 new pullets from the other side of Keighley. They are Rhode Island Red crossed with Light Sussex and are big good looking girls! Hoping they will settle in quickly and lay us some nice brown eggs. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

you're welcome Kev.
Wendy, what a nice old fashioned cross. I'll bet they do well. One of the things that has always caught my attention is the number of hen fanciers and breeders that there used to be in our neck of the woods. Keeping 'Fancies' was always a popular hobby and I suspect at one point exceeded the number of homing pigeons!
My furtling in search of the jack and bolt-cutter has triggered off several ideas for small shed projects.
Otherwise looking after myself and Jack!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its 36 degrees and 6.10 pm in Chaillac, where we are staying tonight on our way back to Brittany from Beaune . Its a bit warm and very humid. We are lying on the bed in our B&B room, blinds shut, windows open and fan on. Just about to have a shower before we eat. Warmer tomorrow but hopefully a cooler breeze in Brittany. No breeze here, rural and inland.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be avoiding the heat today and nursing my ribs. I must have strained something when I was getting those bolt cutters out from under the bench.... So many things trigger aches these days!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

So windy here again today that we don't dare go for a walk. There were 4 huge gum trees uprooted on our walk yesterday. You don't want a gum tree landing on you! Very dangerous around here in high winds.
I've been waiting for things to calm down so I can put the bins out, but if I put them out now they will end up at the end of the street. ( and I am not picking rubbish up in this wind)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds nasty Maz. We are having very quiet weather and today will be the hottest day of the year. 27C forecast.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

27C Gosh. Grab a book, a garden chair and get some extra vitamin D and a tan ! :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Feels cooler this morning at 24, breakfast and then out on the road to be back to Brittany before it hits 39 . Thank goodness for car air conditioning even though it makes me hoarse.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Should have said "Gosh 27C in Barlick". Haha
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, there is a downside.... The number of pairs of inappropriate shorts will rise dramatically.....

I have started the day as I mean to go on, ignore the heat and I am doing some cooking.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Back at the house, 39 degrees and a very dehydrated vegetable garden
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

...and doesn't the heat sap your strength...I feel for you...I stay quietly indoors with the blinds drawn and drink lots of water. I can never eat much when it is hot, but I never seem to lose any weight, probably because I don't move much.
Much more pleasant here today now that the wind has calmed. Heading out for a walk shortly, to see how many more trees have been uprooted. Must sweep outside the front door too, as the leaf litter has collected.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Survived the heat nicely yesterday with plenty of sleep and a very good sleep last night despite the heat and lightning.
Will be doing the same today, plenty of small jobs in the shed but i CAN QUITE HAPPIPLY IGNORE THEM! (Bugger caps lock!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 00:51 ...and doesn't the heat sap your strength...I feel for you...I stay quietly indoors with the blinds drawn and drink lots of water.
Exactly. On returning we stayed indoors, i did all the holiday washing in 4 small sorted loads. All washed and dried and put away or ready for ironing before we went to bed.

I didn’t sleep well last night. We had the air cooler on all night. We don’t have air con in the house, but each room is equipped with a portable fan and some with ceiling fans. We have now put electric air coolers in each bedroom, work well but very noisy. It was the noise that disturbed me,

Today I must change our bedding and wash the towels as well as preparing the beds and rooms for our visitors. Outside I need to prune back the wisteria that provides shade to our outdoor seating area. In 5 days it has grown vigorously, obscuring my climbing runner beans that are growing up the support poles. Otherwise a bit of shopping. Bob wants to look at wash basins for the new ensuite he is building in the mater bedroom.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have to report I slept like a log here in the Norf.....
One thing that struck me this morning as we walked round in the relatively cool and humid morning, this is perfect growing weather, you can almost hear the grass growing on the Green. There should be some very good silage crops this year which is insurance for the winter and this may be needed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Just dead headed and general garden tidy
009F0AFE-F1AC-4DA3-A476-0222C5B0C153.jpeg
68D1DCC5-5A7C-4A3E-BE9B-6143641323DD.jpeg

and now it is getting rather warm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sue on 24 Jul 2019, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

He is wearing jeans. Get that man into shorts!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Old photo, last week. He is in shorts and was buried in the foliage cutting it this morning. I too was in shorts but now a dress as its cooler with no waistband
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Probably going to the river this afternoon. We have the Silsden grandchildren, Isla and Fin today as our Carla is going into school to sort her classroom now that schools out. A bit fresher here after the storm but still warm enough.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On the whole I think it best not to inflict my shorts on the general public. I shall wear a light pair of trousers instead today.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”