Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

. Things are opening up aren't they Sue. My experience with mask wearing is the same as yours, the young ones. Another thing I have noticed is they do not give you space, you have to take it!

Yes agreed, the younger people were randomly wandering everywhere. We have found dog walkers and real walkers to be great at giving you space and often having a chat too but groups of younger people not so, and I don’t mean teenagers I mean people in their 20 s
If you keep searching you will find it
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Big Kev wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 20:42 There's a 15mm x 4mm strip of metal, with a short 90 degree end on it, that engages with a piece on the strike hammer shaft to support the weight of the hammers which has broken.
It wouldn't be an engineers method of choice, but could a blob of Araldite be the answer..?
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PostmanPete wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 08:28
Big Kev wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 20:42 There's a 15mm x 4mm strip of metal, with a short 90 degree end on it, that engages with a piece on the strike hammer shaft to support the weight of the hammers which has broken.
It wouldn't be an engineers method of choice, but could a blob of Araldite be the answer..?
That was something I considered but I have a potential new part :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 08:07 . Things are opening up aren't they Sue. My experience with mask wearing is the same as yours, the young ones. Another thing I have noticed is they do not give you space, you have to take it!

Yes agreed, the younger people were randomly wandering everywhere. We have found dog walkers and real walkers to be great at giving you space and often having a chat too but groups of younger people not so, and I don’t mean teenagers I mean people in their 20 s
Sadly there are a lot of people who don't believe Covid-19 is a threat to them or others.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

ENJOY YOUR EASTER EVERYONE
1E9B7317-11B6-4843-99CE-536FE9905422.png
:laugh5:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Cathy wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 11:24 ENJOY YOUR EASTER EVERYONE

1E9B7317-11B6-4843-99CE-536FE9905422.png

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Love it Cathy. I think my ears have been eaten too....
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same to you Cathy.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Another lovely day yesterday, a perfect day for meeting Claire in the garden and a walk down to and round the local park. It was at least 3 degrees warmer in Preston than Rochdale. Today promises to be another nice day , the last for a few days. It wasn't too crowded in the park or out and about and everyone was being polite and moving to one side etc

First of all its Bacup market, where as well as the usual provisions i shall be buying grow bags and compost for growing tomato plants and some more seeds too . Some have failed to germinate and I think it was because they were in my seed stocks and a couple of years old, not having planted any last year. The newly bought seeds are doing well. Later today I have a batch of plant plugs to plant that arrived yesterday just before we went out. We don’t plan on doing much else, we may walk but it will be busy round here which we don’t like, and so difficult to find a suitable route. I may just potter in the garden and sit in the sun.

Have a good day everyone.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We had a good sunny day in the garden too...31C...can’t complain. Neighbours seem to be having Easter visitors, and voices get louder as more drinkies are consumed 😆
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What are plant plugs Sue?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Have just spent a cheery twenty minutes being enthralled by the birds in our garden...we both enjoyed the visitors. ( I swear these little birds get bigger every generation). Nice to watch with a glass of wine. They ignored us as we sat quietly. Much fun!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It got complicated in the shed. I had to drill holes at a specific angle and had to get the Moore and Wright protractor out and use it. Doesn't happen very often. It worked, I got the 1/16" holes in the right place. Breakfast now and second sleep.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 07:00 What are plant plugs Sue?
Small plants that have been grown in plastic moulded trays . The mouldings each hold one plant which pull out easily for potting on , ie pull out like plugs I suppose.
CABD6124-C84B-4E96-BDB7-85E4382A2C2B.jpeg

The plastic trays are often hinged so they can be folded up to protect the plants in the post
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Sue..... I live and learn. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

More tiny holes to drill in the cylinder (and then even more complicated ones in the stand!). Bugger small engines!
As for the rest of the day, the usual exercise and reading. One job does loom though outside in the yard and today may be the right day to do it.
The day has gone to pot already. Deboning the chops and getting the mutton and peas going led to the realisation I had an almost empty freezer and the obvious thing to do is defrost it ready for the next delivery of mutton next week.
The best laid schemes o' mice and men gang aft aglay.....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a thick mist this morning, what happens later I am not sure. Yesterday we both did quite a bit of gardening after our trip to the market. I bought some more seeds to replace the ones that had not germinated, but did not buy tomato seeds. The plant man had some sturdy good sized tomato plants which I bought instead. By the end of yesterday they were looking very healthy in the greenhouse after a good watering so today I may pot them up into larger pots. I am rapidly running out of space in there and may struggle to find room for the larger pots. There are things that have been over wintering that I can move outside but I would prefer to wait until this really cold spell is over.

Today we have a zoom chat with our friends Jean and Bob, but I have nothing else planned. Being Sunday I will probably do a chapter and assessment of my embroidery or meteorology courses, and I have some sewing to do. I shall just take it as it comes. I have just remembered that I some replacement sweet peas to plant as half the first ones did not germinate

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 03:16 I had an almost empty freezer and the obvious thing to do is defrost it ready for the next delivery of mutton next week.
Both ours are frost free, saves a lot of hassle. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah, pensioners struggling on the bread line have to have the cheapest appliances Ian.... :biggrin2:
I shall be in the shed doing tiny things I think. I say I think because I have no great enthusiasm for this engine.
Apart from that, keeping warm; the wind chill today will keep us sub zero all day and later this morning down to -7C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Snow this morning ans 0.9 degrees and more snow forecast throughout the day.. despite few plans yesterday I kept busy. After a long debate we decided to go for a walk, just a short circuit of 3 miles. I rearranged the staging in my greenhouse so that my tomato plants will be able to grow to a better height than last year before reaching the slope of the glass roof, and generally pottered in the green house, garden and my sewing. Today will be i door activities, more sewing and a bit of my online course. I am busy making cropped trousers and shorts for the summer as most of mine are in France. Thats about it really.

Have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You won't want cropped clothes this morning Sue, with the wind chill we will get down to -7C unseasonably cold.

I have bored the standard for the shaft the cylinder rocks on and the crankshaft. They are both a good fit but don't cheer too soon. I am beginning to think something has changed in my bad eye because every bloody hole I drill looks good until I have done it then it is not central. I can't do anything about that, it's a fact of life. I shall just keep plodding on and hope for the best.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I forgot to mention, I keep my small parts in a little plastic box with a secure lid, nothing worse than losing tiny screws etc. This morning my sleeve caught the open box and sent it and its contents flying. It took me almost twenty minutes on my hands and knees to find them. All that was missing was a 7BA nut but I have plenty of them.
All part of the rich pattern of shed experience!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, did you get your bit of metal for the clock?
I shall be aiming for the hour in the shed but not sure what I shall be doing yet. There will be a cold but sunny walk later this morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Another beautiful sunny morning with clear blue skies, if somewhat cold -1 C and ice on the pond. Despite yesterdays snow it soon cleared to a beautiful but very cold day. I pottered in the greenhouse and did my sewing. I altered my new pattern somewhat so that I can make the crops again with a better fit. I have more fabric on order. In the evening I completed the third embroidery assessment. Its interesting but I thought it was going to be more practice than theory.

I shall take Claire’s sewing machine for its repair today, and I have a couple of other things to do. A friend gave me a recipe for some biscuits which I shall make. I am not a great biscuit person but these sounded like I would like them. I also need to sort out some photographs of our cats as Briony would like to see some. No doubt that will trigger all sorts of memories and initiate a cupboard tidy up too. The cupboard above our bed is packed with photo albums.

So thats it, a few jobs and possibly a walk, now the holiday weekend is over and shouldn’t be too busy on our main routes that seem to cut across all our walks.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It should be a good day for a walk Sue as long as you are well wrapped up. We are promised temperatures as low as -7C when you factor in the wind chill.
I have had an hour and a half in the shed doing tiny things again!

The lids are ready for fitting and the cylinder is ready for mounting and cladding. Now for the passages in the standard. Not looking forwards to that at all. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”