Today I shall be Mainly...

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Marilyn »

I sleep on my side, so need a pillow. Sleeping on the injured shoulder is most comfortable. If I sleep on the other side, I need to support the injured arm with a seperate pillow. If it is not supported, I get a dragging sensation. Very comfy with the support pillow, but I get a very sore ear if I sleep on that side, which wakes me up and I have to switch back to the other side. I'm very busy at night, constantly turning over! Not to mention flipping 'the pillow under my head every time I turn, because I hate a warm pillow! It's a full time job tossing and turning...and trying to keep track of a twisted nightie adds to the fiddle...
Can't sleep on my back, as I keep getting prodded awake for snoring!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I mainly sleep on my stomach , my pillow is the inside of a cushion wrapped in a pillowcase. Can't be doing with 'normal' pillows, they give me neck ache problems. The whole lot goes easily into the washing machine too.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I think that when you sleep alone, you probably sleep better. I wake Dave up when he is noisy. At other times he seems to wrestle imaginary beasts, and he has been known to score the odd soccer goal in his sleep. I snore ( apparently) if I sleep on my back but not on my side. He won't come at the thought of single beds or different bedrooms. So we just have to put up with each other. I often feel chronically sleep deprived. I get tired early but he likes to watch TV in the bedroom until late. He wakes early, so we are both awake. It is just the way life is ( I need 8 hours and he only needs 6 hours). What do you do?!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 07:19 any diagnosis should have been based on a a starvation blood test and not after a full lunch not 45 mintes before!
The hba1c test that I have doesn't require fasting as it works by getting 'information' from blood cells rather than the glucose levels in my blood.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 09:32
Sue wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 07:19 any diagnosis should have been based on a a starvation blood test and not after a full lunch not 45 mintes before!
The hba1c test that I have doesn't require fasting as it works by getting 'information' from blood cells rather than the glucose levels in my blood.
Apparently that is the test they do. I asked lots of questions because none of the advice they give fits my situation. Anyway we will see what this test throws up. Fingers crossed it will be normal . As no advice they give is appropriate, ie I am optimum weight, I do at least 5 hours of exercise a week, have a healthy diet eating all the recommended stuff etc etc.no one can give me any other suggestions on what to do. It appears they do not treat pre diabetes in any other way therefore there will be no change in my case. I was reading an article today that was saying diagnosing prediabetes can actually cause more damage by the stress and worry it can create. It also said that it is a diagnosis used mainly by America and has not been accepted as either relevant or reliable by the WHO
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think that's fairly common Sue, my blood tests are superb, better than my daughters but I am still classed as pre-diabetic. But look on the bright side, if I hadn't been on the diabetic panel and subject to regular tests they wouldn't have picked my cancer up early......
Quietly away in the shed.
Posting the enormous form I filled in yesterday for Attendance Allowance. I don't need it yet beyond hospital travel but I was advised by the benefits people to claim now as it is a long process and if my demands get greater I am on the system and Susan can claim as my carer. It will be a lot easier and quicker then.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thats a very positive way to look at it Stanley.

Well my jacket fitting went well yesterday so moving on to stage two I now need to plan and decide on the sleeve and neckline styles. Next session is somtime before Christmas, which I hope I cannfit in with my rapidly filling up calendar.

Today is art this morning, a U3A general meeting this afternoon with a talk and later this evening a fast yoga session. That should be interesting as after this weeks exertions my body feels like it has been rolled over by a steam roller. Its good for me I say :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"my body feels like it has been rolled over by a steam roller. Its good for me I say"
There speaks a good masochist! I'll bet you like bad tasting medicine as well.
As for being positive, I think you would be just the same.
A good start to the day, another article written, I am up to 21st December now. I was going into the shed and decided I had to clean the inside of the windows after doing the outside the other day. It involved the steps and some elbow grease but I have to report they are close to being clean! I can certainly see out of them clearly now.
Oh, and while I was up there I polished the curtain pole with wax polish, make drawing the curtains a pleasure.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today is shopping and a bit of shed. Normal routines are being adhered to! Most important and I am convinced that this is the best way to deal with the present circumstances. It seems to be working. BP is down to normal over two days after a month of high readings. Onward and upward!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Art and a late lunch with friends. Bob is out this evening, so its feet up and chill out watching TV. Mind you I would probably do the same if he was in.

With Christmas presents bought, or nearly, I may turn my mind to planning my Christmas cards. I usually use Vista Print to print one of my winter paintings as a card. This year I want to use a painting from my Monday class with a bit of a dedication to my lovely art teacher who died last month. Designing is very quick and easy and delivery the same. Once again I shall be reducing my list to keep postal costs down.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Not sending cards, and don't do presents...so I am done! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same here Maz. I don't do cards and I give presents during the year when people least expect them. Much more of a good surprise that way.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Looking after myself and Jack, maintaining my life and doing an hour in the shed!

Therein lies sanity and a quiet productive life.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We have this conversation before. My present giving list is small, immediate family , plus a couple of friends who are particularly good human beings helping us out or being nice ‘aunts and uncles’ to the grandchildren. I do not give presents to receive in return. The pleasure is in the giving. My cards again go to similar people plus long term friends who I rarely see but like to keep in touch with. Those who can get email versions of the same card that I design at vista print. These people all deserve to be remembered. Casual acquaintances, members of groups I attend do not get cards. This year my card is a copy of one of the many lovely winter scenes painted in my Monday art class. The card is dedicated to the teacher of the same class, who died quickly from cancer in October. There is little else I can do to pay tribute to her, especially as we were away when it was her funeral.

Our Christmas presents to each other are a new food mixer bought in a huge sale in France, and my new car which should arrive in December. We rarely give presents to each other as birthdays rapidly follow.

Today we are going to a wine tasting event in Manchester called THREE WINE MEN. We go every year and combine it with a browse round the Christmas market. I love the atmosphere although rarely buy much except unusual cheeses. As there is a train strike today we will use the tram, which will take us from Rochdale town centre all the way to the venue...on our bus passes for free!

Today
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 07:48 Same here Maz. I don't do cards and I give presents during the year when people least expect them. Much more of a good surprise that way.
And I do that too.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The cheese would attract me as well Sue. Have a good time!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later.... Housework and cooking have interfered with the shed...... Never mind, good work is being done!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wrote my last article for 2018 yesterday, did some cooking and light housework, shopped for veggies and milk and never got in the shed. No rush, it was a productive day apart from that.
I'm hoping to get in there today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hubby did some exterior painting. I did some art today. Both enjoyed ourselves..
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My day has started with yet another flush of cooking. A steak pudding in a water bath simmering and cooking ready for dinner. Carrots, parsnips and cauliflower cooked and mashed with butter and Garlic (sorry Maz!) and at the moment I'm grilling a batch of sausages for Jack's early morning snack. I'm mulling over the rest of the week's food but I don't need to address that today.
I shall be in the shed by 8AM!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See Shed Matters for yesterday's total cock-up! Can't wait to get back in there this morning to reduce the chaos to some order! I think I'm getting old......
Some last minute shopping and getting geared up for the hospital tomorrow. Thankfully only a matter of a couple of hours or so....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

I made a batch of bread and butter pickles. Not sure what you non Aussies call them.
Liz
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You have me scurrying for my CWA cookbook, Liz. ( I have heard of it, but don't recall the recipe).
( I found this wonderful CWA ( Country Women's Association) cookbook (folder thingy) at the markets. Wonderful thing).
I can't get along with one of their scone recipes, funnily enough...the CWA being famous for scones! But then I also have my Green and Gold.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Never heard of them, what are they?
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Not heard of them either. On the basic culinary literature front we have the BeRo Book of course in the UK. You could do far worse than having a copy of that.

Just Googled it and we would probably call it a type of sweet and sour chutney.

Bread & Butter Pickles
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”