Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

These things happen Sue and it was a vicious little spell of weather yesterday. Owd Betts is a handy little short cut to Rochdale from Barlick and I used to use it regularly. One of the most hairy pieces of snow driving I ever had was going over it one morning when I worked at REW. I travelled furthest and was the only one on time that morning....
Point Bob at the scrapyards, it's amazing what you can find in them!
More TLC today but things are improving, same medicine again I think!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 03:45 These things happen Sue and it was a vicious little spell of weather yesterday. Owd Betts is a handy little short cut to Rochdale from Barlick and I used to use it regularly. One of the most hairy pieces of snow driving I ever had was going over it one morning when I worked at REW. I travelled furthest and was the only one on time that morning....
Point Bob at the scrapyards, it's amazing what you can find in them!
More TLC today but things are improving, same medicine again I think!
There are a few wild roads out of here. Deerplay moor to Burnley was a regular for visiting Mum and Dad, also a hell of a road in the snow, as is Bacup road to Todmorden which we travel regularly to the U3A. At least there is an alternative for that one by going through Littleborough. Yesterday I had suggested we went home from Ramsbottom via Bury and Heywood but at the time the snow was not too bad. It just got heavier as we climbed the hill. It would have been ok had the road been gritted on the Rochdale end. We passed the gritter going up as we limped home into Rochdale. They had a weeks warning too that it would snow yesterday.

Yes I think it may be a scarp yard job. Unfortunately the insurance company has a recognised repairer who is collecting the car this morning, it will all depend on what they say. We have a local man who normally does all our work on the Volvo but he was closed yesterday. We of course had to contact the insurance company as another car was damaged and tgen it was out of our hands.

Hope you are feeling ok today Stanley, its a tough few weeks for you again.

Its a sewing day again as I tackle a trial collar for Bob’s shirt. We may go for a walk although there was snow forecast again. Its chilly out there.

.........Change of plan, no walk as we are waiting for the car to be collected. I shall goto the Local History library to see if I can find an answer to one or two questions for my book.
Last edited by Sue on 29 Jan 2020, 08:26, edited 2 times in total.
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It doesn’t take long to do a collar...( have more confidence Sue, and just go for it) :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm much improved today thanks Sue for asking. You're right about Deerplay and Shiney Ford to Tod. Deerplay is one of the last places in Britain to get Spring, including the North of Scotland! I remember watching a man building a house up there facing directly out into the teeth of the weather coming in over the Rossendale Valley. I always said that even the crows look poor up there!
Good luck with the collar!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It was bad up here yesterday morning as well, I didn't see any gritters out early on and when that bad storm came through about 9.30am the road looked horrendous with cars sliding everywhere.
I got concerned for my neighbour's father who still comes up to the farm every day to do a bit of walling or mole trapping. He had parked his car up in our field just after 8am and we saw him set off down the field towards the beck with his mole catching equipment. Just after 9 the sky started to look threatening and i couldn't see Tom anywhere down the field, there is a steep cutting where the beck runs and I started to worry that he may have slipped or worse. I set off to look for him just as the snowstorm arrived but didn't find him so I hoped he had gone to my neighbours on the other side for shelter. Got back home and contacted his son who let me know a bit later that they had managed to track him down....safe and warm. Luckily he had started carrying a mobile phone, probably after he had a stroke in the middle of a field whilst feeding sheep a year or so ago.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 08:24 It doesn’t take long to do a collar...( have more confidence Sue, and just go for it) :biggrin2:
This is not your normal collar. I am using a tailoring technique I have never used before . The collar and neckband are very curved and very stiff because of the type of interfacing being used. The interfacing is preventing me from turning the collar with a very neat edge. I cannot use the method Maxine told me to use but have worked out a different method which I will try later, however I have now got diverted with a chapter in my book and some further research. I have been at our local studies library all morning.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

booking my summer holiday. 2 weeks on P&O's Britannia around the Med, should be nice.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be glamping in Barlick all summer.
Sue, did you pick up the tip about dissolving polyester stitching in cotton garments to disassemble them? You just put them in a microwave.
Today more of the same, must be in top order for Monday, the last treatment of this course. So TLC all day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 02:58 I shall be glamping in Barlick all summer.
Sue, did you pick up the tip about dissolving polyester stitching in cotton garments to disassemble them? You just put them in a microwave.
Today more of the same, must be in top order for Monday, the last treatment of this course. So TLC all day!
No ! I didn’t know that tip Stanley, however in this case it may also affect the glue on the interfacing of the fabric. I have resolved some of the issues with the collar and will have another go today, on my toile. Its certainly not as easy as the collar on all my shirts, of which I have made many. Its the stiffener that is really causing the problem. Its not very flexible and is rather thick compared to normal interfacing, but I am getting there.

This morning I have a two hour art workshop in Rawtenstall, this afternoon may be sewing or a bit of my book, tonight is yoga. I shall have to be home promptly at lunchtime so Bob can use my car, he is still busy emptying the workshop of his friend who died in September.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Enquire into it before you try it Sue. I heard it in an interview with a man who was recycling old clothes.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Butcher's and shopping today. I shall again be doing as little as possible! Must be on top form for Monday's final infusion of this cycle. Then I can have a holiday from Airedale for a while with any luck.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

How many more times will you have to have these rounds of treatment Stanley, after you have completed this course?

I did some sewing yesterday afternoon. The craft group has a project every year. This year is to make Twiddle or sensory blankets for people with dementia. They are patchwork squares of fabric about 20 inches square, backed with warm fabric sewn together like a cushion cover . They must be washable The front has items of different textures sewn securely on to them so the person can literally twiddle with them rather than pulling and picking at themselves . Apparently they have been found to be very beneficial .

So I raided my fabric scraps yesterday and cut out and made 10 patchwork fronts, I also found sufficient fabric for 6 backs. I may have to raid some one else's store or buy some cheap quilting for the other backs. I acquired two old shirts from Bob, cut off the button fronts and stitched some on to the front of a couple of the patchwork pieces. These can then be used for opening and closing buttons stimulating memory. I have a bag full of other bits to stitch on today at craft. These blankets should give me plenty to do over the next few months when I don’t want to do the other craft activities, like today. Todays activity is to make a soft Japanese bag, I have already made one of these myself and use it for my pilates and yoga stuff so I did not want to make another.

We will be eating with friends today as it is Friday, but will have to go at tea time as they are expecting the washer repair man at lunchtime.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Just heard, our car is too expensive to repair. We have been given an excellent valuation though.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"How many more times will you have to have these rounds of treatment Stanley, after you have completed this course?"
I don't know Sue. That will depend on what they decide after cystoscopy in March. They are very conservative, the principle seems to be that the safest course is to regard you as in remission due to the treatment. My guess is that if I am still clear they'll extend the interval until the next round of treatment, 6 months perhaps? I have no problems with this as it seems to be working!
"Just heard, our car is too expensive to repair. We have been given an excellent valuation though."
That's what happened with me. I persuaded them to give me £500, less than the valuation, desist from writing it off, and repaired it myself with parts from the scrapyard. All totally legal and saves them money. Just a thought......
Today is TLC as usual. I'll be glad when I reach next Wednesday as by then I'll be improving with any luck! Until then I look after myself!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We have been offered a surprisingly substantial amount for the car, far more than we would have got part exchange if we had changed the car later in the year as we planned. Apparently the headlamp wasn’t available but there was also the cost of taking the wing off to check for no further damage. It seems odd to me as it was a very slow bump rather than a major crash. Someone is going to get a good car there as a crash write off, a headlamp from a scrapyard and it will be ok. The registration was JNX, and we always felt it was a bit jinxed, although our payout is far from it.

Today we are going to Leeds on the train. We have a John Lewis voucher from Christmas, so preferring Leeds to the Trafford centre, decided to go up there. Its also the Yorkshire Pudding Festival and my love of said savoury speciality requires me to have a look and see what it is all about :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like a good deal Sue....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Sue wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 07:24 We have been offered a surprisingly substantial amount for the car, far more than we would have got part exchange if we had changed the car later in the year as we planned. Apparently the headlamp wasn’t available but there was also the cost of taking the wing off to check for no further damage. It seems odd to me as it was a very slow bump rather than a major crash. Someone is going to get a good car there as a crash write off, a headlamp from a scrapyard and it will be ok. The registration was JNX, and we always felt it was a bit jinxed, although our payout is far from it.

Today we are going to Leeds on the train. We have a John Lewis voucher from Christmas, so preferring Leeds to the Trafford centre, decided to go up there. Its also the Yorkshire Pudding Festival and my love of said savoury speciality requires me to have a look and see what it is all about :laugh5:
Make an offer to the insurance company for the damaged car and repair it yourself? The offer doesn't need to be much, I would suggest just above scrap value.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today will be another quiet TLC day and I shall get my ducks in a row for tomorrow. Roll on Wednesday!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

chinatyke wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 03:21
Sue wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 07:24 We have been offered a surprisingly substantial amount for the car, far more than we would have got part exchange if we had changed the car later in the year as we planned. Apparently the headlamp wasn’t available but there was also the cost of taking the wing off to check for no further damage. It seems odd to me as it was a very slow bump rather than a major crash. Someone is going to get a good car there as a crash write off, a headlamp from a scrapyard and it will be ok. The registration was JNX, and we always felt it was a bit jinxed, although our payout is far from it.

Make an offer to the insurance company for the damaged car and repair it yourself? The offer doesn't need to be much, I would suggest just above scrap value.
I was given the opportunity to buy mine back. It was a category N (non structural write off) it was only an old car though. The insurance company paid out £1500, I bought it back from them for £150 and it cost me £200 for a new wing and £40 for an MOT (just to ensure it was safe).
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Complicated stuff! I am glad I am out of car ownership.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We have been offered over £3000 with the going rate at about £2700. Its tempting to do it ourself but at the end of the day we have been unable to find a headlamp, we would rather take the money, put money to it that we were already going to spend and replace it as planned. It is our summer car ie the convertible we use in France. Also there is the time to repair it and the inclination neither of which Bob has these days. He feels his days or car repairing are over there is much more fun to be had making other things
Last edited by Sue on 03 Feb 2020, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good man, I know the feeling well! Its called focussing on priorities!
You all know what I am doing today..... Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

This morning a swim, this afternoon visiting a car sales place in Burnley to see what they have. Art this evening.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue. If its Motor Point you are visiting there are lots of road works at the Rossendale Rd / Accrington Rd junction. It may be better to approach it from the Gannow Lane / Rosegrove lane side.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Isn't this site good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”