Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Slept like a log last night, woke at just past 8.00, feel tons better this morning. Family justgone and I am in the process of returning the home to a quiet domain for two.
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 02:55 Please remember my plastic container for the cutting oil!
We might have an empty 25l oil container but it won't be cleaned out. Col took some to the tip before Xmas.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Doesn't matter Wendy if it has had oil in it. Hope you escaped Red Mite in the huts!
Sue, sleep cures almost everything!

I did useful things in the shed, made a new shelf and the shed looks twice as big now the tank is outside! Today I shall rearrange tooling so it is nearer the lathe.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I get him to dig one out and I only had a small outbreak of red mite during last year .... constant vigilance!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hang fire a bit Wendy. I emptied a 5liter bleach container this morning and there is less oil in the cistern than I thought. I;ll get back to you. One other thing, ask Col if he has a use for a perfectly good cold water cistern because that's what it is. If there is any oil left in it will be good oil for oil can use and general lubrication. If he can use it he is welcome to it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I have a sinus headache and a sore throat! Perhaps I slept with my mouth open, otherwise I feel fine. It was another good nights sleep

We may go for a walk today, and I have pilates this evening. Thats it really! I shall make a lamb stew and dumplings with left over meat and veg from the New Years Eve meal and having finished the most washing I have ever done in one day I have a bit of ironing, sorting and putting things away. So much bedding and towels! This is a family sized bungalow but I had quite forgotten how much space a family takes up and how much washing it creates. Then there were table cloths, not counting clothes and I did all of Julias washing before they went home as she is back in work today.

Now for a rest! I think my normal busy routine is less tiring than a week of visitors and entertaining .:laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It always takes me two days to clear the washing after having house guests, Sue. Goodness knows where it comes from!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

" I think my normal busy routine is less tiring than a week of visitors and entertaining .:laugh5:"
I'm sure that's true!
Wendy, Most of the oil went into the 5litre container, only a couple of litres left in there. So scrub the big one please. Nudge Colin about the benefits of having some oil can oil and a plastic cistern! (Plus the bonus of a valve and pipe fittings.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've asked him Stanley but we already have a stock of water cisterns!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

OK Wendy, thanks for the offer anyway. If anyone wants a water cistern, they can have this one.....
Today is going to be research into the next project. As I appear to be sure of being around for a while longer and in good health I need a project in the shed. I am favouring another engine and looking at options.
(I'll have to get the Kid's permission to spend some of the Burial Fund.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Today I shall be studying our financial situation. Col reaches 65 at the end of the month and decisions are having to be made about various small pension pots from places he worked at many years ago. Our only income since he gave up work has been my state pension and a small personal pension which he was able to take at 60. Apart from that we have been spending savings I inherited from Mum. We haven't had to think about income tax for years.....thinking caps on!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wish you well Wendy. I remember when Doc had the same situation he paid for advice and help and consolidated all his pensions in one fund. He said it was a good solution for him and worth the fee.
I have canvassed the family about spending some of the burial fund on castings for a new project in the shed. The result was unanimous approval and some lovely comments from the kids. So today I shall be doing more research. I think I have found the engine I like but I am going to look to see if there is a better offer anywhere else.... But first the shopping!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 04:26 I wish you well Wendy. I remember when Doc had the same situation he paid for advice and help and consolidated all his pensions in one fund. He said it was a good solution for him and worth the fee
We did too and never regretted it, especially as at that time we inherited from Bobs Mum and wanted to invest wisely for our future.

Today is craft and lunch out as well as the birthday of three friends and our eldest. I can’t believe she is 44 today
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We took advice on pensions a few years ago and because two out of the three have guaranteed annuity rates we were told they couldn't be bettered and to leave them where they were. Good advice! Colin only worked for Ferranti for 3 years but the annual pension will be nearly £4000 a year and the same with another company that he worked with for 4 years back in the early eighties.
We are off to see an advisor next week, but as you know Colin doesn't trust anyone! :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I transferred my most recent pensions (Scot Wids and Aviva) into my current employer's scheme, also with Aviva. I have been advised, on numerous occasions to leave the Railways and Electricity Supply schemes where they are. All the advisors I've spoken to have given the same advice so I'm guessing they know what they're talking about. :cool4:
There was a transfer fee to pay so with your Colin being close to drawing the pensions it may not be cost effective to put them all in together. Definitely in your best interests to talk with the advisor :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The definition of a Stock Broker given to me by a lecturer in accountancy at Preston University ...' Someone who invests your money until its gone'.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We set up our own private super fund years ago. We control our own destiny. We invest in what we want to ( mostly real estate).
Of course, we pay tax. We live by the rules...but at least there is no other entity with fingers in our pie.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

plaques wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 09:34 The definition of a Stock Broker given to me by a lecturer in accountancy at Preston University ...' Someone who invests your money until its gone'.
That's my definition of IFA's, also leeches.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I agree China...same with fund managers, advisors and accountants...
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 09:06 but as you know Colin doesn't trust anyone!
Good starting position . . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have almost made my mind up about the next shed project and so will be building up the stock pile of BET articles..... Time we got back to some real history.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Well I beg to differ in the present financial climate our financial advisors have managed to make us money and reduce our tax. We are happy paying their fees which are minimal in contrast to the outcome. I suppose it depends who you use. Ours was initially a small company recommended to Bob by his employer Nuclear Electric at the time of his retirement. The Company has been taken over three times and is now a big concern but they have still never failed us.

Today we have a family free day and are planning a walkover the hills towards Todmorden, then down to the Rochdale canal and back to Littleborough where we will catch the bus home.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Enjoy your walk Sue. A good day for it I reckon, a bit less cold, not a lot of wind and as long as you are wrapped up well a clear day with good views. Jack and I had a good walk this morning, this and better would do me for the rest of the winter!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Sue wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 08:23 Well I beg to differ in the present financial climate our financial advisors have managed to make us money and reduce our tax. We are happy paying their fees which are minimal in contrast to the outcome. I suppose it depends who you use. Ours was initially a small company recommended to Bob by his employer Nuclear Electric at the time of his retirement. The Company has been taken over three times and is now a big concern but they have still never failed us.

Today we have a family free day and are planning a walkover the hills towards Todmorden, then down to the Rochdale canal and back to Littleborough where we will catch the bus home.
IFA's use your money to make their commissions, it really doesn't matter what happens to your capital. When you consider that recommending bad investments makes them the most spot commission, they can earn big bucks at no risk to themselves. That is why there are so many cold callers selling things like carbon credits and products to one-off clients that cannot be easily traded. It stinks.
There are good advisors who earn their fees.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

As fraudsters go Bernard Madoff takes some beating. Madoff He ran a giant Ponzi scheme cheating investors of of $18 billion. Now serving his 150 year gaol term. Most investors can make money on a rising market. Sticking a pin in a list of any stocks will show a profit under these conditions. Under adverse conditions even banks have been known to unload there under performing stocks into bond type derivatives that are sold to the unsuspecting punter. If there was a sure fire way of making money why are they involving people they don't know. Why not keep all the 'profit' to themselves?

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”