Today I shall be Mainly...

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 02:22 Is that a wedding Wendy? If so congratulations and don't let Col convince you that the borehole is your anniversary present!
I shall be in the shed if time after shopping, I'm cooling it down now with the door open. It got to 85F yesterday!
Yes it was our wedding day Stanley. We might celebrate properly when (if) we have struggled through 50 years together! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No, celebrate every day!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 06:17 No, celebrate every day!
I agree Stanley

I have decided not to go to craft today, I am not really interested with the days project and with my friend still in Washington i am missing my chats. She returns on tbe 10 th July. Instead I intend to go into Rochdale with Bob to see the floral display that was judged by tbe town in bloom team. Apparently outside the townhall is a fantastic Memorial display to honour those who died in WW1. Then its lunch out with it being Friday. Oh yes , I shall also post Julias top finished yesterday afternoon. One more to do for Eve and my grandma/Mum sewing duties are over for a bit
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Busy as usual! I am about ready to pop in the shed for an hour.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

...enjoying the first of my 5 days off shift. I could get used to this :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Spent the last 2 hours replacing the nsf electric window register on the car. An interesting project made easier by watching a Youtube video first. The cable had corroded and snapped about 6 months ago.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Beyond my pay grade Kev, I don't even know what it is!
I have cleaned up and will be on straight turning today in the shed just for a change...... Brass is OK but the chips get everywhere!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 02:29 Beyond my pay grade Kev, I don't even know what it is!
It's the mechanism that carries the glass in the door, it uses a motor and cables to raise and lower the window...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Drain mended, water butt replaced to find the gunge in the bottom was blocking a hole.Now it leaks so we need a new one. agh.

Going out for the day as we have a free Saturday. Claire and family are on holiday in Tenby.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 09:05 Now it leaks so we need a new one.
Not necessarily - Why not fix it?

:smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Haha, very good Tripps! :smile:

Sue, if it's a plastic butt can you fix it with a strong adesive such as Grab It or Gorilla glue. If it's a crack, just fill it with adhesive, or if it's a hole then weld on a patch of plastic with the adhesive? There are plenty of alternatives on the Web if you google `mend hole in water butt'.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Kev.
David I thought of Dear Henry as well....
Amazing what Gorilla Tape will fix.....
I shall not be doing any heavy lifting in the shed on repairs to Mrs McMaster, I triggered my back yesterday lifting that big slug of steel. My capabilities shrink as the years roll by...... Gorilla tape won't fix that! Old age isn't for cissies.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tizer wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 10:03 Haha, very good Tripps! :smile:

Sue, if it's a plastic butt can you fix it with a strong adesive such as Grab It or Gorilla glue. If it's a crack, just fill it with adhesive, or if it's a hole then weld on a patch of plastic with the adhesive? There are plenty of alternatives on the Web if you google `mend hole in water butt'.
Ah now there is a problem we can’t find where the leak is. Thanks for the tip. Bob has done this before with out butts in France.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Lovely day out in the countryside at Sabden and then to Clitheroe where we had lunch. Today is not yet planned. Bob will be at the park with the model railway. I may deadhead some plants and tidy the front garden whilst it is in the shade. Otherwise its a chill out day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Otherwise its a chill out day. Good luck with that plan Sue, it's hot out there. I notice that the trees on the Green are showing signs of stress, they are shedding leaves and the foliage is wilting.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sue wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 07:12 Bob will be at the park with the model railway
Watch out for buckled rails in the heat - we don't want any railway accidents!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Doing a skip run this morning for garden waste and a small bag of inert. Off to Carleton this afternoon to the Village Hall for a showing of recently emerged photos of the village and inhabitants from days gone by. The village does this every couple of years or so as new material surfaces. Bound to be some of Sally maypole dancing I reckon and maybe an odd one of me when cajoled into the tug of war team for the WMC team at the Village Gala. Regardless it will be a trip down memory lane for many.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Wait until it gets over 40C.
Then we shall compare apples with apples as far as coping with the heat! It's just "pleasantly warm" over there as far as we judge on our heat scale. When I say we sit still inside with the blinds down, or lay quietly on a tiled floor with a good book and a wet face washer draped on our foreheads...I am not joking! I have spent days on the tiled floor, drinking jugs of cold water and eating next to nothing because it is too hot to eat. Sleeping becomes impossible.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 09:12 Wait until it gets over 40C.
Then we shall compare apples with apples as far as coping with the heat! It's just "pleasantly warm" over there as far as we judge on our heat scale. When I say we sit still inside with the blinds down, or lay quietly on a tiled floor with a good book and a wet face washer draped on our foreheads...I am not joking! I have spent days on the tiled floor, drinking jugs of cold water and eating next to nothing because it is too hot to eat. Sleeping becomes impossible.
Same here, but we have air-con, haven't they got that yet in Oz? :sad: :laugh5:

Because the concrete walls heat up to over 35C it feels like you're living inside a heater and a few cool days do nothing to ease the situation. We run the air-con in the occupied rooms, I can't afford to run it 24 hours a day.
One of the best air-con units I saw was an evaporative cooler when we went to New Mexico. The thing was old and huge but cooled well for just the electric required to operate a large fan and a small water pump.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 09:12 Wait until it gets over 40C.
On the other side of the coin wait until you start complaining of the cold. We are usually still walking about in T shirts. :smile: I doubt you will also see much of -10 degrees as we do, apples with apples at the other end of the scale. :biggrin2:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Much cooler on the lower (tiled) floor of our home China, and ceiling fans make it bearable. We have 2 in our lounge and another in our bedroom and guest bedroom.
We do have air conditioning upstairs but it is a large area, we tend to close all blinds and curtains and retreat downstairs. Not fit for man nor beast up there without air-conditioning...until after sunset when we open huge windows for sea breezes.
Doesn't make any sense to run air-conditioning all day if you have an option not to occupy that upstairs space and you have an alternative area downstairs where you can obtain relief with passive fans.
If you can keep sun off West facing windows, create shade and generate a breeze...it is comfortable enough
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We have had a couple of mornings already this winter where we woke to 0C.
I don't feel the cold and I am still sleeping under a sheet on my upper body with the doona only covering from my thighs down. I still get a bit steamed up, and all coverings come off sometime overnight.
Hubby needs full doona, electric blanket and two thick granny rugs!
We really have become used to the winters down here. We don't have central heating of course, but have a gas heater. Think we have had it on three times this winter...for no more than an hour at a stretch. Enough to take the chill off and that lasts all evening. Just not bothered by the cold. It's the heat that sends me into the foetal position!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 10:03 Just not bothered by the cold. It's the heat that sends me into the foetal position!
I moved here to get away from the cold, I hate it! We only have a short winter lasting about 2 months where we get cool weather, not freezing but feels much colder because of the high humidity. Like you, we have fans in every room.
I've been reading up on evaporative coolers and they work best in arid conditions but are practically useless in areas of high humidity like this. The other thing is that they use a lot of water which is usually in short supply in arid conditions.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

chinatyke wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 11:11
Marilyn wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 10:03 Just not bothered by the cold. It's the heat that sends me into the foetal position!
I moved here to get away from the cold, I hate it! We only have a short winter lasting about 2 months where we get cool weather, not freezing but feels much colder because of the high humidity. Like you, we have fans in every room.
I've been reading up on evaporative coolers and they work best in arid conditions but are practically useless in areas of high humidity like this. The other thing is that they use a lot of water which is usually in short supply in arid conditions.
We have evaporative coolers in the bedrooms in France. They work well
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

By the way we have found the leak in the water butt. Bob will repair it tomorrow

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”