Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Thanks for your suggestion Tiz
If you keep searching you will find it
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Tizer wrote: 28 May 2019, 11:39 In Cornwall we have to be careful. Most of the mine shafts have been covered but there are still older holes to fall into.
A friend of mine once fell down a mine shaft in Cornwall. I shouted down to him, "Have you broken anything Bill...?" He shouted back, "No, there's nothing down here to break...!"
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pete, :biggrin2: :good:
Cathy, I had the post vanish after a simultaneous post only the other day. Usually you get the request to review but not always. Of late the site has been a bit quirky, I find it sometimes resets itself and loses the history of the last post. Occasionally, but not often, it opens in a new window. Not frequent enough to bother me but it happens.
I shall be aiming for a shed potter again..... Waiting for a delivery actually..... I've been plotting.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Good to hear Stanley. Yesterday we spent the morning visiting the garden of a lady I met at the OPEN GARDEN on Saturday. She is an extremely pleasant lady. Her garden is very long and at the end she keeps hens, ducks and pigeons. The garden has been laid out with little paths that lead to seating areas, ponds, vegetable gardens and numerous little areas of discrete planting. All perennials of which she gave me numerous cuttings. Now to plant them. 9 years ago the garden was a field.

The lawns here are cut, the veggies all planted out, I just have to weed the strawberry patch and the potatoes. Then tidy and cut the rhubarb. The forecast rain has never arrived, thus Ihave to water every night. The weekend is forecast at 27 degrees
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like an episode of Garden Rescue! Glad it's going well. We will be lucky to have 16C at weekend....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again I aim for a potter in the shed..... Must try harder!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 29 May 2019, 05:45 Sounds like an episode of Garden Rescue! Glad it's going well. We will be lucky to have 16C at weekend....
We are heading for 26 degrees, we watched the NW weather on BBC and it implied low to mid 20s there. We are keeping all the plants well watered or should I say making sure the ground is saturated to give the plants a chance when we leave on Monday. I used a method of upturned plastic bottles with the bottoms cut out. For every set of four plants I plant a bottle with the neck deep. So I water the plants and fill the bottle which takes water lower down.
F43788A4-C5E8-411B-AAAB-019701FCFCFE.jpeg
Once established I do not need to bother. I haven’t done it for leeks or corn as there are two many plants. Leek plants are bought on the market here at 50 or 100 in a bundle!

Today is a public holiday, cloudy and cool. Just time to get the perennials in before the heat arrives tomorrow. This cooler weather is helping the veggies to settle in the ground.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I used to use bottles the same way with my pot plants, if we were going away for a few days in the Summer. It does work.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

collecting my car from the garage, they've not repaired it as the insurance company have deemed it a total loss. It's an old car but the insurance company are giving me £1500 and I bought it back for £100. I can get a used replacement wing, in the same colour, for around £60 which just needs a 10mm spanner to fit it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

How will you get insurance on it from now on?!!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz, when the insurance Co make a write off in effect they are paying you to go away. The car can be insured again after repair. That's what I did with my last car after the bin wagon backed into it.
Missed the shed again! Today is a busy morning shopping and taking delivery of my new router so I doubt if it's worth promising anything for today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's a category N total loss, non structural but not financially viable for the insurance company to repair as the are required to do the work to 'as new' condition.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Big Kev wrote: 30 May 2019, 16:18 collecting my car from the garage, they've not repaired it as the insurance company have deemed it a total loss. It's an old car but the insurance company are giving me £1500 and I bought it back for £100. I can get a used replacement wing, in the same colour, for around £60 which just needs a 10mm spanner to fit it.
Wow, you could make a good living from that car!

Best wishes with the hospital treatment.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's how I made a profit from selling my last car. Zurich took up my suggestion to pay me £500 to go away....
Must go in the shed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Bosom Friends monthly Coffee and Cake morning round at the centre this morning. Then on to Fleetwood to give this new to us motor the once over. A bit of the Flatley Drier and definitely Sods Law coming in here though.

As we were intending to do a trade in with our old Renault. I drove it round from where it was parked on Bessie Street to outside our back yard. I got the vacuum out and gave it the once over and removed all the stuff that your own car accumulates over time. Job done, I jumped back in to drive it back on to Bessie Street off the gable. Shoved the key card in, pressed the starter and it's dead! All the lights come on and I can hear the solenoid clicking in, nothing on the ECU service display. I think the starter motor has packed up. Our Jack came round after work and we tried a jump start just in case but it's still dead in the water. I had managed with a couple of neighbours help to get it parked back up to the gable so it's not blocking the street. Bin men wont be happy on Tuesday though, I'll stick a note on.

The new to us car doesn't rely on the trade in, we will just pay the difference if it's all in order. I'll sort the Renault next week, probably a call to Chris Watsons, not putting good money after bad.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The starter may have just 'stuck'. Put it in 3rd gear and rock it back and forward a couple of times to see if it frees it up. It may not do but it could save you a garage bill...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

My first thoughts as well Kev, I gave it a go but only on my own,maybe didn't get enough rock on. Will give that another whirl with our Jack at some point. Get the new wheels sorted first then take another view.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Renault
Electrical Systems
Always had a reputation
Immobiliser circuit?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a spell in the shed and made some muck. Back isn't as good as I thought it was.... Ah well, give it a bit longer to heal....
Later, as is often the case, cooking has filled the morning. Cabbage and bacon, carrots, broccoli and even more cabbage. All partially cooked and popped into the slow cooker to meld together during the day. As I often say, someone has to do it and Jack is a rubbish cook.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Whyperion wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 20:52 Renault
Electrical Systems
Always had a reputation
Immobiliser circuit?
It's not immobilised, electrics work, steering unlocks, everything lights up and there is nothing new on the ECU service display but the starter doesn't turn. I can hear the solenoid actioning so it's either stuck or faulty. It's not the battery as it won't go on a jump start either.

I have another car now so it's taking up room and has to go, Either under it's own steam or on the back of a wagon. Short trip either way to the vehicle re-cycling, they are obliged to pay me scrap value (by cheque) and I will reclaim it's outstanding vehicle tax. It gets one last chance to start today then disposal is tomorrows task.

Today,s task is to source some car mats to help preserve the perfectly valeted interior of our new to us car. I'll have a look at Aldi I reckon.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Out for lunch today at a nice restaurant in La Gacilly. This afternoon is the festival of flowers.
F929C883-D86D-4230-B1C1-DC3756136B2D.png
Otherwise busy packing and tidying up, ferry tomorrow and home tomorrow night
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sue on 02 Jun 2019, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There were some on Aldi's 'aisle of dreams' last week...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, I thought I saw them myself, worth a look, we need one or two other bits as well.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just a thought Ian. Just because the solenoid is clicking doesn't mean the contacts inside are good. Dead simple way to test it is to bridge the two big contacts with a heavy bar of metal. If the starter is the problem it won't spin, if it does it's the solenoid (which is the most likely culprit).
Not even thinking about the shed. I need to nurse my back....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

At the ferry, waiting to board. It was an early start

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”