Today I shall be Mainly...

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Marilyn »

:biggrin2: you hate rattles too, Stanley? I have to wrap bubble wrap around the glass plate in the microwave, a layer of foam over the cutlery tray, remove the tray from the oven entirely, and pop foam behind the dining table where it straps down against the wall we had to buy felt covered clothes hangers so he can't hear rattles from the wardrobe!
I thought of a new storage solution for our bike helmets. It looks good, but hasn't had a road test yet, but I will take a pic tomorrow. ( Dave is not convinced, and I got the "now, if these are going to rattle as we drive along" speech) (sigh). I'm sure they will be fine!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 05:56 Looks great. Well done. Bet you are pleased with it.
Very much indeed.
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 06:39 Looks great Sue. Are those the tiles that look just like wood? We have them in our ensuite and I still gaze at them in wonder!
They area actually wood, but I know the ones you mean, both my daughters have them. Julia has them in her hallway, Claire has them in the bedroom. Bought independently and they are almost the same. Makes me laugh as their lounges are the same colour too
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Image #2 intrigued me, I was expecting to see someone in the mirror taking a picture of someone in the mirror ad infinitum, if you see what I mean. It wasn't until I did a full expansion that I could see that you had just poked the laptop at the edge of the door to take the pic.
There! I do take notice of what's going on.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Smashing job Sue but I'm a bit concerned with Image #1 showing the electrical socket adjacent to the toilet. I appreciate that the device is powered but shouldn't the power be directly cabled rather than plugged. I know that it would not meet UK electrical regulations.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Power sockets here must be at least 1 metre from any water source. Having said that, I have a double power point directly over my loo. It's the one I plug my hair dryer into. I always shut the toilet lid...just in case.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 06:58 Image #2 intrigued me, I was expecting to see someone in the mirror taking a picture of someone in the mirror ad infinitum, if you see what I mean. It wasn't until I did a full expansion that I could see that you had just poked the laptop at the edge of the door to take the pic.
There! I do take notice of what's going on.
The first picture was like that, including me in nightie...thus I stepped to one side and clicked optimistically
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 08:26 Smashing job Sue but I'm a bit concerned with Image #1 showing the electrical socket adjacent to the toilet. I appreciate that the device is powered but shouldn't the power be directly cabled rather than plugged. I know that it would not meet UK electrical regulations.
Different regulations, we have come across this a lot. Bob always checks with our builder friend. It came with the plug attached too, so a cable is not expected. ( however will check with the man that does...Bob the builder) . Yup just checked, all fitted according to instructions provided with the appliance . You want to see their sockets, you nearly pull them off the wall when you unplug something!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 10:03 Power sockets here must be at least 1 metre from any water source. Having said that, I have a double power point directly over my loo. It's the one I plug my hair dryer into. I always shut the toilet lid...just in case.
You can have a power pont next to the washbasin here, in fact a shaving socket is expected. I think it has to be a certain height though. There is a socket tight next to the wash basin in the bathroom and that was was done by a french electrician . I plug my hair dryer in there , and our electric toothbrush. They aren’t big on ‘elf and safety here, we have noticed. Its a case of do something unsafe , you won’t do it again! :smile:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I think this explains things

Because the rules about domestic power in the UK are some of the safest in the world (partly because we use 240V which has a higher risk of death) and having power outlets in a bathroom, particularly on an earthed system like the UK uses, is very risky, as people will plug things in which shouldn’t be used when wet; the only power outlet allowed near a water source is one for shavers which is low power and transformer isolated from the main so that you cannot get an electric shock between that and earth. Sockets ( on a 30mA residual current breaker protected circuit ) are allowed 3m (10 feet) away from a shower or bath edge, but this is usually outside our comparatively small bathrooms.

Opens up all sorts of thoughts about Europe and regulations though. Still - on Oct 31st we'll be away. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed Sue, our regulations over here are some of the best in the world as we use a fairly high voltage and current supply for domestic properties. Even higher on the industrial side. The same of course for France as you will be on 240v also. I prefer our ring main plug and sockets though to the round pin French style, they remind me too much of the old Wylex stuff of which there were a plethora of different designs, all in brown Bakelite some with central screw fixings for the earth connection. Used to come across them in some of the older houses I visited when I was out on field service calls, took your life in your hands in some establishments and only your experience kept you safe. I have survived cases of live carpets with folk abusing the electrical system! I have also had to pull the main fuses on some installations to stop folk killing themselves or risking house fires.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I took pics of our bike helmet storage solution ( they were taking up valuable space in a cupboard). Our high-vis riding vests fit inside the helmets, so I killed two storage problems. I'm very happy with the solution.
Pics sent to Stanley for posting.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As requested....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I should add, they are not simply hung up. Elastic straps with velcro ends are screwed to the wall in an X configuration. Possibly I should have taken a pic of the straps, as it might explain things better. Just hold the helmet there, stretch the straps around and velcro. Snug on the wall and cannot bang about and annoy hubby...I hope!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thanks for all your comments re-our bathroom electrics. Bob informs that the regulations when our original bathroom was wired pre buying the house are not the same as now and that even these regulations have recently changed. There will need to be some updating of the old system before we sell the house as it will have to have an electric safety certificate but having done his research, there are currently no safety issues. The bathroom has to have a local RCB breaker, although there is one in the main fuse box. The regulations here are very different from the UK. He has always had to be on the ball with legislation because of the nature of his previous employment.

Spent yesterday cleaning the bedrooms and new bathroom ready for our visitors, did some washing and spent sometime time dodging the frequent showers trying to get it dry. I did a little oil painting, on an unfinished picture started at my art teachers studio before he moved to the Lakes. I picked my crop of corn in the evening, which was better than usual but not as good as it could have been as the plants were severely damaged by last weeks storms. I was dozing in the chair by 9.00 pm but I put that down to medication given by the Doctor in the morning, as even the busiest of days rarely causes that. I missed the middle and the end of a repeat of Midsommer Murders. One of the advantages of aging is you can keep watching repeats of programmes but as you can never remember the story and the ending its like a new programme every time :laugh5:
DAABD553-F5A6-4B7B-8FF3-2BDD92094809.jpeg
Suffering from an infection that has lasted sometime, I had to pay a visit to the local GP in the morning. Local being 7 km away. There are new Centro Medicos springing up all over Brittany, like the ones we have with localisation of physios , dentists, nurses etc. This is very different from when we bought the house, where GPs were based in offices in their own home and it was quite difficult to find one. They were spread far and wide. In fact I had a home visit once and the travelled over 9 km to see me. He must have taken pity on me and my norovirus as he never charged us for the visit. Anyway, back to yesterday. We arrived at 9.20 pm, and saw the Dr immediately. You queue at the Dr you want. There was a large queue of about 9 people at one Dr , ( must be popular) none at the area we went to. We knew this Dr by previous visits and reputation. Quick, efficient, no bedside manner, thorough. He confirmed I need antibiotics, checked my BP, which was on the low side of normal,( must tell my own GP, its obviously British politics that raises my BP) filled in all the paperwork and asked for his 25 euro which we paid before leaving. We were greeted with a handshake, and another as we were seen to the door. We were in and out in about 7 minutes, then it was up to the pharmacist for two items, costing 18 euros and back in the car at 9.40 am. We did queue at the pharmacy for a few minutes, but at home it can be 30-40 minutes. When we get home I shall put in a claim for the money. We used to get it all back but now we only get back what the French health insurance system pays out. All in all very efficient.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All very interesting....
I hope the ABs zap the infection Sue. Can't have our resident Action Woman out of action!
I have ignored the shed this morning, small tasks and making some onion and tomato relish.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I was given a huge bag of Lemons today on our walk. Very grateful.... :biggrin2: ...looking for recipes suitable for Diabetics to use them up. Must use them by next week, as we cannot take fresh fruit or veg over the border interstate ( unless cooked or frozen).
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sue wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 06:26 When we get home I shall put in a claim for the money. We used to get it all back but now we only get back what the French health insurance system pays out. All in all very efficient.
I hope it works a bit better than dealing with Greece, nearly 3 year since Sally put in her claim for the steroid injections and AB's she had to have when she was bitten by some flying beastie when we were last on a Greek island. That lot came to around 130 Euro from memory.

I hope you fell better soon as well Sue.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just booked a couple of nights camping for next week. We will be popping up to join our Carla and family who are camping at a site near Robin Hoods Bay. I have got a pich on the same site but away from the family field which can be a bit noisy apparently, we don't need electrical hookup as we have nothing to plug in. :extrawink: Our LED Lantern and double burner gas stove will do just fine. Might go posh and take some folding chairs. :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hope you have an inflatable air mattress and are not sleeping on the ground. I mean...we are all strong people...but no need to walk like John Wayne in the mornings unless absolutely necessary :laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We haven't been away in our van for 9 months, because I had been in too much pain to imagine trying to climb in or out, or sleep in the narrow bed...but I was fine last weekend.
I still don't know how I will go travelling thousands of kilometres soon, but I have made hubby promise we will not drive for more than 4 hours a day. I am not on any painkillers ( haven't been since early May when I had the op) but I do get a bit stiff. I don't know how the cumulative days of driving will affect me. I can only rely on Paracetamol if I have a problem. But I think I will be ok. So long as we can walk each day, should take the kinks out of the stiffness...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 10:31 Hope you have an inflatable air mattress and are not sleeping on the ground.
This is very much a get back on the horse exercise for us. Last time Sally and I camped au natural so to speak was in France when we toured around on the motorbike. All the kit and caboodle had to fit on the bike. It was a lot simpler when we were rallying! Panniers were filled with our clothes. camping kit, tent, stove etc went in and on the topbox and our sleeping bags on top of the panniers. We just used self inflating sleeping mats then but we were a tad younger, (about 10 years ago). :extrawink:

Double inflatable to hand and the electric means to blow it up and let it down from the car. We let a lot of our camping kit go when we started holidaying in Greece and other foreign parts using aeroplanes so are putting back together the essentials to see how we go.

Still have the the three person tent that we toured with. It has a front porch and plenty of storage space for incidental stuff.

My daughters tent is one of the self exploding village sized jobs with about 4 or 5 separate rooms, but they have a stretched Merc van to cart it all around. Not sure if my son in law Ant doesn't take the gas barbie as well. We will visit to share food on this trip but are fully capable of self sufficiency and wont starve, handy having kids on the same site.

Just checking what kit we still have and I think we will need a small water carrier, I like to have a brew in the morning without having to trot off to fill the kettle. :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Sounds like you will be very comfortable.
We have a solar panel on the roof, so can go "off grid" for a couple of nights or however long we choose if the sun is shining. We can last as long as our water supply. I bought a wind up radio - handy to have if there is some sort of extreme event and one needs to listen out for news, we also have our own internet and 12Volt recharger. Fridge/freezer and TV can work off 12Volt and battery storage.
On the mornings that we are on the move again, we both have our own jobs and follow a checklist. :biggrin2: it's like being in the army.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not sure yet what to do today, I shall take a view later on. Nothing as adventurous as camping!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 08:58
Sue wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 06:26 When we get home I shall put in a claim for the money. We used to get it all back but now we only get back what the French health insurance system pays out. All in all very efficient.
I hope it works a bit better than dealing with Greece, nearly 3 year since Sally put in her claim for the steroid injections and AB's she had to have when she was bitten by some flying beastie when we were last on a Greek island. That lot came to around 130 Euro from memory.

I hope you fell better soon as well Sue.
It has worked efficiently in the past, although it takes time. The worst bit as the endless wait on the phone at Newcastle to get a claim form, I wonder if you can get one online now.

Our friends arrive late afternoon. They land in Nantes at 12.30 but left home about 6.00, ie about now their time. I suggested they eat something at the airport before driving the 90 minutes to here as Wendy is diabetic. She is inclined to be a bit haphazard with her eating and this makes her feel ill, then she says she feels sick and doesn’t want to eat. I am always explaining she needs to eat regularly and the nausea os lack of food. Thus I suggested they ate asap after landing.

Its the ‘ Fete of the Assomption ‘ today thus a holiday, in fact most people will take holiday including tomorrow. Its the last big holiday of the summer and there is a lot going on this weekend. There is a very big car boot sale, a huge affair all day today. We shall go this morning. Sunday is the last big rural fete, another we visit often and as the weather promises to be good, shall take our friends. In fact apart from wet Saturday its looking like a sunnyish, dryish week at a comfortable 22-23 degrees.

Must get up, breakfast and out.

Antibiotics having an effect, feeling better already, as you say StanleyAction Woman can’t be out of action, things to do, life to live.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”