Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Morning

What a beautiful day it was yesterday, it reached 19 degrees in our back garden. Today will be more cloudy, and this is already apparent. I am glad I watched the funeral, but each to their own. I still have quite clear memories of Winston Churchills funeral and that of JF Kennedy, even though I was in my young teens. Its part of the rich history of my life. I always prefer to see or hear the real thing rather than the distorted journalistic view point. As I said each to their own. I watched it out of respect and not for some morbid reason.

The rest of the afternoon I had a very pleasant time pottering in our garden . Everything is growing so well now, although the colours is still predominantly green from new vegetation the tulips and primulas make a beautiful splash of colour. I have a display of unusual fritillaries which I planted last autumn. Its a shame I can never remember their names :laugh5: I potted up some herb plants that are spreading furiously and will give these to a couple of friends over the next week or so .

In the morning we did go over to the cemetery in Burnley. Some years ago we planted a selection of daffodil bulbs and yesterday the display was magnificent, the best ever. I think the bulbs have started to spread at last. The grave is in the old part of the cemetery and under a very large old oak tree so the bulbs are protected from the extremes of weather, unlike here where tall daffodils barely last a day. Mum and Dad would love the spot, if they could see it. Perhaps they can

Today we are planning on driving to Kirklees to see my brother. Apart from Burnley yesterday and Claires at Preston this will be the furthest we have driven since last October . He had a requested a copy of family photos that had been on his old computer that had crashed beyond repair. We were going to post it but decided to hand deliver instead. It will be a doorstep visit and we have not told him. If he is out we will put the DVD through his letter box. We shall enjoy the outing and probably take the more wild, scenic, route than the M62 . Other than that we have nothing much planned for the day. We usually have a large cooked breakfast on a Sunday and don’t eat again till 7.00pm. We have done this for years , stemming from long days at swimming galas with Julia . We find that it has still worked well over the years giving us a whole day if we decide to go out anywhere without having to think about having a meal. After breakfast Bob gives the kitchen a good clean whilst I do the ironing. We shall go to Kirklees after that.

We are heading for a busy week. Appointments postponed over the last year are being made. We both have optician appointments on Monday. I have a pre diabetic blood test on Wednesday, our new front door is being fitted Tuesday/ Wednesday and I shall invite Wendy and Keith to sit in the garden one afternoon.

Have a good day everyone
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite obvious that you and Bob function like a well oiled machine!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 07:09 Quite obvious that you and Bob function like a well oiled machine!
We try, it doesn’t always work, but after nearly 50 years, practice makes perfect :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had to edit that post Sue, my first version had you both well-oiled... :biggrin2:
Must go in the shed today, no excuse, I am being idle.
It's going to be a lovely day so two walks definitely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a beautiful day. We shall definitely walk today, i have had little inclination to do much the last couple of days, spending quite some time sitting or pottering. I couldn’t even be bothered to to do the next chapter and assessment of my embroidery course. I did however finish the shorts I started last week, and washed two more pieces of material to make some more cropped trousers. We also spent a pleasant hour sat outside chatting to my brother in the morning

This morning we both have an optician appointment, consecutive appointments. However neither of us wants to sit in the shop for 45 minutes to wait for the other and neither of us wants to spend that time wandering round Rochdale town centre so we have decided to go separately. One of the lenses of my glasses has a deep scratch in it so I will need new lenses but have decided I like the frames and they are still fashionable as are Bobs so we will not be changing them . That will save us a few hundred pounds. At one time our appointments were alternate years to balance the cost but because of being caught in France last year they are now at the same time. The timing of the appointments means I shall miss both pilates and yoga

It will be lunchtime when we get back , so after lunch we will go for a walk. The kids will be back at school so we can venture further a field. We are planning on driving to Lobden and then walking down to Watergrove reservoir and back. The moor should be nice and dry after no rain for a week .

Thats my day, have a good one, enjoy the weather
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I think Paulette is due an eye test this year and could potentially need new glasses, it's an expensive hobby this eyesight thing.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a nice day Sue. The weather certainly looks good. I said I'd have an early walk but in the end concentrated on the shed.

No more holes to drill in the stand but still more work needed on it. A good hour and a half.....
You're right Kev. I deferred my test for six months, to let things settle down a bit and vaccinations to take effect.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I have been on “ Lizard Watch” all afternoon. I was making a sandwich at lunch time when I looked out our full length kitchen window and spotted the biggest lizard, sunning itself on our rock wall. I watched as it backed itself into our rock wall. I am now waiting for a photo opportunity.
It is good luck to have a resident lizard. We knew we had one as it leaves tracks, but never knew where it lived for the last 7 years plus. It is a BIG specimen and obviously very happy here and thriving.
It is very very welcome. I just want one pic!
I mentioned once before that my son had a lizard in his garden. He relocated it to a nearby creek when he needed to modify his stone wall. Three days later, the lizard made its way back and is very welcome and lived happily with his dog for years. ( Dog gone now and Lizard remains). son says lizard came back under the garden gate and just looked up at him as it waddled past as if to say “ I’ve had a three day walk. What were you thinking man? This is my home”
They are amazing creatures...
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

One of these...I reckon it was 16- 18 inches long.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I love my resident Blue Tongue as well. It was here when I moved in (12/13 yrs ago?). He moves around from garden to garden here, but always comes back because I have kept his hibernation space and always have fresh drinking water for him. As soon as I think ‘I haven’t seen for a week or so’, he always appears. 😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Aren’t they truly delightful, Cazza? They are so placid and beautiful. I was in awe when I saw it sunning itself on a rock. Very special indeed. It made today quite different and wonderful.

:geek: But I still want a photo. I shall be on “Lizard watch” until I get one!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 07:04 I think Paulette is due an eye test this year and could potentially need new glasses, it's an expensive hobby this eyesight thing.
Yes. Luckily Bob hasn’t changed, mine is only slight and the scratch is covered by insurance that apparently I took out when I bought this pair. So a cheap do this time
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I feel very energetic today, i think my tiredness was post vaccination fatigue. The swelling and tenderness in my arm has gone too. Three days it lasted but nothing of any great note. I can’t say I felt ill
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny isn't it, you have the jab and think you have had no reaction and then realise that the funny pain you have might be down to the jab.
I shall be in the shed doing the final bits to the engine and wondering what to do next. I might do a Bob and make another little Stuart engine.... Certainly nothing big.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Another glorious sunny morning. Its a great day for having the front door replaced. Its not the outer porch door but the inner one. It has a large window next to it, the only one in the house not double glazed so that is being replaced too. This will leave the house more secure when we leave the porch unlocked for deliveries . They are coming after lunch so this morning we will have to move a few things like plant stands and the coat stand but it won’t take long.

We had a lovely long walk yesterday, one we have planned for ages by studying my ‘Footpath’ app . It joined two of our routes together giving a nice circuit. We had to walk to the post office in Whitworth to post Eve’s birthday present, then we walked up to Lobden moor and down over the hill to Watergrove reservoir. We had worked out the path back to Syke but unfortunately I forgot my phone with the route planned out. I did manage to remember it however and it was a very pleasant walk indeed being just about 6.5 miles and only one uphill stretch which was nice. At one point it passes through a low meadow by a stream, a very pleasant tranquil place that I love . Its a spot where groups often have picnics. There was one group there yesterday, a couple of families, who were surrounded by rubbish. I hope it was theirs and they took it away with them !
D771D114-22C1-4B51-9BEF-FB03353D86EC.png
On the way through Whitworth we ordered a couple of fence panels for the area behind the greenhouse. We have a wild climbing rose there, and have always secured it on our neighbours trees. Unfortunately, and sadly he is removing the trees so we shall put up a couple of panels, fastened to the existing low fence, for the rose. The trees do not shade the greenhouse particularly and is haven for the birds . The blackbirds sit at the top and sing. I live in hope that he will not get round to it. He is a busy man, a roofer, who seems to have reroofed most of our estate at one time or another. Gardening is always a bit of an afterthought, beyond mowing the lawn.

I have no plans for the day, its too nice to be inside so may potter in the garden. I had to water everything with the garden hose last night, it was so dry. Whilst doing that I noticed a few of the roses and hydrangeas have frost damaged leaves so I may do a little pruning of those. I have pilates and yoga 5.15 till 7.30 pm

Have a good day everyone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"it was a very pleasant walk indeed being just about 6.5 miles"
Half a day's march almost for a Roman Legion!
Not quite as bright as yesterday here in Barlick but it's shaping up to be a good day.

The enormous size of this knurled knob was a relief after the small plugs I had to make for the steam passages in the stand.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 07:21 "it was a very pleasant walk indeed being just about 6.5 miles"
Half a day's march almost for a Roman Legion!
A bit slower I think, little more than strolling pace
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Our virtual walk to Paris is progressing well.
92AD3C2F-074D-4477-8ABB-5543F4167032.png
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be working on the wobbler. Then after second sleep I hand over Bowker Drain material to be used to stop interference with water rights. Usual exercise and looking after myself.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Our new door was successfully fitted yesterday afternoon though the side panel under the window was the wrong size and has had to be re ordered. This morning I have a blood test. Afterwards we are off to B&Q in Bury for some DIY fence stuff for the climbing rose behind the greenhouse. The panels we ordered on our walk on Monday were delivered yesterday but we find we need another post, hence B&Q . I also need another tomato plant. Two out of the three affected by the hard frost the other week have started to recover, the third has died.
This will be quite an outing for us as neither of us have been in a shop bigger than a local corner shop for over 14 months.

So yesterday, as we had to empty the porch, we took the opportunity to take the blinds down in there. I then washed them and hung them on the line to dry. They looked lovely and clean and fresh when they went back up , but what a swine to reassemble. I forget what they are called, the individual strips suspended at the top and bottom. I also shortened some T shirts, that have been too long since I bought them. They were a rush buy last summer when I realised i had left most of my t shirts in France.

This afternoon Wendy and Keith, our local friends are popping over for an hour in the garden. We hope its not too cold, there is a stiff breeze today . We knew it was the forecast but it was the only mutually suitable day .

Have a good day everyone
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 06:19 Morning

Our new door was successfully fitted yesterday afternoon though the side panel under the window was the wrong size and has had to be re ordered. This morning I have a blood test. Afterwards we are off to B&Q in Bury for some DIY fence stuff for the climbing rose behind the greenhouse. The panels we ordered on our walk on Monday were delivered yesterday but we find we need another post, hence B&Q . I also need another tomato plant. Two out of the three affected by the hard frost the other week have started to recover, the third has died.
This will be quite an outing for us as neither of us have been in a shop bigger than a local corner shop for over 14 months.
I've been using the 'click and collect' for B&Q. Straight in, pick up what I've ordered and back out again :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All going to plan here.

I decided I needed a base for the engine and had a CI cylinder lid that was surplus to requirements so that was pressed into service. Nice to have a good sized lump and make some muck.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 06:29
I've been using the 'click and collect' for B&Q. Straight in, pick up what I've ordered and back out again :good:
It will still involve a drive to Bury and as it will be before 10.00 we thought we would go and browse especially as I want a plant. Don’t trust that on click and collect . We have been doing online ordering or order for delivery for everything otherwise
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 07:49
Big Kev wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 06:29
It will still involve a drive to Bury and as it will be before 10.00 we thought we would go and browse especially as I want a plant. Don’t trust that on click and collect . We have been doing online ordering or order for delivery for everything otherwise
Ah righto. Shouldn't be too bad on a weekday, it looks like chaos on a weekend. Probably best not having a 'spotty oick' choosing a plant either :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We never “click and collect” or order anything online to be home delivered. I need to view stuff, touch stuff, squeeze stuff, smell stuff before I judge it worthy to buy :laugh5:
We like the BEST fruit and veg etc

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”