Today I shall be Mainly...

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by PanBiker »

Was that the current mast David or the previous one on the site?
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tripps wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 11:36
I mention this because Wymondham is pronounced Wyndham, and Tacolneston is pronounced Tacolston. They're hopeless at spelling in Norfolk. :smile:
And that is why I couldn’t spell it :laugh5:

Thanks for the garden compliments, nearly all perennials, a remnant of when I worked. I just wait for it all to explode ans cur back at the end of the summer. This year there are also veggies strategically planted . We have just ordered a new pond liner to try and rectify the leaking pond. Its at its lowest level ever, just the time to empty it. We have bought a cheap kids paddling pool to put all the plants and pond creatures in during the renovations
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tripps wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 11:36 [
I wouldn't have guessed that. Another memory triggered. I stayed there during my very first radio measuring job on intermodulation products coming off the at the broadcast mast at Tacolneston.

Now you have lost me :surprised: :laugh5:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 17:44 Now you have lost me
And me too after all this time. :smile:

It was the old mast Ian - 1987 is best estimate. The frequency bands were different then, and products from VHF broadcasts could fall in the Aerobands. Not sure if we acted after a complaint, or it was just for research. I was brand new, and a bit overawed by it all. Don't ask for any more detail it's mostly gone - the buzz word was 'rusty bolt'. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"the buzz word was 'rusty bolt'"
I like that :biggrin2: . They usually get the blame whatever the problem.
I shall be working on the valve in the shed and than doing as little as possible. It looks as though we are in for an oppressive day.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A day of pottering yesterday. I planted out the few remaining veggie from the greenhouse that had grown substantially under the diligent care of our neighbour. I dead-headed a few things, sorted out the side shoots on my tomatoes and did a bit of weeding. In the evening I watered with the hosepipe again , the pots were all looking very dehydrated. I did a marathon ironing session after completing our holiday washing, and in the evening had a well earned rest over a bottle of wine and a zoom wine appreciation meeting.

Today will be less energetic. I intend tidying the front garden but there is not much needs doing, Bob will be at the railway track in the park most of the day. However we have one little problem to resolve first which is that the back door lock has fallen apart but with the door in the locked position. I leave that to Bob but he is still thinking about the problem.

Have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue! Bob will solve the door.... :biggrin2:
When I said I'd be solving my valve problem I forgot I had six cutters to back off and sharpen. One was beyond help but I now have five sharp cutters for general work.

Now breakfast and second sleep. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I had a pleasant walk this afternoon along Hawshaw Road then back up Warley Wise Lane. This photo was taken for the colours of the wild flowers but I've just realised that the view shows the ridge of Warley Wise gritstone running up towards the Black Lane Ends pub and beyond.
200519661_3367997876569986_5349776806464103439_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well done spotting that and making the connection Wendy.
I had a much better night's sleep last night, eight hours straight. I shall be chasing my valve gear and enjoying a less oppressive day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"The best laid schemes of mice and men gang aft aglay!'
I realised I had to cook veggies as I didn't do it yesterday. Nobody is forcing me into the shed. I might go in and sweep Mrs Harrison off. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

The door lock could not be mended, bits of the lock had fallen out and being a security lock (of only a few weeks old) Bob did not want to interfere much. We tried contacting suppliers, emergency repairers etc but as the house was secure no one would come out. We have some one coming this morning between 9 and 10 . This somewhat messed up my day as every trip between garden and house and kitchen meant a long walk round from the front door, thus I did not garden, in fact I did not go out much and it became apparent when I did venture out to the herb patch for mint for boiling potatoes at tea time that it was cooler and more pleasant in the house.

In the morning I did a little art session with Briony on zoom and later a whats app call to Eve. Whilst Bob was out I continued my research into the houe in Norfolk and managed to get back to the 1700s, a rural farm , which I would assume would be the same going back further. The same names kept cropping up so I should imagine the ownership remained more or less constant through the family. The research kept me enthralled so now I shall write it all up and send to the present owner, possibly todays task after a trip to the dentist to get the low down on my broken tooth.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope broken door lock and tooth both get sorted! I haven't been into the shed.
Industrial scale cooking for the week took precedence and I have not been in the shed.
I've just had a gentleman's breakfast of rib steak and onions..... and off to bed for second sleep.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I must make sure I get in the shed this morning!
Otherwise a normal day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

We have had an adventurous couple of days...not! The kettle started leaking , (catastrophe), so we have had to buy a new one plus the broken door lock and to crown it all ( excuse my pun) my tooth broke again before I even went to the dentist yesterday morning, AND Bob has had some sort of warning lights coming up on the car so that has now got to go in for a service which apparently will be an expensive one .

A locksmith arrived at 9.00 yesterday to sort the door out. It took 45 minutes to drill out the lock. The handle plate is now damaged too which we will have to replace but the handle had already gone a bit dodgy .The security company have been in touch and are sending a new lock by DPD which should arrive today, as should the kettle ( from Amazon) . We are claiming the £75 call out fee back from them too.

As I said my tooth broke again yesterday, luckily on the day I was due to see my own very nice dentist about it. He thinks he can save it and crown it , so I have a temporary filling but there are still restrictions on treatments that require drilling until 1 st October. So I am on a waiting list of at least 6 months!

On a good note I am glad they have waited to ease restrictions until this Delta virus is under control, and once France is on the green list we can get there with £200 worth of tests and evidence of vaccination even though the UK is on their amber list. We live in hope to get there soon to tackle any maintenance before the winter sets in .

We are going for a walk straight after breakfast, only 50 miles left of our virtual walk to Paris. We estimated it would take 6 months so looks like we are on target.

Have a good day all
Last edited by Sue on 15 Jun 2021, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

These things all seem to happen at once, hopefully your filling holds out a bit longer this time.
My car is telling me it wants a service in 18 days time. It's just an oil and filter change with quick look over with an oily rag, it had a 'major' service last time.
I will be preparing some 100mm wide strips of 6mm MDF (sanding/primer/undercoat) ready to make the 'panelling' in the dining room.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That all sounds expensive Sue!I'll echo what Kev says, I hope the filling can last longer.
Being a dinosaur I hate the idea of an engine telling me what to do....

Only one pic this morning but it's all I wanted. We have an engine with a functioning valve. It took me three valve rods and two hours. This isn't down to any fault of mine, the drawings are wrong and I suspect that the valve and/or the positioning of the ports in the cylinder casting is not quite as it should be.
But what the hell do I know about it..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We all sound busy ! I have a mystery. Every day I fill up my bird feeders, especially the one with 4 fat balls in. Recently every morning the container is on the ground having been removed from a large hook. The fat balls are nowhere to be found. We suspect the jackdaws. I think the first time it was accidental but we think they have learned how to do it. This is a job for the wildlife camera!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 08:09 We all sound busy ! I have a mystery. Every day I fill up my bird feeders, especially the one with 4 fat balls in. Recently every morning the container is on the ground having been removed from a large hook. The fat balls are nowhere to be found. We suspect the jackdaws. I think the first time it was accidental but we think they have learned how to do it. This is a job for the wildlife camera!
Looking forward to see the outcome of this one :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

So am I Kev
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No doubt about it that Jackdaws are intelligent birds!
I shall be in the shed with the 10H.... Then who knows, perhaps dodging thunderstorms.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

They knew we were filming them, the fat balls are still in situ this morning. Mind you the other day the action happened whilst I was in the shower.

It was a lovely day yesterday . We walked in the morning, had lunch in the garden, then whilst Bob was out I wrote a letter to our holiday host in Norfolk with all my research findings, some 9 pages of A4. That took some writing. I hand wrote it and sat in the garden to do so. In the evening I had a double pilates and yoga session, took a shower then we sat in the garden with a glass of wine. Oh the life!

This morning our friend Kath is popping round for a cuppa and a natter ( we have our new kettle) at last ! Then today is the day for tackling the pond leak. We have bought a cheap small paddling pool to transfer the water lilies and pond life. Once the pond is empty we ie Bob will put the new liner with underlay on top of the old liner rather than try and remove the old one. We ie Bob will secure it to the top of the old wall with new flat stones to create a nice looking edge. The only place the paddling pool can go during this exercise is where my many pots are now so I will have to move these to another location. Not easy as my garden is packed. I think this will be more than just todays task!
55D7D1B7-D0FD-4C2D-A61B-9B94D2A0FD71.jpeg
The pond is at the back somewhere :laugh5:
Have a good day all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hand writing 9 pages of A4.... Respect Sue! Good luck with the pond liner. I think leaving the old one in is a good move.

Kahara's engine is very close to being finished, I have found the wood for the bed. Now I need to fit it and do a few finishing touches. I'm glad because this wasn't an easy engine to build for several reasons. I shall have to think carefully before I start the next one.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 07:23 Hand writing 9 pages of A4.... Respect Sue! Good luck with the pond liner. I think leaving the old one in is a good move.
Years of handwriting lesson notes Stanley, prior to the time when we had to type them . I still prefer to handwrite for speed
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

And the work begins
6E2586FA-70A9-491A-B528-B9BEADF216F3.jpeg
D70C113F-0D99-4802-B4D7-30E5BB93FF5A.jpeg
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That new liner is a bigger job than I thought!
In contract my job this morning is small and easily handled. Putting the engine on a bed and a few finishing touches. I don't think the thunder warning applies to us so it looks like a good day for exercise as well. Early doors shop at 07:00..... and Melvyn Bragg to follow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”