Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

chinatyke wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 10:29
Stanley wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 07:08
We have sun this morning Sue but It's cold enough to trigger the central heating.
:surprised: Yikes, it's mid-summer isn't it?
We have had our summer heat wave. The last three weeks have been lovely and warm but this week the weather pattern has changed . Apparently its been a very wet June down south. We have had no rain for weeks and I am regularly watering the garden with a hosepipe It has been lovely here even for Rochdale but we have got into a cycle of clear evenings and cloudy days. Thus it tends to be cold at night and early morning. Sunny first thing and clouding over during the day.
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Ok this morning I was watching from the bedroom window. I saw a flock of juvenile starlings on the bird feeder. Where the sun caught them they looked grey. I noted the time . On the wildlife camera they all look grey and the same as my first photo. Mystery solved , starlings in an unusual light photographed by a wild life camera. Not sure why it looked so big though, just the angle I think
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Starlings usually come mob handed and behave like delinquents, they do more fighting between themselves rather than just getting on with the job. On our feeders the smaller birds like the sparrows and the ground feeders like Blackbirds and Thrushes get a free meal with no effort clearing up the ground below the feeders. I have seen a mob of Starlings decimate three or four fat balls in about 5 minutes without any problem. Always suspect in my book for vandalism. :extrawink:
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 14:06 Starlings usually come mob handed and behave like delinquents, they do more fighting between themselves rather than just getting on with the job. On our feeders the smaller birds like the sparrows and the ground feeders like Blackbirds and Thrushes get a free meal with no effort clearing up the ground below the feeders. I have seen a mob of Starlings decimate three or four fat balls in about 5 minutes without any problem. Always suspect in my book for vandalism. :extrawink:
Same here . This morning the young starlings saw off the adults. Tbe great tits moved out of the way and watched!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad you have a solution Sue but still hanker after a Rochdale Mocking bird.
The castings have arrived for the next engine. I have one more job to do in the shed pottering though so I shan't be starting engine building this morning.
As for the weather, an accurate summary Sue and it gets no better today despite it being midsummer.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Yes Stanley another clear sky overnight and beautiful clear blue one this morning. The air is very still and in this lovely atmosphere the garden looks rather good. However it is due to cloud over again later today once more. We had a lovely walk yesterday morning, putting in two or three variations on one of our regular routes over Syke moor and up to Lobden golf course in Whitworth. Nearly 4.5 miles in total, it was pleasant walking conditions, dry underfoot and not too hot .

I managed a bit of sewing in the afternoon but eventually scrapped what I was making. I did not like the look or the feel of the fabric in the style I had chosen and the fabric kept stretching as I pressed the seams. Instead I did some research on the Rochdale Covid testing centre for travel abroad . It has taken me ages to find a centre in Rochdale. Our nearest was Burnley but this one has just opened in the grounds of a local ( and not very successful) garden centre. It looks like testing for travel is here to stay so it is best to be prepared. It is no good being in denial about the cost which hopefully will change soon. Obviously the actual requirements will also change over time but at least we know know where to go and what to expect. I phoned first but by the time I selected the correct person to speak to, ie press 5 the automated answer said to email through the webpage . I did email and said I wanted to speak to someone directly as I had so many questions . I received a very quick reply with a personal mobile number to phone, but in fact a series of short questions backwards and forwards through this email resolved things as they stand at the moment. I was very impressed. If France remains in the amber list testing will cost about £200 each in total, not counting the french testing to return. If it goes in the green list this will drop by about £85 per person. Its expensive but we really have no choice but to pay it. Anyway its possible we will get to France in August . We shall ask our English friends to find a local testing centre in France for our return, otherwise no test its a £500 fine.

Today is hairdressers this morning, and a quick turn around at lunch time before a sewing session with Maxine this afternoon. I am really looking forward to it. Pilates this evening and thats my day. Have a good one everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. I can't help thinking that these private testing firms are overcharging. It could well be that by the time you need their services the price may have fallen, lots of people are complaining about this and the airlines may have some input as this is no good for them.

I've had an hour in the shed, most of it spent bent down and peering into dark corners so my knees took more stick then usual so as soon as I had swapped my grinders I knocked off! Ready for engine building now....

PS. We've lost the sun already. Good temperature for walking....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm very happy with this weather, but would appreciate a bit more breeze in the evenings so the ponies don't get attacked by midges. It was warm enough yesterday morning to sit out in the sun with a coffee at Foulridge wharf after a stroll along the tow path. Col managed a mile and a half with no problems. I did some weeding in the afternoon before taking Bruce down to the vets in Colne, he is an old boy now and needing some pain killers to help with arthritis in his back legs. I have been putting it off until Col was up to helping me get Bruce in and out of the car, at 26kg he is too hefty for me to lift! Hopefully the drugs will help to get him a bit more mobile again.
I was outside till 9.45pm last night, watering plants and feeding and watering the ponies, it was lovely.... but midgy!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I know what you mean by 'midgy', a walk along Skipton Old Road just after 7pm yesterday was a bit 'midgy'...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad to hear Colin is more mobile Wendy. Thinking about what he has gone through it's a miracle.
We haven't got midges but Kev evidently has. More open water in Foulridge?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 06:18 If France remains in the amber list testing will cost about £200 each in total
My next door neighbour has just shot off to Italy to avoid an isolation period. Said got the testing done at the Burnley football club £60 private firm. Won't accept NHS tests. So why did we pay £30+Billion for a test and trace that should have been able to handle this sort of thing at the drop of a hat?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A very good question Ken.....
I shall be in the shed for an hour, then early doors shopping at the Co-op and then a visit by Susan and Mick which will include a foot inspection and perhaps a pedicure. Could be sunny at noon so a slightly warmer sit on the bench opposite the bookies!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shopping done. Nothing exciting in the shed, all I did was finish reinstating the big grinder and checking my HSS tool and whether it was on centre. Now for breakfast and a visit by Susan and Mick. As a bonus I shall have Melvyn Bragg with 'In our time' after 09:00.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 06:32 Morning Sue. I can't help thinking that these private testing firms are overcharging. It could well be that by the time you need their services the price may have fallen, lots of people are complaining about this and the airlines may have some input as this is no good for them.

Morning
This is what we are hoping Stanley. If Brittany Ferries puts their business head on they could do the tests in situ for the lateral flow tests. However there is a lot involved in the PCR test and these have to be sent away to a lab. It has to be their own labs or pay to use others, so there may be set up charges. They are not allowed to use any of the NHS facilities. The company here promises a result within 24 hours which is fast .There is transport of the specimen, cost of testing equipment and chemicals plus safe waste disposal, pay for the technicians , drivers and admin plus of course the running of the building they are using . In our case it is reuse of an old building at a garden centre. Then there are admin costs It does mount up .

Good day yesterday. Hair done though it will take some getting used to as I have decided to return to my natural colour ie grey, which is done in stages for the health of the hair, having been coloured for more years than I care to think about. I am very blond today ! I had a lovely afternoon with Maxine. A lot of sewing issues covered and a huge amount of chatting. It was good to feel normal. Bob made some progress cutting the stones to size for the top of the pond, and made a trip to B&Q for some weights to hold down our new garden parasol. Being Wednesday he could get them on senior citizens 10% off. Later I made a summer top for Briony. Its just a simple one. The top to a top and shorts set I made her last year is too small now, so its a straight replacement .

Today is pilates this morning and then lunch with Wendy and Keith at the Shepherds Rest in Tod(morden) . We usually go back to one or the others house for a cup of tea afterwards, so that will be our day. No time for walking today. Have a good one everyone .
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 08:01
Sue wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 06:18 If France remains in the amber list testing will cost about £200 each in total
My next door neighbour has just shot off to Italy to avoid an isolation period. Said got the testing done at the Burnley football club £60 private firm. Won't accept NHS tests. So why did we pay £30+Billion for a test and trace that should have been able to handle this sort of thing at the drop of a hat?
You need a test to go, and two mire when you come back , day 2 and day 8 if it is an amber country, only day 2 if it is a green country. So e countries wantPCR tests others lateral flow, the latter are £35, ie France. Otherwise three tests are £169 ( less than £60) each . Then in France we have to have another test to come home, before we even board. So one tes £60 yes, all tests much more.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm all in favour of reverting to natural Sue. Usually ends up looking very distinguished and in my eyes, attractive. :geek:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Fortunately I can stick to the UK for a bit longer. We are both double vaccinated and will be using NHS lateral flow tests, for our own peace of mind, before our short break in a couple of weeks (providing it's not cancelled).
We still have a deposit with P&O Cruises and have until the end of December 2021 to book something, currently we can book something up to the end of March 2022. We'll see what's available and what the requirements are at the end of the year.
I consider myself lucky now not to have to choose a hairstyle :biggrin2:
I do remember hair...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

On the Covid testing, we are lucky in that interaction with the Silsden grandchildren and our Carla and Ant is about a safe as you can get at the moment. Both Carla and Ant have had both vaccines as have we. Carla being a teacher has regular tests and so do Isla and Fin. We have a stock of lateral flow tests and use them as required. I will do one tomorrow before I go to see the nurse. :smile:
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We do the lateral flow tests weekly . In my last box I had 3 failed tests when the liquid just did not move . The home kits are not valid for travel abroad. Not as accurate apparently.

We have to get to France before winter sets in to check on essential maintenance. It won’t be a holiday as such but certainly a present break. I doubt we will mix much, we rarely do. Our immediate neighbours and a couple of friends will be it. We prefer to go over before Winter whilst covid numbers are lower as I am sure they will rise again from about late October
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Enjoying my feet singing after Susan breathed on them yesterday. Castings this morning for a couple of hours, no excuses. Veggie shopping later if there is a break in the rain and butcher delivers tonight. My cup runneth over!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

How is Susan , Stanley? Feeling a little better I hope. Yesterday was as planned and as expected it was 5.30 pm when we got back from our friend’s house after lunching with them. Today I shall be doing dance exercise this morning followed by zoom art, not that I have done anything to review except the little sessions I do with Briony on a Sunday. This is the last zoom session as live meetings re-commence in two weeks. I have declined to attend and said I will return, probably in September. Next week live craft group sessions commence but I will not be attending those either.

After lunch today Bob and I will potter over to Majestic wine in Clitheroe to find a wine that meets the requirements for tomorrow nights u3a wine appreciation group. There are no plans to return to live meetings with this group. We have enjoyed the luxury of enjoying a glass of wine in our own living rooms and the drivers amongst us being able to drink too .

That's about it really, rain forecast all day so the rebuilding of the pond wall is on hold. Not that the rain is very hard and will hardly wet the ground, though I can hear the water butt filling which is good as it was empty . My veggies will need a little extra this evening I think

Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for asking Sue. Basically no better in that the sarcoidosis is incurable and she is learning how to live with it. As I'm sure you know Sue, it is very similar to Lupus and just as intractable.
"Not that the rain is very hard and will hardly wet the ground"
Not too sure about that Sue, at least in respect of Barlick. We have had light but steady rain for 12 hours now and it is expected to last all day.

This was the main business of the day, an export order from Hertfordshire.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Not here Stanley the soil is hardly damp and the paths are neatly dry. The rain hardly dampens them. We shall see what happens later, but the forecast was for to to get less not more
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Going to see the surgery nurse for blood tests just after lunch and then going to the dentist around tea time.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No shopping to get in the way so a full two hours in the shed this morning. Normal walks I think as we are promised it will be dry. I think we had a decent wet yesterday Sue. The Green was getting brown edges but they are less noticeable now. The trees are quite magnificent!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”