Today I shall be Mainly...

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Marilyn »

Day 3 of daggy painting clothes, and painting doors.
Should finish tomorrow...
( the carpet burns on my knees from doing the low work are my only bother. I am ok once I have been down there a while, but that first kneel of the day is murder. You could fry eggs on my poor red knees at the moment. I have been applying a good cream, but it feels like two big spots of severe sunburn.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You have my sympathy Maz. I function well while I am upright but yesterday I had some time on my knees re-arranging my sounds and all I can say is thank God for the thick underlay under the carpet!
Today I shall be reading the manual for my new radio after a spell in the shed. I cracked the refitting of the crank yesterday for the new engine....

Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Keeping my fingers crossed for a warm dry day for entertaining our French neighbours. Got some clearing to do to take to the charity collection point( no charity shops here). Then some scones to make. Tomorrow will be some last minute cleaning as friends arrive for a week on Tuesday. we go home the day after they leave
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thank your lucky stars you aren't here Sue. We're having cold April weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Usual Sunday morning housework on free leccy. I wonder whether the washing machine will behave itself after applying the site fixes? New one is ordered anyway......
Doing a bit more on my high class con-rod....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

A good afternoon was had by all. After a three hour tea we were invited back for coffee!

Did I tell you that my eldest daughter is swimming in the World Masters Swimming championships in Budapest, so the whole family have gone there on holiday. Julia was a National standard swimmer in her youth, swimming against and with the best of her era. Her stroke was the 200 back and the 400 INdividual Medley for which she won a silver medal in the National age group championships at 14, missing the British team by one place. Anyway this year she has returned to swimming after 22 years. She doesn't get chance to train much as she works away a lot. Also, due to work commitments she couldn't get to Budapest for the 200m backstroke which was earlier this week. However yesterday she did the 100 and did a personal best by 2 seconds being third in her heat and 38 th out of 58 for the 40-44 age group. It's a sprint and she is better at distance but we are so proud of her. Today is the 50 m back. Definitely not her race but still an achievement to make a qualifying time for the event which is 8.30 this morning...hence me being awake at this time as I can watch it on You Tube. Live
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Going back into that age group must have involved a lot of hard work training, it doesn't happen by accident! I am impressed!
I'm glad the international goodwill event went well Sue!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

A young chap, 40-44 age group, who does a lot of swmming at the Colne pool is also there. There is a big following at Colne for this type of event with one or two lined up for Hawaii ironman/ironwoman later this year.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

A totally amazing swim from her, knocked 3 -4 seconds of her PB. It was never her stroke but this was a good time for a 42 year old. The winner inher age group broke the world record in 30 seconds, Julia did just over 38 s.

Julia went back to swimming when her daughter Eve was talent spotted by City of Coventry. Eve was having a lesson one day by a stand in teacher who is a member of City of Coventry squad. This person was impressed and asked Eve to have a trial, which she did. They took her on even though she should have been 8. That was about March as Eve was 8 in April. Julia thought she may as well join the Masters group as she was taking Eve anyway, so that is about 6 months back in the water training about twice a week. She used to train 4 mornings , Sunday afternoon and 5 evenings when she was younger. It puts it all into perspective. Eve looks just like Julia in the water. She just swims three times a week, that's enough for her age.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Impressive but I shall not be changing my exercise regime! As for Ironman..... I spent my working life doing that!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I do exercise, not sport. I agree completely Stanley. However some have this competitive streak and Julia does, but mainly against her self and self improvement. Mind you she does like to win :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes, that can be a problem. I think it's one of the reasons I have never been comfortable with competition in any form, it manufactures losers. An individual's performance, even if they 'lost' can be more laudable than the winner's if they have had personal handicaps. And yes, I know about aspiration but as you say, it's healthiest to compete against yourself and improve. That's the healthiest and happiest route I think.
The main event today is a trip to Skipton on the top deck of the Witchway bus to arrange my funeral and I shall buy Susan lunch...... Perhaps a walk round the town as well if the weather is good.... As for dress, I have decided that my B17 Tail gunner's outfit is the theme for the day......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Julia has always been very sensible. She was a very talented and able child but was always very quiet about her achievements. People at school did not know she was a successful swimmer until quite late in her sporting career, and then only because we had to ask for time off school to go and compete away.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Always a good ploy Sue.

I plumped for my B17 outfit yesterday and Susan and I had a good and successful day out. Howcroft's at Skipton were not phased by the Direct Funeral, it's part of their service and a third of the normal price. There will be a commemoration event, yet to be arranged which will be a live steaming of one of my engines! The daughters are delighted with the idea.
Today I shall be back to normal, cooking and shed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just about to take our Ruby back and drive the M6 corridor to Sandbach services and the A500 turnaround. AA road watch says the route is clear but I will use the A50 get out of jail free option if I drop below 50mph. I don't do motorways if I cant get into top gear. There are escape routes all the way down once you get to the Lyme truck stop.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You took the DOG, Stanley?! On the bus?!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Why not Maz?

My journey took 2 hours down, the AA traffic maps are not really showing the correct information. The 50mph for 15 or so miles is still in place and why would it not be? Work isn't due to finish until 2019. They no longer show it as roadworks on the map though? The journey back took 3 hours for the 85 miles, we ran into the roadworks Northbound and traffic was flowing at 50 mph but just past the first exit opportunity traffic slowed to 5mph stop start which makes the next exit an hour a way at least. Nothing about the delay on the radio and nothing apparent in the road. Cleared by Lyme truck stop so we stayed on the M6, we had already lost the hour between junctions. Northbound was clear when we were going down, sods law I suppose, less than 30 mph average over the journey with no apparent reason. I will do it all on the A's next time just to see what the difference is.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

That confirms my prejudice against the M6. I always use the A1 when heading North. They've bridged all the roundabouts, and and I'd say the Peterborough bypass (4 lanes) is the best bit of road in England. Forget HS2 and upgrade the roads to that standard. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I like the A1 as well Tripps it is after all the first arterial North / South route but its at the wrong side of the country for this run. The A1 used to be the main artery when I was first motorbiking, about 80% of the weekend rallies were accessible from that corridor. We only used the West side for the Lakes and the ones in Wales. Even with the roundabouts it was fast on a motorbike and lots of transport cafe's and stopping places. :biggrin2:

It looks like the M6 smart motorway upgrade will basically be 4 lanes either side with lane control by overhead gantries and CCTV.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy,no way I would leave Jack alone in the house for five hours. He was no problem at all, many places are dog-friendly now, even some cafés and restaurants. He loves a day out and riding in car or bus! Susan like to have him on the lead as well as he doesn't pull so she takes charge of him while I have a smoke. She commented on how well-behaved he is amongst people. The funeral directors were delighted with him.
" I don't do motorways if I cant get into top gear." I've never heard anyone say that before Ian but it sums up road travel today. Parkinson's Law on roads is that traffic expands to fit the space allotted to it. How long before 4 lanes is insufficient?
Enjoying myself in the shed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Unless you are sight impaired and have a trained Guide Dog ( or a specific Disability trained dog) you can not take your pet dog on any public transport here.
I know you love your dog, but others have allergies and shouldn't be forced to endure your dog.
I am not being mean. I love dogs! ( we were happy to have your dog when you came to tea at our holiday rental).
We look forward to "babysitting" son's dog for a fortnight shortly.
I think we have tougher rules here..

I know you have pre-planned your funeral....but what plans do you have for your dog? ( tough question, but I only ask it because we have pledged to take on the care of son's dog should any tragedy happen. It gave son peace of mind that I should take care of his beloved "fur face"..)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 08:14 Unless you are sight impaired and have a trained Guide Dog ( or a specific Disability trained dog) you can not take your pet dog on any public transport here.
I know you love your dog, but others have allergies and shouldn't be forced to endure your dog.
So I assume that public transport is denied to anyone with a dog including the elderly where the canine may well be their only companion. Seems like stupid policy to me. With regard to the allergies, open a window if the creature offends you. They will be wanting paper bags over their heads next when walking in any public space. Never heard owt as daft.

Over here we have "care and well-being dogs" who are taken to residential homes for the elderly, hospices and the like to give comfort to folk. The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Panny...my comments were not intended to offend, but YES we have different laws, especially in public eating places and accommodation. ( a dog that does not have some sort of assistance training is not allowed in enclosed public spaces...such as supermarkets, cafes, pubs,buses, trains, shops, cabs, etc).
Assistance dogs generally have an identifying jacket.
We do enjoy assistance dogs in care homes...

Pet dogs are different. You are welcome at Cafes or pubs that have outdoor seating with an external entry. You can't take your dog into a food serving area that is enclosed even if you are just passing through to order. Most folk sit at street tables if they have their dog with them.
Most holiday accommodation won't accept pet dogs. Some do, but you are likely to pay a refundable tariff against damage and cleaning services...and "doggy smell" is an acceptable charge in such cleaning service.
Many caravan parks here do not allow pets, even though you keep them in your own van. When they do allow pets, they must be constantly tethered.
BillHowcroft
Donor

Post by BillHowcroft »

My 91 year old mother has been asking if she can she can pre-buy her funeral. I'm all in favour but my brothers are not so keen. As far as I am concerned it's her money & we should respect her wishes.
Didn't know we had a family funeral firm in Skipton. Only time I'vebeen there was to take my wife for a weekend in Harrogate, which was an excuse to call at Skipton to collect a toolmakers chest I'd bought on ebay. Nice castle & canal.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Bill...bless you...but if Mum is 91 years...it is probably time to make arrangements that suit her. What a lovely age. We all hope we will make it.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”