POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

I shall read my ballot paper very carefully. I am back in monitoring mode after a sleep.
British Steel is in administration, so much for Stephenson's reassuring words. The Official Receiver will run the company until a buyer is found but have already said that there are no takers....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Time on my hands again...
20190522_161605.jpg
:-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I was going to post 'Game on - get the popcorn' about an hour ago, but they say she is hiding in the bunker from her cabinet ministers - some say she has a chair under the door handle.

All she needs is to get her Withdrawal Bill through, but only she and Rory Stewart think that's possible. I guess the 'black spot' is on its way :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree David. I was expecting her to go any time yesterday but as you say she is stringing it out until she is forced to do something. (And wasting even more time!) Never mind waiting until the Monday results, they are a foregone conclusion, better for a caretaker (Lidington?) to deal with the flak. The egregious Leadsom resigning might be a trigger, either for her to go or more resignations. Expect Leadsom to declare for the Leadership today. Most of the rest of the MPs will only be thinking about whom they should back for PM.
The cleanest way and the best for the country would be for the Tories to leave and for a General Election but there is no way they will do that after the vote of confidence comes in on Monday. Any way you look at it the Tories are expecting a blood bath , many will be heading for the revolving door.
What's the betting the removal van is on standby with the engine warmed up?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

It looks like the dancing queen will be leaving stage left. Whether she will return wearing a pair of boots to give some of her fellow MPs a kicking or in preparation for the Short Walk from Heaven to Hell before the last drop is anybody's guess. Of course she has been very unlucky and has suffered a shortage of 'Events Dear Boy, Events'. Without the means to initiate a good old fashioned war and not in a position to conduct a trade war with China the best we could do was pull faces and make rude noises at Russia.
Leadsom's departure could be pointing at a total collapse of government
Stanley wrote: 23 May 2019, 02:01 ..would be for the Tories to leave and for a General Election but there is no way they will do that...
but the threat of more cabinet ministers resigning could be enough for her to pull the plug on this latest Withdrawal Agreement Bill and start a round of leadership elections.
Who knows, The inmates have taken control of the asylum.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

How ironic that those people who think Britain should rule the world and kick out Johnny Foreigner are the very ones that have got us into this mess and made us the laughing stock of the world! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

From Tom Newton Dunn.

Where we currently are, says one senior Tory: “Cabinet want the ‘22 to do her in, the ‘22 want Cabinet to. Both sides want to avoid the optics of a pack of men picking on a woman”.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Optics' - I hope you've got that on your list, Tripps! :smile:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Yes it's on the list. :smile:

I've just been to vote - just me and two others there. They said it had been busy earlier. All the candidates names were on the ballot. Probably were last time - I guess I never noticed.

Nice touch -there was a saucer of sweets on the desk, so it was a walk home sucking a strawberry sherbert. very nice. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, at least you got a reward for voting!
News yesterday that May is piling furniture up inside the door to Number 10....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later, listening to T May announcing that she will resign on the 7th of June. She will remain PM until a new Leader is found so that means we have at least two months of suspended animation to look forward to at this crucial time. Brilliant.....
The rest of it is devoted to the falling deficit and the end of austerity..... To hear her you'd think that this government is the victim of circumstances. The spin continues until the end.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 23 May 2019, 20:17 Nice touch -there was a saucer of sweets on the desk, so it was a walk home sucking a strawberry sherbert. very nice. :smile:
Well, they had to do something to increase the turn out! :smile:

There's a lot of talk this morning about us heading for a no-deal Brexit, no mention of a second referendum. Yet in the face of increasing populism and nationalism in Europe the EU members would prefer us to stay in and would surely allow an extension for another referendum in the hope that with the benefit of what we've learnt in the last 3 years we'll vote to remain.

Rising populism and nationalism in Europe can get used by Brexiteers as a reason for leaving the EU, even though they are themselves populist and nationalist. In fact it's a reason why we should stay in the EU, to help prevent its spread and to keep Europe stable and at peace.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

People are asking for what the government told them at that time, the government that was voted in power by you, the electorate. That is to say that the winning 'Majority Leave' vote should be respected. The spoiled cry-baby Europhiles are searching desperately for any way to overturn the legitimate result and to keep the UK in the EU against the majority wishes.

Respect the vote and leave the EU.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sheer bloody nonsense China. Sorry but that's all it is. There is never a good reason for taking a course of action that in so many ways can only damage the country irreparably. If someone in authority ordered you to shoot yourself would you do it?
Her resignation was pure spin for the Tory party, that Rowson cartoon cartoon says it all.... (And I posted that before she spoke!) It was an attempt to portray failure as success. The truth is that they have pillaged the poor, the disadvantaged and the workers, cut funding for local politics and the essential services and refused to take responsibility for anything. Never mind all the platitudes... she and her colleagues have dragged us down, saddled us with impossibly expensive projects and fended off all criticism with predictable spin with no substance.
She has failed miserably and left us in the worst position I can ever remember. Ken Clark was right this morning when he said that anybody who says they know where all this is leading is a fool.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

:extrawink:
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

The end of May is on the 7th of June.....
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Clout casting will be a little late this year - but most welcome. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Pluggy wrote: 24 May 2019, 16:01 The end of May is on the 7th of June.....
After the holidays! May as well get those in first!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There are 17 runners for the leadership and still counting....
I am still enraged by her speech setting out her and the government's 'achievements'.
Now we have the possibility of Bojo for PM. Oh God!
On the subject raised elsewhere about the toll it has taken on her. I have sympathy for any human who is suffering but she grabbed the chance of power voluntarily and so as far as damage caused by the post it's self inflicted. As I understand it she is going to cling on until a new leader is elected, that could be July or August as the contest doesn't start until the week following her resignation date. Depends how long it takes to get the election process done. Then we will have yet another unelected Tory minority government faced with an impossible task and the prospect of No Deal. This isn't progress!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

You're a miserable lot, Mrs May has united the parliamentary parties to an extent that as never been done before. Unfortunately they are united against her.
Boris for PM, not as daft as you may think. It was Karl Marx who wrote that picking a buffoon as leader would appeal to a wide rage of people. To paraphrase, Those that see it as a joke, someone different who they can laugh at. Those who can get what they want, he won't understand what is happening and those who think the government deserves no better, they are all a bunch of clowns anyhow.
Perhaps we are in for a period of Prime Ministerial churn where No10 will be a short term bedsit until the next general election.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 25 May 2019, 07:07 Perhaps we are in for a period of Prime Ministerial churn where No10 will be a short term bedsit until the next general election.
Labour Party have asked for an immediate General Election after they have made their choice. If right were right that should be a given however I reckon they will try to make it the Alamo and attempt to cling on until 2022. :sad:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I note that the slightly strange 'Rory' Stewart (his actual name is Roderick) has been putting himself about on the radio this morning, having declared himself a candidate for the Tory party leadership. Fascinating character with a wonderful back story. I recall that in recent weeks he was the only minister who was prepared to defend Mrs May's madness, and gave her regular and total support.

LBC's take was typical and irreverent - the presenter implied that a problem he has, is that he doesn't look like a PM, and he mentioned that his nickname is 'Florence of Arabia'. :smile:

I found this background from the Guardian. Rory Stewart MPSays it all really. Son of a 'diplomat', Dragon School then Eton, then Oxford where he tutored Prince William and Harry while he was still a student. He has attended the Bilderberg meeting, and is very well connected - just what we need at this moment. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Did you watch his TV programmes `Border Country: The Story of Britain's Lost Middleland'? LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"... slightly strange 'Rory' Stewart "
I'm glad you said that David. I've always thought that but have refrained from seeming to make personal comment. I think he's weird!
I think May will not be flitting until end July or even into August. I also think Ian is right.... the Tories will hang on until forced out. They know an election will be a blood bath. Only concerted action by a combination of Opposition Parties will shift them sooner. Remember Cameron's Cunning Wheeze, fixed term parliaments!
However, in the strange situation we have now anything could happen! Don't hold your breath but watch this space....
Later.... when politicians like Raab say things like we must "demonstrate unflinching resolve" reach for your tin hat!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 26 May 2019, 02:35 "... slightly strange 'Rory' Stewart "
Reminded me of Mick Jagger. I see they, (the Tory Party) have given him the sobriquet of 'Florence of Arabia'. When people start labeling people like this you can be sure that they think he is a real threat. The last thing the Tories want is someone who talks sense. What they need is someone who is strong and stable who can lead the country forward to that mythical El Dorado accompanied by much flag waving and cheering.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”