POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

Problem with that attitude China is that before Covid struck 14.5million people in the UK were classed as living in poverty. It is almost certainly higher than this now. That's why food prices matter and it is more than 'getting used to it'.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Our Brexit withdrawal minister (unelected) David Frost who organised and wrote the fantastic deal that Bris Johnson endorsed as the solution that would solve ALL our problems including making Ireland safe appears to be having a change of mind. First it was some sections which he had no fully understood. Then it moved on maybe bits need renegotiating and now finally its a bag of rubbish and ought to be scrapped in its entirety. Partially its parliaments fault in rushing it through to get Brexit done although the final signing of the treaty took place when Boris had a stonking 80 seat majority. So from Boris Johnson and Mr Frosty who apparently always knew it was a bag of rubbish but were relying on the EU to relent when they found out they couldn't do without us its now their fault for agreeing to a treaty which the UK wrote and said leave it to us we can manage it. How stupid can these foreigners be? Now all the UK has to to is break an international treaty which we wrote and cancel the withdrawal agreement plus the Northern Ireland protocol and possibly take us back into the common market. Get Brexit Done All straight forward really. .
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ken, you illustrate nicely that the whole of the Brexit Thingy was always a can of worms and the Tory Party's management of it was pathetic. The only thing that has saved them from immediate excoriation is Covid. It is the most wonderful distraction technique since WW2. However, all 'good things' come to an end and eventually the Covid cover will dissipate like a smoke screen in the wind. Then we will have some clear targets. Question is have we got the right people in place to mount the attack?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 22 May 2021, 12:01 It is the most wonderful distraction technique since WW2.
Are you saying that either of these events was deliberately introduced to distract from other issues, or it just came in handy? :smile:

I'm still seeking a word to easily describe something that is a consequence of an event, rather than a cause. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just came in handy David....
Have you seen the news that Tony Hall has resigned as chair of the National Gallery saying that to stay 'would be a distraction'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I'm still seeking a word to easily describe something that is a consequence of an event, rather than a cause."
Will legacy fit the bill?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 23 May 2021, 02:51 "I'm still seeking a word to easily describe something that is a consequence of an event, rather than a cause."
Will legacy fit the bill?
No sorry - should have added - ' but many people actively believe that the consequence is actually the cause'.

I'm getting a bit above myself here. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 23 May 2021, 09:52 No sorry - should have added - ' but many people actively believe that the consequence is actually the cause'.
“Let the jury consider their verdict,” the King said, for about the twentieth time that day.
“No, no!” said the Queen. “Sentence first—verdict afterwards.”
“Stuff and nonsense!” said Alice loudly. “The idea of having the sentence first!”
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

'Getting the horse before the cart'? :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Two words.... Pre-emptive retaliation. :biggrin2:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Have you been reading Discworld novels again? :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I think I have decided that as a successor to

Mistook - made a mistake
Misheard - understandable - especially with increasing age
Misspoke - Weasel word to change what you actually said (think many politicians and Hilary Clinton).

I'll use Misconcluded to cover it.

Google shows it's not new,misconclude but I think it'll do - as Plusnet say in Yorkshire. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Did anyone note that pre brexit the Govt estimated 3million EU Citizens in the UK, actual numbers applying for the right to stay was 5million. (I always said the bus numbers over the ferry were never counted properly). It does explain the pressure on urban house prices and the fear of excessive immigration that was part of the numbers voting for Brexit/UKIP. Difficult to work out if those (in all classes of economic income) numbers increased UK GDP and competitiveness , or reduced the working opportunities.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall stick with self fulfilling prophesy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today is the day Cummings appears before the Health and Science Select Committee and fireworks are expected. See THIS BBC report by Laura Kuenssberg for an overview of can be expected.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The commons committee published their findings on the Track and Trace fiasco. Their measure cost of the Track and Trace was £37Billion. for comparison the wage and salary bill for the NHS for the year was £47Billion. I'm still trying to get my head round how the T &Trace can cost so much. An App from the play store may cost £5, giving it away free would only amount to £150Million, Good Software writers are expensive but there can only be a limited number employed on a single project at any one time. So how does one single project cost that much money?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A very good question Ken! I think the delectable Dido has moved on so it might be difficult to ask her. There seems to be a general feeling amongst those in the know that it has been a disaster and the money would have been far better spent in other areas.
On a separate matter. Did you hear Grant Shapps avoiding accepting responsibility for anything? Cringe making and totally non productive. At times like that I believe that the politicians are a waste of space.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A useful list of Cominic Dummings's key points - saves a lot of reading. Is there anything he didn't touch on? :smile:
`Key points: Dominic Cummings evidence' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Peter.
My only comment at the moment is that they seem to be doing politics different nowadays. It used to be debate in Parliament and Cabinet Government. Now it seems to be sofa government in Number Ten, a semi-presidential regime and Parliament used as a street sweeper to come in and tidy the aftermath.
The main casualties are truth, ethics and principled governance.
Later... Lots of people shooting the messenger this morning but even though I don't like Cummings or what he stands for, I think he is very intelligent and it would surprise me if his Pearl Harbour File doesn't have hard evidence in it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Expect wall to wall coverage on everyone was working incredibly hard to protect the public under terribly difficult circumstances. How all the team has full confidence in ( fill in name) and nobody could be expected to work harder for the public good.
Don't expect anybody to say he is lying or that he is factually wrong that would require hard proof The narrative will be about all those intangible opinions that are just what they are ,,opinions.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cummings now says they moved to Barnard Castle because his wife received threats in London from a mob outside their front door. If it's true why didn't he explain this at the time. He now says it was a `big mistake' not to have made that public earlier.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I suspect that much of what he says is accurate. I heard a very senior civil servant on R4 yesterday on World at One backing him up but not supporting him. This is a bomb with a very long fuse.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS is the height of politics as divulged to the masses at the moment. We are going to have the equivalent of the Royal Yacht though it will not be described as that.
Nobody is bothering to tell us about anything else that's happening in politics.
Later.... See THIS Report in the FT on the end of protection from eviction which has protected people on low incomes during the pandemic being lifted tomorrow. The Joseph Rowntree Foundation says that 400,000 families are at risk.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The 'Royal Yacht' appears to be an attempt to stem the tide of all those countries waiting to beat a path to London to do trade deals. They will just have to wait their turn until the trade counter arrives in port.
Alternatively, if the COBRA meetings leak so much information as Cummings suggests we may see the Cabinet move on board ready to do a runner when things turn sour and Joe Public realises he's been conned
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Tories who think that the Monarchy is the most important and best regarded of our English institutions have been agitating for a replacement for Britannia ever since the old one was decommissioned. They are in power now with a big majority and n excuse to do it. Whatever they call it, it's a new royal yacht.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”