POLITICS CORNER

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Tizer »

We spent 2 hours and 15 minutes in the local hustings last night before we'd had enough and left with other people. We learnt a bit more about local issues and watched the current MP, Rebecca Pow (Con), being laughed at in the way that folk laugh at Boris when he says `You can trust me'. The Labour, LibDem and Independent candidates all came over better than her. None of it changed my views and I was disappointed to hear them all banging on about `democracy' when in fact what they were talking about was populism. The concept of `listening to the people' is important but somehow it has been twisted into `doing what the people say regardless of whether it is good for them or not'. Whatever happened to our hundreds of years of representative democracy that has worked well and been respected and copied worldwide?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Politicians of all sorts are beneath contempt at the moment. They probably always were, but the instant nature of modern communications brings it home to us immediately.

Forty new hospitals, on closer examination becomes a scoping exercise for just eight, and Michael Gove tried to tell us this morning that when he promises 50,000 new nurses he can include the 20,000 who were going to leave but have been persuaded to stay. Yeah right. . .

He said also, with a straight face, that Jacob Rees Mogg, who is currently being treated like Rochester's wife, was campaigning actively - in Somerset. :smile:

I'm generally leaning towards Brexit, but if I hear the expression 'get Brexit done' one more time - especially from the serial clown Boris Johnson, I shall scream. :smile:

What's a chap to do. . .and please no one say vote Labour. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Well if you don't want Boris there is only one thing to do. That is not to waste your vote "in protest", might seem like a good idea and give you a warm feeling while you are marking your paper but it's pointless, none of the minor parties are going to get a shout but a vote for them is as bad as giving it to Boris.

There, I haven't said it, you are intelligent enough to get the drift. :extrawink:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I tend to agree that talking about traffic congestion in Colne is small beer compared to the Brexit fiasco where everything could disappear down the plug hole. But at a local level Pendle has been dying on its feet for 40 years and more. The population is stagnant with young people leaving the area. Its becoming one big geriatric nursing home. Without proper transport communications why would a big firm want to locate in this area? Sadly we may have to demolish some of the tired and worn out houses, I lost my family home along with those of several of my close family members in the 1970's Burnley, Gannow top clearances, Get the infrastructure right and you're in with a chance to improve the other conditions.

Ian, Yes I will be sending a question for the Colne hustings.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 11:44 Ian, Yes I will be sending a question for the Colne hustings.
Good, hopefully I may see you there. :smile:

Just found out that Andrew for Andrew, (or Johnnie come lately) has said that he will attend, should be fun. :extrawink:

Just thinking, most of the questions submitted may be on the premise that Stephenson would not be there as he has only just tipped his hat into the ring. Cunning plan or is he just scared?
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 11:55 Just found out that Andrew for Andrew, (or Johnnie come lately
You missed out ' Moonface' :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Or "the smiling assassin" or "photo bomb Andy", I could go on but won't.

Still waiting for a reply to my last question of him from two years ago. :sad:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 11:44 Well if you don't want Boris there is only one thing to do. That is not to waste your vote "in protest"...
Voting for the minor parties isn't wasting your vote. Not voting would be wasting it. If there is a large shift in vote to the minor parties it sends out the message that the public want a change from the two big parties.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Couple of bits going around twitter, one is present forecast based on opinion polling of Tory on 408 seats with about 43% of the vote. LD up a bit for number of seats and Lab Significantly down. again leaving Brexit aside, Labour appear to be getting hit on the anti-semitism (which may be real or somehthing disproportionally blown up - to me if any person is aware of something Labour (or any other organisation has specifically done, or allowed to be done without sanction or control, tell us and it can be followed up and dealt with ), and 'Dont Like Corbyn? ( again does anyone who makes this statement actually listen or read what Corbyn says ( Though I retain my problem with Corbyn - I would have slapped Boris down quickly on Brexit getting done - its not doing it that is the problem, but doing it correctly ). LibDems now scrabbling for the hope for more tactical voting for them , but their manifesto has bits in it one would find difficult to support hence any moderate non -brexit person would find it tricky as to what is the best place to go. Perhaps this is why , according to article in yesterdays London Evening Standard that 26% of persons polled are 'Dont Know' Maybe an option on Ballet (?oops, let that stay). Paper should be none of the above( the result would be that the previous incumbent - assuming no consituency changes - would be returned or if not standing they or their agents nominated person would nominate a sucessor.

I understand some tory person has been going off (unless it was a twitter spoof) that a right wing regieme should be returned to get rid of all these left wing teachers and BBC persons ( and a few other job roles- civil servants etc), which to me is really odd as I think BBC are to blame for giving Farage airtime and breath over the past few years and for promoting brexit as a reasonable economic/politically option, and if we had left-wing teachers ( that has been a comment since at least the 1970s), why nearly half the UK ( and a bit more England) in favour of Brexit supporting Right wing parties ?
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

plaques wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 11:44 I tend to agree that talking about traffic congestion in Colne is small beer compared to the Brexit fiasco where everything could disappear down the plug hole. But at a local level Pendle has been dying on its feet for 40 years and more. The population is stagnant with young people leaving the area. Its becoming one big geriatric nursing home. Without proper transport communications why would a big firm want to locate in this area? Sadly we may have to demolish some of the tired and worn out houses, I lost my family home along with those of several of my close family members in the 1970's Burnley, Gannow top clearances, Get the infrastructure right and you're in with a chance to improve the other conditions.

Ian, Yes I will be sending a question for the Colne hustings.
It would be nice at some time to discuss, how, if at all, parts of Pendle can be made fit for the C21st when we must assume that a more sustainable way of living and working will be needed ( and can such living be squared with the need or desire for quality appropriate houses , education, travel and living wages ?) - indeed the option of demolish and clear to farmland and woodland is not unreasonable, as could be extend the motorway through on the current protected transport alignment. If indeed fast broadband comes at no charge (and presumably the needed webhosting and email too) then the changes in working patterns could save CO2 in the long run.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 13:05 "photo bomb Andy",
Yes he misses no opportunity to be photographed with celebrities does he? :smile:
MP plus VIP's.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Whyperion wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 18:23 indeed the option of demolish and clear to farmland and woodland is not unreasonable, as could be extend the motorway through on the current protected transport alignment.
I think most people have given up to the idea of a Motorway. A two lane secondary standard road somewhere near the original alignment would be acceptable as a relief road. The original plans have long since disappeared as far as the general public are concerned, I wonder why? Expensive and difficult it may be but things have moved on since the days of shovels and wheelbarrows.
A little story, My friend from the NE came down via Leeds. Got lost, as one does in Leeds. Stopped of for lunch and saw the opportunity to asked some HGV drivers the way. The conversation went " where are you going? Colne! Good God keep away from there its a nightmare. Would you place a new firm in Colne on this recommendation?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Reading all that my first thought was that I have voluntarily shrunk my world to the point where my concerns are not on larger matters like motorways but are the streets clean and the gulley grates working. My second thought was that the reason why I chose Airedale over Blackburn was that on average you can get there in about twenty minutes and it's a nice run through countryside all the way. As for Pendle being a basket case, that may well be true but watch what happens if they amalgamate with Burnley and Barlick goes to Ribble Valley!
On the national front... Tories laughing their socks off as Corbyn fights the chief rabbi.
Polls still look in their favour but floating in the wind amongst the most experienced commentators is the thought that polls as they are conducted now seem to have had their day and they all warn that they should not be trusted. Everything else seems to be changing in politics and they could be right.
Only a fortnight to go before the poll and I haven't the faintest idea what is going to happen. The only certainty is that the media will have a field day.
14 days is a long time in politics and I have insulated myself against disappointment but having said that, this could well be my last General Election and I'd love to see the Tories given a kicking as a general principle. I shall know then whether there is a God or not!
I'm feeling old......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

[/quote]
Tripps wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 18:47
PanBiker wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 13:05 "photo bomb Andy",
Yes he misses no opportunity to be photographed with celebrities does he? :smile:
MP plus VIP's.jpg
Indeed, the perils of volunteer land. Sally and Mary with their trustees of Bosom Friends hats on were invited to a charity networking event hosted by Samantha Cameron. He was present as their representative MP. Strange thing is, despite numerous requests he never turned up to support Sally when she was down in London highlighting womens pension injustices. Another AKA, "Party Line Boy" :smile:

The Andrew Neil interview last night was a disgrace of bullying in order to try to extract the answer required rather than the explanations offered that were interrupted at every opportunity when JC was not jumping to Neils tune. Not content with that Neil produced downright lies regarding the holocaust denying member of the the Labour Party who was "only given a warning" but remained a member. This apparent proves that Jeremy Corbyn is an anti Semite. The former member actually resigned when she found out that she was being investigated by the party. No mention either that Rabbi Mirvis is one of Boris Johnson's mates.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

From one of the local Facebook sites and sourced from "Jewish Voices For Labour)...

Corbyn organised the Apr. 1977 defence of Jewish populated Wood Green from a Neo-Nazi march
EDM3933 7 Nov. 1990: Corbyn signs motion condemning the rise of antisemitism
EDM634, 11 Apr. 2000: Jeremy Corbyn signs motion condemning David Irving for being a Holocaust Denier
EDM1124, 6 Nov. 2000: Jeremy Corbyn praised the ‘British Schindler’, Bill Barazetti, for his WW2 kindertransport
EDM742, 28 Jan. 2002: Jeremy Corbyn signs motion praising football clubs for commemorating Holocaust Day
EDM1233 30 Apr. 2002: Corbyn was a primary sponsor on a motion condemning antisemitism
11 May 2002: Jeremy led a clean up of Finsbury Park Synagogue after an anti-Semitic attack
EDM1691, 23 July 2002: Corbyn condemned attacks on a synagogue in Swansea
EDM123 26 Nov. 2003: Corbyn officially condemns attacks on 2 Istanbul synagogues
EDM298, 16 Dec. 2003: Jeremy Corbyn signs motion commemorating International Holocaust Day2004: Jeremy condemned news that anti-Semitic hate crimes had risen for yet another year
EDM461, 21 Jan. 2004: Jeremy Corbyn condemned the French government’s moves to ban the Jewish Kippa in French Schools
EDM717, 26 Feb. 2004: Jeremy signed a motion praising Simon Wiesenthal for bringing Nazi perpetrators of the Holocaust to justice
EDM1613, 8 Sept. 2004: Corbyn co-sponsored a bill expressing fears for the future of the United Synagogue Pension Scheme
EDM1699, 11 Oct. 2004: Jeremy Corbyn condemned arbitrary attacks on civilians in Israel and Palestine
EDM482, 12 Jan. 2005: Jeremy Corbyn signs a motion commemorating International Holocaust Day
EDM343, 16 June 2005: Jeremy condemned the desecration of a Jewish cemetery in east London
EDM1343, 11 Jan. 2006: Jeremy Corbyn signs a motion commemorating International Holocaust Day
EDM1774, 8 Mar. 2006: Jeremy Corbyn led condemnations of an Iranian Magazine soliciting cartoons about the Holocaust
EDM1267, 16 Apr. 2006: Jeremy Corbyn condemned Bryan Ferry for anti-Semitic remarks
EDM2414, 26 June 2006: Jeremy Corbyn praised British war veterans for their efforts to combat the Holocaust
EDM2705, 10 Oct. 2006: Jeremy signed a motion marking the 70th anniversary of Cable Street
EDM271, 14 Nov. 2007: Jeremy co-sponsored a motion lamenting the poverty and social exclusion East London Jews suffered
EDM153, 12 May 2008: Corbyn praised the efforts of the Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto during the uprising of 1944
EDM2350, 27 Oct 2008: Jeremy Corbyn signs a motion marking the 70th anniversary of the horrors of the holocaust
EDM173, 8 Dec. 2008: Jeremy condemned the Press Complaints Commission for refusing to sanction The Times for antisemitism
EDM461, 14 Jan. 2009: Jeremy Corbyn condemned a wave of recent anti-Semitic incidents targeted
EDM605, 27 Jan. 2009: Corbyn signed John Mann’s motion condemning antisemitism on university campuses
EDM917 26 Feb. 2009: Jeremy signs a motion condemning antisemitism on the internet
EDM1175 24 Mar. 2009: Corbyn signs a motion praising the heroism of British Jews during Holocaust
EDM337, 2 Dec. 2009: Jeremy Condemned Iran’s treatment of Jewish minorities in Iran
EDM850 9 Feb. 2010: Jeremy joins in calls for Facebook to do more to fight antisemitism
EDM891: 22 Feb 2010: Corbyn co-sponsors a motion calling for Yemen’s Jews to be given refugee status to the UK
EDM908 27 Oct. 2010: Corbyn praises work of late Israeli PM in his pursuit of a 2 state solution
EDM1360, 27 Jan. 2011: Corbyn co-sponsored a motion praising the ‘never again for anyone initiative’
EDM1527, 3 Mar. 2011: Corbyn backed Ian Paisley’s motion condemning the anti-Semitic remarks of Dior’s lead fashion designer
EDM2870, 14 Mar. 2012: Jeremy Corbyn condemned the sale of Nazi memorabilia at an auction in Bristol
EDM2866, 14 Mar 2012: Jeremy Corbyn co-sponsored a bill condemning the rise of antisemitism in Lithuania
EDM2899, 20 Mar. 2012, Jeremy Corbyn condemned a terrorist attack on a Jewish school in Toulouse
EDM168, 12 June 2012, Jeremy co-sponsored a motion condemning anti-Semitic attacks during EURO 2012 in Poland
EDM 195 13 June 2012: Jeremy attacks BBC for cutting Jewish programmes from Its schedule
EDM 1133 1 Mar 2013: Corbyn joins a chorus of calls condemning antisemitism In sport
1 Oct. 2013: Corbyn was one of the few MPs who defended Ralph Miliband from Daily Mail antisemitism
EDM 932 9 Jan 2014: Jeremy praises Holocaust Memorial’s work on antisemitism education
EDM 165 22 June 2015: Jeremy condemns a Neo-Nazi rally planned for a Jewish area of London
Sat 4 July 2015: Jeremy co-planned a counter-fascist demo in defence of Jewish residents at Golders Green. The march was re-routed
18 Nov. 2015, Corbyn used one of his first PMQs to challenge Cameron to do more on antisemitism
9 Oct 2016: Corbyn, close to tears, leads commemoration of the Battle of Cable Street
3 Dec. 2016: Corbyn visits Terezin Concentration Camp to commemorate Holocaust victimsIn
2017-19 Jeremy introduced 20 new measures to combat antisemitism in the Labour Party.

Just saying. :extrawink:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Perhaps you ought to send that to the newspaper, TV and radio companies, Panbiker, and ask them why they aren't using it.

On a different matter, BBC News is running a project to detect and investigate who is behind political ads appearing on social media: `Seen any political ads? Send them to us. Please get involved - if you get an election ad on Facebook or any social media platform, send a screenshot of it and the Why Am I Seeing This Ad message to election.ads@bbc.co.uk.' The ads are part of devious attempts to influence voters. Here is the latest report...

`General Election 2019: Which non-party groups are sending you ads?' LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sally with Azhar Ali our candidate for Constituency MP and John McDonnell today discussing WASPI issues.

Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I think I may have solved Jeremy Corbyn's financial problems - Solution :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, I refuse to watch any of Brillo Pad's programmes. He is and always has been a bully and besides that his career doesn't bear close scrutiny. See PE ad infinitum. Good list..
Tell Sally I said she looks younger every time I see her!
Media gurus keep banging on about the 'reality' that Labour isn't landing killer punches on Johnson. There's just a possibility that they are falling for the Tory rhetoric themselves. Polling Day will tell us the story.
The new Crosby gang of Spads at No. 10 think they are Lords of the Universe and are even worse than Cummings. An evil bunch if you ask me.
What has happened to Sajid Javez? Is he helping Jacob 'campaign in Somerset'?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I managed to get to the first Hustings event in Nelson last night. The room in the Ace Centre was rammed. The event was well managed by Building Bridges and In Situ and run as a conversational talking session around a circular table with the candidates around one side and members of the public who had specific questions around the other. The members of the public there chose four main categories by show of hand for discussion in 20 minute sessions. The public questioning team was changed as each category for discussion came up.

Some lively debate. Lib Dem Gordon Lishman seemed lack lustre although he commented on just about everything, certainly not touting for votes. The Independent candidate John Richardson was doing a good impression of a rabbit in the headlights and I think was totally out of his depth, he suggested a ski lift on Pendle as a means of regeneration for the area which was the best he could do all night! Andrew Stephenson I felt was on the back foot and was constantly taken to task on his voting record. He was particularly pole axed by an impassioned question from one member of the public on arms sales to Israel and their use against the Palestinians. He also made the point that criticizing Israel and it's policy does not make you an anti Semite. Azhar had the night and the room on his side without a doubt, confident in his delivery he could give an acceptable answer to everything asked and was skilled in his exchanges with Andrew Stephenson.

A good event and well organised. I will go to the Colne one next week to see if Stephenson has upped his game, he will need to, hard when you are trying to defend the indefensible though and nice to watch him wriggle.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Women Against State Pension Inequality (WASPI). Unbelievable isn't it. The main question of the day is .. 'where is the money going to come from to repay these women which we stole in the first place? The answer is simple. If we collectively benefited from this theft then we collectively should repay it. Having accepted this responsibility we can ask who perpetrated this scam then hold them to account at the ballot box. If you are happy to accept broken promises and believe blatant lies then vote Johnson because there's plenty more where this one came from.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This is what all the fuss was about yesterday Yougov MPR polling

I've saved the link - it will be good to see how accurate the predictions turn out to be. Interestingly I note that they predict Bolsover to fall to the Conservatives. I didn't expect that.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Azhar rang us today to see if it was OK to pass Sally's mobile number on to the Guardian for her to be contacted for comments on the WASPI announcement. Sally was on exam invigilation this morning but picked up a message from Polly Toynbee at break time. She rang her back and was interviewed for about 5 minutes for a piece that she is writing today. I suppose we had better buy it tomorrow. :smile:
Ian
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

plaques wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 20:52 Would you place a new firm in Colne on this recommendation?
Simply, you would not , it is in the middle of everywhere, yet in the middle of nowhere.

Supposedly the Mills and Ironworks were in Burnley, the Managers in Nelson and the Owners in Colne especially that bit up to Trawden and Keighley. Colne itself runs from up the hills to the south which lead to Pennine upper moorland, and across the valley north toward the floodlands of Barrowford. Burnley has enough spare ex industrial (rapidly becoming housing !) landscapes, the last distribution park made some stoats and weasels homeless annoyingly- do we really need anther builders merchant and concreted over land ?, to develop for - what kind of business might you envisage that would not alternatively locate in another place ( Longridge Factory in Central west midlands is now part housing , when that area was a powerhouse of manufacturing.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Have a listen to the vox pops on todays R4 World At One, I am distressed by the economic illteracy of supposedly educated people when it comes to understanding how or where funding for many labour policies would come from ( woman stating that having read tory manifesto as they would spend less than labour this was better a reducing debt which was a good thing ) , quite simply at present spending more at the low ends of personal incomes would put enough money into business to increase profitably revenues, while I would not really think that increasing corporation tax rates is a good thing (I can do an economic case to reduce it to zero ), if there are more revenues this should for corporations net out a little loss to their investors.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”