POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

I sympathise with these views but this may not be the forum to advertise them as it is open to public view.
Yes, China (and India) are climbing out of the hole they dug/were placed into by history and the centre of gravity shifts eastwards. I have no problem with that, it is just normal development. As China says, there are problems with the US accepting these developments. I am afraid they will have to do so eventually and the sooner they accept reality with grace the better. It takes a long time. The UK is only now grudgingly accepting that the days of empire have gone. It still lingers in places like the backbenches of the Tory Party and was one of the driving forces of Brexit.
How long until we have to reapply for membership? At the moment, as in NI, our response has to be breaking the protocol we have negotiated and agreed to. This is one of the causes of the riots in the Springfield Road and all part of the tangled results of not bowing gracefully out of being a 'world player'. Eventually the US will have to learn the same lesson.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Whenever I hear about the US and its gun problems I agree with Chinatyke that America is declining fast and will end up a wreck. I can't see any way out of the gun problem without either becoming an authoritarian regime or ending up at war with themselves. They've left it too late.
`US gun violence: Biden takes action on 'international embarrassment'' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Quote..
The National Rifle Association (NRA), the biggest gun rights lobby group in the US, described the measures as "extreme" and said it was ready to fight.

I have read that the NRA is under investigation for misuse of members funds for private use. Something a not for profit organisation should not be doing. The legal action was intended to take place in New York State where the NRA had it headquarters. The NRA has now filed for bankruptcy and has moved it headquarters to Texas. It is suspected that these actions are an attempt to avoid prosecution of the top men. More sleaze and money diversion under the guise of standing up for peoples rights.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

The death of The Prince Philip gets the political soundbite from Boris, etc (hell, Boris as PM when Her Majesty goes, who would have wanted that). The parties have agreed to stop campaigning today (why?), though Sturgeon gets in on linking the Duke of Edinburgh to his scots education and times at Balmoral, etc !!. I expect Private Eye to carry its headline picture as 'Man Dies of Old Age in Bed at Home'.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 02:56 He's good at ideas Ken, you could have added the water cannon... :biggrin2:
Squashed only by May as the Home Secretary.

With respect to food poverty , systems for food sharing go back to biblical days (I am not aware of rules in other cultures of the time ), leaving both the margin for gleaning, and the command to undertake charitable giving over and above tithes to the priesthood (why did 1/12 of the population get 1/10th of the food ?), (note other taxes were not included and were part of councilling against having a king over and above clerical rulers)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Absolutely right Ken. In any normal country the NRA would be in deep trouble but the red necks won't see a bit of leakage in the funds as any big problem.
What struck me was that the death in Windsor is a timely distraction for him and his 'lobbying'.
The terrible thought struck me that not only has Johnson copped for being PM at a royal funeral there is always the possibility of another one and God help us, a coronation. Again, timely distraction.
In local politics, I see that Jenny Purcell is personally responsible for pothole repairs and the finishing of the Town Square project. (I got my first piece of election material through the letter box, 'Barnoldswick Matters'.
I am wondering why the Labour Party have cancelled campaigning this weekend 'as a mark of respect'. How does that work? In what way does the death of an old bloke in Windsor have anything to do with local politics?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 11:44I have read that the NRA is under investigation for misuse of members funds for private use. Something a not for profit organisation should not be doing. The legal action was intended to take place in New York State where the NRA had it headquarters. The NRA has now filed for bankruptcy and has moved it headquarters to Texas. It is suspected that these actions are an attempt to avoid prosecution of the top men. More sleaze and money diversion under the guise of standing up for peoples rights.
Plaques, odd as it might seem, all that took place while Trump was President but I guess they might have been hedging their bets about who would be next President.
Stanley wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 02:47 I am wondering why the Labour Party have cancelled campaigning this weekend 'as a mark of respect'. How does that work? In what way does the death of an old bloke in Windsor have anything to do with local politics?
Haven't the local elections been cancelled due to the death? Politics Home

I see that Cameron now thinks perhaps it would have been better to have sent a letter asking for cash for Greensill. Unfortunately for him that news will be lost amid new information that: `Suspect Gupta invoices used for Greensill loans stirs fears of fraud' (On front page of today's FT.)
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

If Cameron had contacted the Officials responsible for the administration of the funds dispersements in an employee (or agent) capacity of the applicant , or enquired to them of the due process of how do make such application, rather than using a mates personal phone contact detail (which would not have been open to other organisations) the process would have been clear, and correct.

Quite why Parliament has to be recalled for Members to speak their bit about Philip Is beyond me, they dont get recalled for more serious things, a question of priorities, if as much effort were put into say, Grenfell and the Cladding issues maybe a reasonable conclusion might get found. Windbags , fond of their own voices (says he fond of his own typing !). Of course if say, some of Philip's concerns on environmental destruction were actually given serious action it might be worth peppering London with 82 guns worth of salutes.

On Campaigning, still got a Lib Dem london mayor vote for me letter through(lib dem) (from royal mail), an a Lib dem flyer too (poss with royal mail dont know as up late and paperwork all on the floor in a muddle)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only the campaigning Peter, not the elections.
My question is still why? What's a royal death got to do with elections?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 03:30 My question is still why? What's a royal death got to do with elections?
Just to remind you where in the pecking order you stand. We now know that democracy stands behind Royalty. I always wondered what Brexit was about and now I know.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 03:30 Only the campaigning Peter, not the elections.
Thanks for the correction, Stanley. There's more about when campaigning resumes here: LINK
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is part of an article on Cameron and Greensill that starts on the front page of today's Sunday Times. Poor resolution because it's a screenshot of the BBC rendering of the front page...

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Its nice to know that 'Smoke filled rooms' is still alive and kicking.

A smoke-filled room (sometimes called a smoke-filled back room) is a secret political gathering or round-table-style decision-making process. The phrase is generally used to suggest an inner circle of power brokers, as at a convention. It suggests a cabal of powerful or well-connected, cigar-smoking men meeting privately to nominate a dark horse political candidate or otherwise make decisions[1] without regard for the will of the larger group.

No minutes of the meeting just a nod between pals. Funny how these top people forget they can use Zoom and get an automatic record. :surprised:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Look up Tammany Hall in NY Ken.... (LINK) The original home of Pork Barrel Politics. Take note of Boss Tweed....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

In the small local forest that is Town Council politics there is an interesting development with a bit of a mystery. I mentioned earlier that 10 electors of Coates ward had written to trigger an election to fill the vacancy on the Town Council. When Sally handed in her nomination papers she asked to see the list of who had triggered the election. We knew that it wasn't our party and assumed that it would not be the LibDems as they are always banging on about it costing too much and the alternative of co-option is always preferred by themselves. Not withstanding that this latter method usually produces the result they want to maintain the status quo of a single party council. Could it be the Tories an Independent or even a Green, that was the question?

On seeing the list, not a list really just a quick flip through the individual letters. Difficult to remember all ten electors but four of them were names she recognised. None of them affiliated to any political parties as far as we know. The next day when Sally was out walking she actually bumped into one of the known names and asked why they had asked for an election, expecting to be told that an Independent or Green candidate would be standing. Apparently that was what the group expected along with a desire to see a change to the single party line up of the council but they failed to find anyone to stand! We don't believe the group were acting under the radar on behalf of the LibDems or the Tories so it looks like the plan backfired somewhat. It is normal to expect that a candidate would be available before triggering an election.

When Sally received the confirmation of her candidacy it also gave the information on other candidates that would be standing. Looks like the LibDems have been caught on the back foot and have hastily selected an Earby resident to stand in the Coates Ward. The person in question qualifies for Barnoldswick Town Council, as although living in Earby she qualifies by having a business in Barlick. As far as we are aware she has never taken an interest in the council before and has not stood for co-option to fill previous vacancies. The LibDems would have to put a candidate up or else Sally would have been automatically elected as an unopposed and of course that can never be allowed.

All this happened after the LibDems put out their election broadsheet. I expect there will be more to follow.

Barnoldswick Town Council when it was a bit more politically balanced, this picture from 1996 or 97 in the old Town Hall on Jepp Hill

Five Labour members, Five Lib Dems and two Independents I think the make up was, also a very rare photo of David Whipp in a suit.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Question is will the public remember how to vote? They have had a year off.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Cameron appears to have written a long letter of apology for being guilty of breaking the 11th Commandment "Thou Shalt Not Be Found Out".

I suspect the FT were making the point to their other investor readers that one line of bankers having some kind of exclusive personal access was not fair, all bankers should have this.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner
Post by Big Kev » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:34 pm

For the fourth day in a row the UK has administered over 400,000 second jabs, latest figures show that of the 39,587,893 vaccinations administered in the UK so far, 32,121,353 were first doses and 7,466,540 were second doses. A record total of 475,230 second doses were administered on Saturday - along with 111,109 first doses. On Friday, 450,136 second doses and 106,878 first doses were received. The first dose figures were predicted to be lower throughout April but there looks to be ample for second doses.
There were 1,730 new infections recorded in the past 24 hours and a further seven deaths within 28 days of a positive test. That is the lowest daily death toll by this measure since 14 September 2020. However, there can be a lag in reporting coronavirus statistics during weekends. (Figures from the BBC)
The NHS are doing a grand job.
Kev
The Tories are doing a great job.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 03:21 Question is will the public remember how to vote? They have had a year off.
They didn't know before the year off! :biggrin2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 03:21 Question is will the public remember how to vote? They have had a year off.
I think the leading question is whether the electorate will actually turn out to vote. :extrawink:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

For people like me it's increasingly an exercise in keeping out the people I don't want. :sad:
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 15:23 For people like me it's increasingly an exercise in keeping out the people I don't want. :sad:
We used to have a like button for posts, pity its gone. Anyone want to see the list of candidates for mayor in london, either a sandwich short of a picnic , or their policies are.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report on Cameron.
"The government has announced a review covering David Cameron's efforts to lobby ministers on behalf of finance firm Greensill Capital. The former prime minister has been criticised for contacting ministers via text on behalf of the company, which collapsed in March. Downing Street said the probe would be led by lawyer Nigel Boardman on behalf of the Cabinet Office."
That sounds cosy..... :biggrin2: (Laura Juliet Kuenssberg doesn't think it will alter much either.)
Shirley Williams has died aged 90. A good woman I think (and she had a good mother...).
News is emerging of another company, this time American, that employs Cameron and they secured an NHS contract.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Greensill did get one contract under the emergency measures, no competing tendering, but it had nothing to to with Covid supplies so why emergency measure and not the normal procedure?

Something odd going on with Brexit and its affect on the UK economy. Almost daily we see charts on the Covid virus roll out and the numbers of people infected / hospitalised but not a single chart showing the disastrous effect on jobs and the overall economy. Just vague 'teething troubles' we expect bumps in the road but just watch it'll improve. We are watching. Where is the data. When is the Commons going to debate what's going on. Don't hold your breath.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I gradually become aware of pressure building. At the moment it's to do with glitches in the customs arrangements. Everyone is watching the end of lockdown and making guesses about the return of prosperity to the main street. I have grave doubts about that! As time goes on it will become more and more difficult to bury reality in events dear boy, Covid and the actions of others. So far this government has been incredibly lucky.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report on the Greensill affair. This isn't going away, the longer it goes on and the more people are implicated.
A cosy chat on the sofa at Downing Street is not going to cut it. We need a proper in depth enquiry with teeth!
Have a look at THIS.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”