POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

Too true Ken and in the medical world, something that MD in Private Eye has been banging on about for years. despite all the promises to protect informants they are routinely sidelined and suffer constructive dismissal.
In the present case involving Downing Street the whole shebang is run by the nest of vipers and God help anyone who raises objections to what is going on. In the case of Cummings he was part of the nest but now is outside the tent and we all know what people in that position do.
Eventually Johnson will learn that he doesn't actually qualify for a charmed life. The pigeons will come home to roost and that day might not be so far off. He seems to have forgotten the lesson the Supreme Court tried to teach him about abandoning Parliamentary procedures in the matter of prorogation.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 04:31 Eventually Johnson will learn that he doesn't actually qualify for a charmed life. The pigeons will come home to roost and that day might not be so far off.
I agree, and think it might be near. They're ruthless when they're cornered.
I heard it facetiously said yesterday, that Michael Gove is currently 'in the witness protection programme'. :smile:

Could that be connected? Actually I can't think of any of them that I'd prefer, and certainly not Gove.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David. The Rishi Project is still active though I think Number Ten has had a word and told him to cool it......
I agree about Gove.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Boris will survive. He is still riding high from saving us from the corona virus. Forget the work done by the NHS they were just hired hands working to his master plan. Get a pint of beer down peoples throats and a football match to watch and all will be forgotten. It won't be until the effect of Brexit kicks in with fewer jobs, less money to spend and high inflation will they realize the country is run by a bunch of clowns where self interest come first.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm afraid you're right Ken. Covid has been the best shield they could have on many fronts but sooner or later all will be revealed.
Did you see the report this morning that the government has ruled out any public enquiry of the handling of Covid until the pandemic is over because the witnesses are too busy, dealing with Covid... That's a cunning wheeze!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report that the funding of the refurbishment of the flat at No 11 is to be conducted by the Civil Service. I listened to Johnson blustering about this on R4 yesterday and noted two things, he didn't actually deny he had received private funding and I didn't detect one complete sentence in the clip I heard.
Later.... It is expected that PM Johnson may have to admit that he took a loan from the Conservative Party to pay for the flat. Evidence strengthens that the PM did say he would rather see thousands of bodies in the streets than impose a third lockdown and only changed his mind when he was told that armed soldiers would have to guard hospitals if the government didn't act.
Later still it emerges that Johnson is expected to invoke the pandemic as a reason why he shouldn't be the focus of politics. All available energy should go into the fight against Covid. Once again Covid as a smokescreen. One suspects that this will suit the Cabinet so expect 'nothing to see here'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 02:44 Evidence strengthens that the PM did say he would rather see thousands of bodies in the streets than impose a third lockdown and only changed his mind when he was told that armed soldiers would have to guard hospitals if the government didn't act.
Gove says he didn't hear Johnson make the 'body' comment which is not quite the same as saying he didn't make it. Johnson's main supporters are those who weren't there to hear it.
In his book Joe Biden, Promises to keep, relates a case where a candidate to be a supreme judge was rejected not because of his lack of knowledge of the law, he was acknowledged as the most qualified in this respect, but because of his lack of compassion in his judgements. If Johnson made these comments then there is a suspicion that he is promoting self interest rather than that of the country.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The anti Boris campaign is red hot today. Someone can smell blood.

Gove said -

Addressing the claim the prime minister made the remark about bodies piling high, he went on: “The idea he would say any such thing, I find incredible. I was in that room, I never heard language of that kind.”

Extract from "Weasel words for beginners" Lesson 1.

Peston's 'earwitnesses' heard it through an open door outside the room.

Lots of fun with Cummings' credibility. For what it's worth - having seen him described as a 'high functioning autistic savant' - recently I don't think he would say something that wasn't true. I keep thinking of the 'Rainman' stopping in mid road crossing because the sign said 'Don't Walk'. They are cut from the same cloth.

Anyway he wants badly to give testimony on oath before a Commons Committee, so all will be soon tested. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

In the local political forest, it is a matter of furore on Facebook that Cllr D. Whipp has been caught on camera removing an opposition (Tory) leaflet from an electors letterbox before posting his own LD leaflet. He has commented that he was trying to prevent it falling out and becoming litter.

Naughty, naughty, common postal theft. :surprised:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I read that too. The Barnoldswick Talk Police are all over it, a silly thing to do.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Not just silly Kev, it's illegal.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Will someone please keep an eye on my letterbox and remove any Tory mail that is delivered? Please? :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 19:06 Not just silly Kev, it's illegal.
Not 100% on the legality but certainly not the right thing to do. A Lib Dem Councillor was caught on CCTV doing the same thing in May 2019, there was an investigation and the police were involved at the time but he's still a St Helen's councillor...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A meaty article by Jon Sopel and well worth reading if you've got any interest in the USA (which everyone of us should have because what happens there in the next few years will be critical worldwide)...
`Biden 100 days: What we all got wrong about him' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 07:05
PanBiker wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 19:06 Not just silly Kev, it's illegal.
Not 100% on the legality but certainly not the right thing to do. A Lib Dem Councillor was caught on CCTV doing the same thing in May 2019, there was an investigation and the police were involved at the time but he's still a St Helen's councillor...
Petty though it may be it is still a criminal act, the CCTV footage has been passed to the police I believe. They will likely take no action other than a caution or something along the same lines.

Forgive me for gloating but I can't forget the "biscuit gate" fiasco from a couple of years ago instigated by the LD's without any basis in law for complaint.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Quality stuff this! Makes 'Cash for Cushions and Curtains ' look trivial.

I've applied to join the Facebook group - get my gossip first hand then. Application pending. :laugh5:
Last edited by Tripps on 28 Apr 2021, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, the admin of the page took the main post down last night in the interests of "Facebook Community Standards". Collateral posts now appearing.

I hasten to add that local Labour Party members have not been sticking the boot in, Tories are doing a fine job themselves.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The original Facebook post is still there along with the 500 plus comments. The post is now locked now.

Removing other party's leaflets looks to be fairly common, getting caught not so...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I now discover that there are in fact two local Facebook sites -

1. Barnoldswick Talk and 2. Barlick Talk.

I seem to have applied to No.1. Do I need to join both, and why the need for two - any advice?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 11:58 I now discover that there are in fact two local Facebook sites -

1. Barnoldswick Talk and 2. Barlick Talk.

I seem to have applied to No.1. Do I need to join both, and why the need for two - any advice?
I believe 1. Barnoldswick Talk was the 'original' and 2. Barlick Talk was set up in response to perceived censorship. I only follow number 1 as I've never personally had anything censored. You're not really missing much, it's just a collection of opinions with the odd bit of useful information thrown in for good measure.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Big Kev wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:07 t's just a collection of opinions with the odd bit of useful information thrown in for good measure.
Thanks for the advice. Much like on here then. :smile:

I'll stick at 1.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Aye and to show how particular Barlick folk can be there is also a FB page for those that didn't like No 2 which is called Barlick Talk About What You Want. It's getting more like Royston Vasey everyday. :extrawink: :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll continue to get the gossip secondhand, I found I could live without Facebook.
Peter, I think I heard Jon Sopel on R4 saying much the same thing but a more compete story in the article. I am getting that sense, that he isn't letting a good crisis go to waste. I like what he is doing and wish him well and yes, there is a touch of FDR about it and Lyndon Johnson too.
Meanwhile. in Parliament, all I can say at the moment is that these are interesting times and nobody is off the hook!
What's puzzling me is the fact that Arlene Foster is stepping down. I thought she was another Nicola Sturgeon but I have evidently missed something.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Boris Johnson is sailing very close to the wind with his answers in parliament. Keir Starmer asked Boris did he say the statements attributed to him. Yes or No.
Boris's answer, really a typical an avoidance answer, was to say "who made these statements?". The question was clear in asking 'did he make the statements' Boris was aware that if he said 'NO' he would be in contempt of parliament and if it was proved he lied he would have to resign. So in its own way avoiding saying NO is equivalent to saying YES,
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Well - the Facebook group don't seem to want me. After two days of 'application pending' That's vanished and I'm back to square one.

I think I'll try for the Freemasons - it's probably easier. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”