POLITICS CORNER

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by PanBiker »

I'll check for you.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

New members of the group are being processed but I cant see you in the list.If you "friend" me on FB I can invite you. You will still need to be OK'd by the Camp Commandant, sorry Admin but you would be one more step alonng the highway. :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for the kind offer Ian, but I'll pass. The moment has passed. I'll revert to type and stay alone. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And even if they had accepted you David I can well imagine you taking the Marx line.... "I refuse to join if they will accept me as a member".
Ken, dead right about Johnson, I thought exactly the same thing.
Remember THIS, the inquiry into Priti Patel and bullying and the resignation of Sir Alex Allan, Whitehall’s independent adviser on ministerial standards when Johnson ignored his findings? The post has been vacant since then but has now been filled. I wonder if the new incumbent made it clear that if he too was overruled he would resign?
This isn't going away and begins to look serious. The Cummings intervention could be a big component.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Pressure is mounting that the Brexit trade deal was not quite as promised with some sectors saying they have been misled. Surprise , surprise, Link. the food industry is finding that exporting to the EU comes with difficulties that may even bankrupt some of the smaller firms. All these NEW rules are totally unacceptable. Nobody told them that these NEW rules are actually old rules that the UK helped to draught. They apply to all Third Countries outside the EU market. We are no longer dealing with a single market but 26 different markets each with its own rules just as we had our own rules when we were inside dealing with outside third countries. Good old Boris Johnson is very good at being economical with the truth.
The UK is now pushing for a new trade deal with Australia. Note, we already have a trade deal which is a copy and paste deal that we had with them before we left the EU. The question is why should Australia rush into another deal unless its severely to their advantage?
Even the wallpaper is pealing from no 10's walls its time for Boris and the Tories to go.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Remember this guy?

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 09:03
Big Kev wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 07:05
PanBiker wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 19:06 Not just silly Kev, it's illegal.
Not 100% on the legality but certainly not the right thing to do. A Lib Dem Councillor was caught on CCTV doing the same thing in May 2019, there was an investigation and the police were involved at the time but he's still a St Helen's councillor...
Petty though it may be it is still a criminal act, the CCTV footage has been passed to the police I believe. They will likely take no action other than a caution or something along the same lines.

Forgive me for gloating but I can't forget the "biscuit gate" fiasco from a couple of years ago instigated by the LD's without any basis in law for complaint.
The police are taking no further action...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, we saw David and Tom yesterday while we out delivering, Tom said he had seen our leaflet and said Sally was mistaken in claiming that she had made suggestions to the allotment debate. Sally had to point out that she applied to talk at the meeting and was accepted and did speak on the matter. Tom was actually chairing the meeting at the time. :sad:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just realised that next Thursday is polling day. I shall be there early doors.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Remember to take your own pen or writing instrument. The security waxed pencils on the strings are not available. :extrawink:

Seriously, I wonder how many will be turned away due to this change. It's noted on your polling card but how many people read them? The other change is that some folks polling places have changed due to the new boundary regime, again noted on the polling card.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes, I think it would have been better if those instructions had been printed more boldly. I had noted it and will be taking a carpenter's pencil to make sure my marks are bold and legible!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report that in future attendance as a witness at some Parliamentary Select committees will no longer be voluntary but made mandatory.
I'd be all in favour of this, Parliament is of course still one of the highest courts in the land.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for the latest Pie in the Sky trade deal which is going to save 6,000 jobs. Really? Will someone let me know when this has actually happened?
Johnson has led a charmed life sheltering behind Covid but nearer and nearer draws the time when the full disaster of Brexit will overwhelm him and his government. Then God help us, who have we got to lead the fight back?
Answers on a post card please.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The trade deal is being put over as something resulting from Brexit. But we were encouraging foreign businesses to invest here while we were in the EU. It was the Brexiteers who were then objecting to other nations `taking over our companies' and `buying up' Britain, and wanting to keep out immigrants (I think Boris is having to agree to allow more Indians to come to the UK as part of the deal.)
------------------------------------------------------

In yesterday's Telegraph - I don't have access to the full article but the title's enough. It could prove interesting!
`MI6 spy Christopher Steele 'produced second dossier on Donald Trump for FBI': The dossier is believed to be raw intelligence that makes claims of Russian meddling and sex tapes'
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

David Whipp's action has been picked up by the Guido Fawkes website, and will now be national. I find Guido more immediate than Private Eye, which has surely passed its 'sell by' date. Is it too late for them to go digital?

Flyergate

Hard to claim mistaken identity I'd say bang to rights. :laugh5:

Same site says Labour are 'treating' in the West Yorkshire mayoral election by distributing chocolate brownies. Isn't it nice to be part of a system where such matters are deemed important, and become headline news. :smile:

PS1 - Noticed Whipp has a small pony tail. . . .
PS2 Police advised ref Tracy Brabin (Labour) brownie treating. Deflection tactics for the wallpaper?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They used to do it so much better in Rochdale. I remember a Labour Councillor encountering a Lib Dem canvasser at one of his supporter's addresses so he punched him on the nose and made his pitch for re-election. (He was re-elected.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report that Tracy Brabin MP was within her rights giving brownies to canvassers. Phew, that was a close one!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Shades of biscuit gate in Barlick, all filibustering and mischief making to get a headline or 5 seconds of notoriety. All publicity in some folks eyes. Bloody waste of time as far as I am concerned.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

And more mischief making across the pond from you know who. He's planning a new social media platform and we can imagine how much damage that's going to do around the world, not just in America...
`Donald Trump returns to social media with glorified blog: Ex-president unveils retro webpage featuring series of statements resembling blogposts ahead of Facebook oversight board’s decision on his suspension' Guardian
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Peter, from what I heard this morning on World Service the most likely outcome is that Trump will get his twitter account back and start using it to further his plans to get back into politics as the Big Cheese. I agree with you, we can get on better without him.
You could well be right Ian. I have my Venus Black Magic pencil ready for tomorrow morning! (I looked on Tinternetwebthingy and find it is a 'vintage' pencil and examples are available on Ebay at ridiculous prices. Who'd 'ave thowt it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see that Trump has launched his own website and that Facebook and Twitter have not altered his status. (LINK)
Today we can exercise our democratic right to vote. I wonder how many will vote basing their choice on basic politics and how many will be swayed by other factors.
HERE'S Laura's view of the piste. I think she's right in that after two years this is an important set of contests. Unfortunately, as I intimated above, it will not be decided on basic politics in England although I suspect Scotland will be a more representative set of results.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see Johnson says there is an urgent need to de-escalate the Jersey fishing dispute. Quite right but then he sends the gunboats in. Brilliant!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

When the French get their backs up against something they take action. Strikes and blockades. I other words they do something to bring it to attention. What do our fishermen do? They lobby the very people that got them into the mess in the first place. Fat lot of good that will do.
Leave Johnson alone. We know he is a clown but he's OUR clown.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Been to vote and contra to the information supplied the pencils on strings were still present. :smile: Three ballot papers completed and job done until the next time.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Pencils were on strings at Foulridge too, other pencils were available and were cleaned after use. We took our own :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”