PUBLIC SERVICE CUTS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: PUBLIC SERVICE CUTS

Post by Stanley » 20 Jul 2019, 05:28

I applaud the news of the pay rises for essential public service personnel but deplore the fact that it has to come out of existing budgets. This is madness and storing up even more problems for the future.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer » 21 Jul 2019, 08:32

`Labour wants to end outsourcing of council services' LINK
I'm behind them all the way on this. I've had too many experiences of problems due to the subcontracting of council services. The latest, though relatively minor, is the long waiting time to get our new sticker for the green garden waste wheelie bin. We let the subscription lapse when we moved here because the garden was being landscaped and we didn't need it. Now we're getting waste again so we paid online on the council web page to start it again. The men won't collect until we have the new sticker on the bin. We waited...and waited...and missed a collection due to lack of sticker. I phoned the council and they said it takes at least 10 working days for the sticker to be sent out. I pointed out that I can subscribe in 5 minutes on their web site so it's ludicrous to then have to wait for two weeks.. Reply: `Oh but the payment has to be processed'. Me: `It's validated immediately by the card company when I place the order.' Council: `But we have to send it to the company that deals with waste collections'. Me: `It's paid for when I pressed the Payment button on your web site; all you have to do is forward my address details to the company and they could print and send out the sticker on the same day. Council: Oh no, they can't do that. At that point I gave up and made a cup of tea! :smile:

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 22 Jul 2019, 03:34

Couldn't agree more Tiz. Worth remembering it was Sir Keith Joseph and his hypnotic influence on M Thatcher that kicked the outsourcing and privatisation bug off. It was his obsession with Hayek and Friedman that drove his beliefs. Reagan fell for it as well. This what led to deregulation of financial services and 2008 and yet the establishment still leans towards it. It looked like a quick easy fix and more profits for the lobbyists. In consequence we lost control of the Commanding Heights of the economy. Fill in the dots......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 24 Jul 2019, 06:07

See THIS BBC account of the latest report into Feltham Young Offenders Prison. Brexit has meant that matters like this have not had priority, the faults have been obvious for many years. Add to this cuts to funding and we have reached the stage where the Inspector has had to use the strongest sanctions open to him. All right, these are very challenging youngsters but legally they are still children and this matter must be addressed immediately. How much priority will it have with a new Justice Minister?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 28 Jul 2019, 06:17

Couldn't find the report on BBC but see THIS Nottingham News report which is basically the same message about a 20% rise in food parcels during summer holidays, this in the last year.
This is where action is needed Mr Johnson, hungry children.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 31 Jul 2019, 05:33

The Parliamentary Home Affairs Committee has demanded that Johnson take personal responsibility for the shocking increase in violence involving young children. Cuts leading to less youth services are one of the reasons cited for the deterioration. (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 05 Nov 2019, 06:53

See THIS BBC report that gives definitive proof of the failure of the Tory 2014 government promise to build 200,000 "starter homes" for people under the age of 40, sold at a 20% discount. Not a single one has been built.
Labour says ministers have wasted years and millions of pounds. But the government says it has a "great track record" on housing and has delivered more than 430,000 affordable homes since 2010. I leave it to you to make up your own minds. I think it is a disgrace and a blot on our society.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion » 05 Nov 2019, 23:35

There was some critism of Starter Homes as being of a smaller than present minimum standards of size, i think developers found what was most profitable was to stick with the help to buy scheme ones. We have a small project that if it comes to fruition may have funding for starter homes as it is an ackward multi-use site and its the only way to fit what is basically a couple of bed-sits into.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”