ENERGY MATTERS

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: ENERGY MATTERS

Post by Whyperion »

Didn't the last insulation company national (Mark Insulations ?) Go Broke as work dried up. I am still not sure that politicians actually know that most older houses are stone or one and half brick thick walls or an assortment of 'Cornish' construction and similar poured or panelled concrete, not easy to insulate properly. most damp and cold losses occur through basic incorrect broken or damaged guttering and/or pointing requiring proper renewal where failed. However i do think the acquistion of older blocks and houses by local authorities and funding to bring up to a good modern standard should be encouraged as part of a spend programme to bring about employment measures.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very true Tiz and I have seen the same faults myself.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Colin reports that our solar panels have produced 1650 kWh of energy over the last 3 month period, second best ever.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Well done, Wendy. I'm hoping that during this next week we might break the 30 kWh/day barrier due to a forecast of blue skies and the long days. In previous years we've just fallen short - very frustrating! Unfortunately those clear days are also forecast to be hot so that will hold us back. Never mind it's almost time for a cup of tea and cake! :biggrin2:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

While running the vent pipe, for the kitchen extractor, up into the vent on the ridge I discovered there was no insulation at all in the kitchen roof. Fortunately it's only a small kitchen, the addition of just 100mm of insulation has made a difference. There's now no noticeable temperature difference between kitchen and dining room.
20200616_135914.jpg
20200616_143235.jpg
20200617_132913.jpg
A little bit of filler and a new coat of paint will make all the difference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No cake! Should be a tidy tax free sum arriving in the bank account shortly.....
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Nice one Kev.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 15:49 Well done, Wendy. I'm hoping that during this next week we might break the 30 kWh/day barrier due to a forecast of blue skies and the long days. In previous years we've just fallen short - very frustrating! Unfortunately those clear days are also forecast to be hot so that will hold us back. Never mind it's almost time for a cup of tea and cake! :biggrin2:
Long sunny days in England tend to be hot. Come along in the summer, funny that
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 15:55Nice one Kev.
:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When the Sparks came to put my shed lights in he saw the access trap in the ceiling and said he would put the wiring up there. I told him not to bother and surface wire them as when I finished insulting the cock loft when I moved in here I used all the glass fibre I had left over the shed and it's rammed full!
I see that the bid to build a tidal barrage at Swansea is being mooted again. When I first heard of it I was all in favour and then Private Eye took an interest and revealed many very doubtful facts about the bid, not only in Swansea but in opening a quarry across the Bristol channel to supply stone for the project. I changed my mind, too many question marks and that was why despite getting preliminary approval the project was eventually ditched.
Now, with the prospect of government funded projects to get the economy going again, it is being hyped again. We shall see what transpires!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 15:52 While running the vent pipe, for the kitchen extractor, up into the vent on the ridge I discovered there was no insulation at all in the kitchen roof. Fortunately it's only a small kitchen, the addition of just 100mm of insulation has made a difference. There's now no noticeable temperature difference between kitchen and dining room.
20200616_135914.jpg

20200616_143235.jpg

20200617_132913.jpg

A little bit of filler and a new coat of paint will make all the difference.
Just for closure, here it is with a coat of paint :-)
20200623_172139.jpg
This is the other end. I'm slowly coming to terms with, what is possibly, the world's smallest kitchen :-)
20200624_094748.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very tidy. Makes me survey my kitchen walls and wonder. Then I reject the idea of buying Mongolia emulsion. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Nothing to do with energy except on a personal level. Noting Kev's insulation discovery our drain in the shower cubical started showing signs of being blocked but because of its age of installation, possibly 40 years, there was no obvious direct access to the drain trap. Bits of hooked wire cleared the immediate trap but left a partial blockage in the pipework. No alternative but the dismantle the outside pipes and rod the obstruction out plus copious amounts of water into the shower basin. One of those nasty jobs I could do without. Sometimes old houses can be a bit of a pain.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 07:29 Nothing to do with energy except on a personal level. Noting Kev's insulation discovery our drain in the shower cubical started showing signs of being blocked but because of its age of installation, possibly 40 years, there was no obvious direct access to the drain trap. Bits of hooked wire cleared the immediate trap but left a partial blockage in the pipework. No alternative but the dismantle the outside pipes and rod the obstruction out plus copious amounts of water into the shower basin. One of those nasty jobs I could do without. Sometimes old houses can be a bit of a pain.
I still have a plunger in the tool box for that same reason.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Harold Duxbury once told me he used to have a man on the staff who was regarded as the expert on blockages in long drop tippler toilets. His secret weapon was a mop on a very long stail.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS is worth noting especially for our Aussie friends.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Is it accurate to regard the recent hot weather as an extreme event?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 05:20 Is it accurate to regard the recent hot weather as an extreme event?
Not sure abut that at the moment as it is Summer. However, out of season warmth which we had a lot earlier in the year may be more of an indicator. Yo yo weather events also not really in keeping with a stable climate and we do seem to be getting a lot more of those.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Swansea tidal energy: Hopes of backing for Dragon Island plan' LINK
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 08:59
Stanley wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 05:20 Is it accurate to regard the recent hot weather as an extreme event?
Not sure abut that at the moment as it is Summer. However, out of season warmth which we had a lot earlier in the year may be more of an indicator. Yo yo weather events also not really in keeping with a stable climate and we do seem to be getting a lot more of those.
Hotter May, Wetter June, often caused by the Jet Stream lags , but the extremes in the UK are more so elsewhere north , east and south, so some regular pattern over a rising background,
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I note the CH was on very low yesterday. Just aired the radiators.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Is the hydrogen tech 'revolution' hope or hype?' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

God knows and he isn't telling. So much of the 'news' we get these days is suspect because people have their own irons in the fire.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I learned of the existence of Octopus Energy from a mention by the broadcaster and blogger Iain Dale.

I get his weekly update mail every Sunday afternoon, in which he invites readers to ask him a question. Yesterday - quite out of character for me - I asked him if he was still using Octopus, and was he satisfied with them. I didn't expect a reply - just possible inclusion into next week's email.

Very surprised to get a personal email from him timed at 06.33 am this morning. Says he still uses them, and they're fantastic ! :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If you are thinking of moving to Octopus. We can both make £50 if you use this link to sign up:

https://share.octopus.energy/young-ibis-685

I have been with Octopus for a few years now, still the best supplier as voted by Which. Can't fault them myself either.

Anyone else who wants to use the link feel free. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”