MEDICAL MATTERS

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by PanBiker »

It's more common than you would imagine. When I first started invigilating up at school, it amazed me how many students need to have different shades of exam papers in order to see the type on the page. Having seen two year 11 groups now it averages at about 10 to 12 individuals each year which is nearly 10% of the cohort. Most require papers in the red and blue spectrum although we do have some over into green and yellow. Some of the shades required are quite subtle as well. This year we produce papers in Light Blue, Blue and Peacock Blue, Pink, Salmon, Magenta, Yellow, Green and Kingfisher Green
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It makes you wonder how they get on in life generally, how they use screens and read books. Can spectacle lenses correct for colour blindness?

I hope Pluggy is getting treated well at Airedale and is on the mend.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Some students use small plastic colour filters that can be placed on the page, these can be a little bit awkward if for instance there is a multi page exam answer booklet and a separate data sheet that you need to toggle between. In the main, we print up the required number of papers, (and additional data sheets if required) each morning in the correct colour for each student.

Good question about the spectacle lenses, some of our students that require coloured papers do wear glasses but not all so I would say no, not in my experience anyaway.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Ian, will the coloured papers be for children with dyslexia rather than colour blindness? I believe it helps with reading.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Both my sons have 'colour perception' issues. There are I believe some rare exceptions, but girls are rarely colour blind. The mechanism is that male children of a woman whose father had the problem will also have the problem. The children of sons of the same man do not. Thus any male children of my granddaughters will have it.

They have both overcome or found workarounds for the situation. They both really hated it when other children said - 'what colour do you see this as then?' I am very pleased that modern schools take it into account - I never saw any example of that during their education. It was never even mentioned at any parents' evening.

I do remember a Daily Express 'miracle cure' type story, but after speaking to an optician decided it was just tinted lenses at great expense, and since they were both coping well, I didn't bother.

The younger one didn't last long as a seasonal tomato picker in Australia. Knowing red from green is quite important there. :smile: The older one got a good degree in Geology which in the circumstances I'd say is a big achievement.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My one liner has sparked off quite a discussion :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 09:59 It makes you wonder how they get on in life generally, how they use screens and read books. Can spectacle lenses correct for colour blindness?

I hope Pluggy is getting treated well at Airedale and is on the mend.
Indeed Kev. That's the joy of this site - we never know where we will be going tomorrow, and all in a very civilised manner. Pity about the disappearing photos though. Perhaps we should post them in the cloud with an openable link. Better than no photos I'd say. A picture certainly say a thousand words especially in 'Shed Matter'. :smile:

Having seen Wendy's post I think perhaps (as always) she has the answer to the coloured paper situation.

Tizer - I think I've answered your questions from personal experience. It 's not really a problem but perhaps it's best to let your wife choose your ties, and the curtains. :smile:

Now seriously what's up with Pluggy? Have I missed something? Nothing serious I trust.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Wendyf wrote: 01 Mar 2017, 13:54 Ian, will the coloured papers be for children with dyslexia rather than colour blindness? I believe it helps with reading.
I don't know Wendy, as invigilators we are not party to any underlying condition that students may have, It's not stated on our notes, there are odd exceptions to this though.
The inclusion information goes as far as who needs a coloured paper, anyone who has been awarded extra time (and how much, expressed as a percentage), individuals that may need help with reading, comprehension or prompting, and of course anyone who may have more serious medical issues that we need to be aware of.

With regard to Stephen, the last that he posted was that he was waiting for test results.

I got my appointment through today for the Musculoskeletal department at Nelson Community Hospital for an initial assessment. It's for next Tuesday, if the problem turns out to need physiotherapy, they normally pass you back to our surgery, we have a department at the surgery but independent of the practice reception, you deal directly with the physiotherapists in attendance.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Didn't it Kev. Worth it just for Tripp's story about tomato picking!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps, Pluggy was having some sort of stomach upset and went to have tests. I imagine he's a conscientious chap and he's probably stressed out by the problem with the OG software.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Tizer wrote: 02 Mar 2017, 12:35 Tripps, Pluggy was having some sort of stomach upset and went to have tests. I imagine he's a conscientious chap and he's probably stressed out by the problem with the OG software.

I'm beginning to wonder. The medical profession haven' t found anything yet. Blood tests ,X ray and an ultrasound haven't don't show any particular problems. The pain continues but I'm on painkillers. Awaiting the next exciting installment with the docs.....
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Are you back home Stephen or still in Airedale?
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I wonder if the docs have eliminated food poisoning? Some food poisoning bacteria such as Clostridia can cause very painful stomach cramps.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Still in Airedale.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're in the right place Stephen. I hope Tiz is right and it's something like food poisoning rather than anything chronic. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I'm out of Airedale, I was released last night. They are going to continue with me as an outpatient. The tests in hospital revealed nothing untoward. Its not gallstones, definitely not food poisoning unless theres a variety that leaves the guts in normal working order. After what tiz said yesterday about being stressed out, I'm convinced its stress related. I've had quite a few stresses apart from OGFB, although I have to say OGFB has probably been the worst. I bent the car last friday,I've had issues with my home control system, I was given a hard time at a trustees meeting on Monday. I have to say the pain went up a notch when I decided to come on here. At the moment its in that grey area between discomfort and pain. I haven't taken any painkillers to see what its like without. I've been kept fairly dosed up whilst in hospital.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There's very close communication between the brain and the gut and it works both ways. Mental stress will upset the gut via the nervous system and hormone system; gut malfunction will do this in the opposite direction, as well as compromising the supply to the brain of energy and nutrients in blood. Mental stress often causes stomach or duodenal ulcers by raising the production of acid in the gut.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Good to hear you're home again. Hope you are feeling better soon.

" I've had quite a few stresses apart from OGFB, although I have to say OGFB has probably been the worst."

That will never do - stop it immediately. :smile:

The photo issue seems to have been sorted - just attach them to the thread seems to be a simpler method. I'll try it myself later. That will be the test.

I did some research last August - counted the number of people who posted. Total was about 40 individuals. A quick look back shows that 12 of them have never posted since, and 6 would fall into the category of valued longstanding members who now only rarely post. So there is a hard core of just over twenty regular addicts. There are of course people who arrive via google but few seem to stay.

I think my point is that it is not important enough to get ill over. So the smilies don't wink - I can live with that. You're a bit of a hero of mine - and are quoted many times in my conversations. I actually went to the Dacia dealer last month to check out the Sandero. :smile:

Here's another quote which I've sometimes found helpful - from two guys digging a hole in the pavement in Wigan along time ago

'Doesnt it get you down' . 'Aye if you let it' :smile:

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tripps wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 13:38 I did some research last August - counted the number of people who posted. Total was about 40 individuals. A quick look back shows that 12 of them have never posted since, and 6 would fall into the category of valued longstanding members who now only rarely post. So there is a hard core of just over twenty regular addicts.
Not everyone has time to post messages, but they still enjoy reading OGFB and surely they're welcome?

I've been unable to post since the site problems, not sure if it was the notoriously slow international connections from China, so this is a test.

Added: Yippee, it worked. All the best for a speedy recovery Stephen.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree with you about active members David but apart from things like the LTP and people quoting us as references in papers there are many regulars who are not registered and some members who read regularly but rarely post. I agree with you about the new configuration, it is working and we can post pics. All we need from Mark is the donate button! So don't stress Pluggy or at least not about the site. As for the car, these things happen..... Hope you soon start to climb out of the hole!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I like Tripps's comment: 'Doesnt it get you down' . 'Aye if you let it' and I would add Maz's comment some time ago: `Don't beat yourself up about it'.

On a different matter, there is a news report today about the big increase in children suffering from lack of sleep and the cause is said to be the effect of using screens so much of the time. I've heard before about the effects of blue light from screens but have some question about it. I searched for more information online but couldn't find good enough answers. Are TV screens as bad as computer and smartphone screens for emitting blue light? Many articles say that LED bulbs are another source of blue light, but do they mean the bulbs described as blue or do they include those described as emitting yellow? I have difficulty getting back to sleep in the middle of the night and it coincides with our switch to LED bulbs but all our bulbs are `soft yellow'. Of course it might be just another effect of old age but lack of sleep is a nuisance and it interferes with normal life.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I don't post or read many topics as I used to say and still think there are mainly male topics.
Well the world is a brighter place I had the laser treatment on my eyes yesterday and are back to perfection.
Say only a little but say it well.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Great news Moh. :grin:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent news Moh :mexwave:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I suppose it's like someone has switched the lights on for you, Moh. I'm glad I got new hearing aids, that's like someone not only switched up the volume but made everything clearer and easier to understand. :smile:

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”