MEDICAL MATTERS

chinatyke
Donor

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 10:35 We are about 45 mins out from bed. I keep watching the clock because I need to get there and get into that foetal position with the legs drawn up to ease the pain. I try to do that now without any painkillers, because we all know that is the better course for our health. ( I have Paracetamol on standby )
Maz, sometimes you have to treat the symptoms whilst the body heals itself. Take a couple of paracetomol and have a good night's sleep.

I'm very much like you and avoid taking pain killers but when they are necessary I take them. Night night.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Had to take the Paracetamol about 2 hours after going to bed, but feel so much better again this morning. I am in take-it-easy mode today, just some Ancestry, a walk and ignoring the weeds. It was jolly cold this morning and we had frost on the lawns.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck Maz. I know the feeling, I used to buy Aspirin and Ibuprofen in industrial quantities. Thankfully, as Arthur once told me God has cured me and now I never touch them. I hope you reach that stage quicker than I did!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Grrrrr...another in-grown toenail flare up. I have soaked in Epsom Salts, applied Betadine and a large bandaid after trimming as much as I could stand. Very sore. A bit of a bummer as we have a busy weekend.
I am sure it will resolve with careful handling.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

A couple of years ago I suffered a big toe fungal infection. The nail finished up the thickness of a doorstep and looked like becoming completely detached at any minute, Tablets from the doctors with a possible side affect 'death' charming! Visit to podiatry and with their tinsnip clippers and hand grinder rotary tool pared it down taking off all those sharp corners that we told to leave. It worked.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Sometimes after doing all the cutting etc, if you cut a V in the centre of the nail arc, it can help relieve the pressure too.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My problem started with a tender lump more than half way down the side of the nail. The toenail and it’s trimmed top looks perfect. Often you know you have an in-grown toenail if you tap the corner rim of your nail, creating a force down the side of the nail bed, because it will create pain. I didn’t feel a thing when I tested it that way, yet there was a tender lump.
So I haven’t stuck it with the carving knife, but am soaking and applying Iodine. ( I have squeezed - nothing coming out).
So sorry if you are eating breakfast...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was struck by what Phil Hammond said about the error in trying to fight fatigue and accepting the new norm and waiting for slow improvement in his video. That is something that has been on my mind for a while, not in terms of fatigue (I've always been good at managing that, if I am tired I stop doing whatever is causing it) but in terms of my dodgy knee. I've cut down slightly on my early morning walk and had an immediate improvement in terms of how long I can stand in the shed. reality has to be recognised and my knee was giving me a clear message, after 85 years of use there is bound to be a bit of wear. I have no problems with making my mornings easier!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The postman uses our garden as a shortcut to next door, with our permission, Invariably I'm out in the garden beavering away. One hot day he said " don't you find it too hot for digging?" Me "Oh I never sweat", Him,"don't you?" Me " If I think I'm going to sweat I stop work".
A friend who had knee problems once said " my problem is that I've 13 stone on 9 stone knees". This could be the case with most people.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That is undoubtedly true Ken and has been on my mind of late but my diet agrees with the rest of me! I may have slowed down a bit but at my age that's natural but (touches wood!) I have never been so pain-free in my life. Thoughts like 'rocking the boat' spring to mind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Susan called in yesterday on her way home from her shift at the care home. We were talking about face masks interfering with our unconscious lip reading as we listen to people and how important it is. She told me about one of her colleagues at work having found that her hearing loss was worse than she thought and in consequence has had to get hearing aids fitted. Now she realises how bad her hearing was and is delighted with the results. I suspect I am the same....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Lip reading definitely applies to me. Pardon is becoming my most used word. Down to zero in one ear and 40% loss in the other makes for a quiet life.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Is that lack of hearing aids or too much ear wax, Plaques?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 09:23 or too much ear wax,
I turned off my ad blocker for a while to access a particular site. I never knew that ear wax was such a problem or that there were so many remedies available. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Ear wax is no problem, its just the connection to what's inside that's the problem. Don't say it I know what's coming. My ears are still useful though they hold my glasses up and stop my hat falling over my eyes now I can put the elastic behind them to hold my mask in place. Talk about forward planning isn't evolution marvelous? :laugh5:
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

plaques wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 20:40 Ear wax is no problem, its just the connection to what's inside that's the problem. Don't say it I know what's coming. My ears are still useful though they hold my glasses up and stop my hat falling over my eyes now I can put the elastic behind them to hold my mask in place. Talk about forward planning isn't evolution marvelous? :laugh5:
I note advice is for masks, behind the ears, or ties behind the head (presumably for folk with ear sensitivities, or lack of lugs to hang on to).
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 18:35
Tizer wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 09:23 or too much ear wax,
I turned off my ad blocker for a while to access a particular site. I never knew that ear wax was such a problem or that there were so many remedies available. :smile:
Does the computer algorithims read the speaker settings on your machine ? If so its because (some YTs) are not very loud - often those showing another vid, which is even quieter OR VERY LOUD then you have to fiddle with settings- or because your laptop is actually 3ft away at the end of your arms and the speakers are rubbish in the machine !!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 20:40 Ear wax is no problem, its just the connection to what's inside that's the problem. Don't say it I know what's coming. My ears are still useful though they hold my glasses up and stop my hat falling over my eyes now I can put the elastic behind them to hold my mask in place. Talk about forward planning isn't evolution marvelous? :laugh5:
Haha, you should have posted that in the jokes thread! But seriously I'm sorry to hear you have those problems. I've put some Otex drops in my ears this morning but then I have to be careful it doesn't get into the hearing aid tubes. The young don't realise how much excitement you get as you grow old! :extrawink:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

'They' say don't put anything in your ear except your elbow. Good advice. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As David would say SPOOKY. Over the last few days my ears have suddenly gone into ear wax production overdrive. Out with the Earex!
I'm on one of my forays into unmentionable subjects again. Understandably bladders are never far from my mind. One of the things I have learned is that we are remarkably inefficient in emptying them. This stems from evolution, we were originally designed to be on all fours but as Homo Erectus evolved the bladder fell behind. The result is what the doctors call teapot syndrome, because the bladder isn't tilted far enough forward it doesn't empty efficiently.
I'm not advocating peeing on all fours but I have found that some attitudes are more conducive to urinating than others. It's not wasting time to take notice of what these are and wherever possible adopt them.
A friend of mine had this symptom to a greater degree than most and it led to a succession of UTIs made worse by the fact he is allergic to antibiotics. It was his experience that first made me aware of the 'teapot syndrome'. Take note and give it some thought.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's more SPOOKY than you think...my ears, too, have suddenly given me a wax problem again. I've had little trouble for the last 6 months or so and then suddenly ...muffled. The wax gets into the hearing aid tubes and they have to cleaned out with the provided implement.

We've all heard the news today about obesity being confirmed as contributing to covid-19 deaths. I heard one of the radio presenters this morning say that the British population is 30% obese and 60% overweight. Good grief, are only 10% of us `normal' weight? No, he's got it wrong and is propagating misinformation. He should have said 30% in the overweight category and 30% in the obese category , which means 40% are `normal' or `healthy' weight (which, of course, is still very low compared with the past).
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Under normal circumstances I never concern myself with what others weigh unless they step on my toe but now I'm in the covid age related target zone these people who through over indulgence may be taking my hospital spot. Can't have that can we? Doing a Trump by not counting or raising the weight thresholds could improve the numbers game but I don't think this virus will take any notice of such niceties. If the anti-obesity programme works I think we are going to see a lot more empty skin walking about.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not sure if you can alter people's predilections by legislation. If my memory serves me correctly there ware fat people in the war under strict rationing. How does altering food labels help?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Apparently Boris is going to make bicycles available on prescription so that doctors have another tool in the fight! These are going to be used on the thousands of miles of cycle lanes that we don't have. He has though of that as well though and is going to build loads more. Right, he would be much better banning the "Just Eat" ethos and making domestic science and household accounting mandatory on the curriculum.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can imagine the reaction of overloaded doctors all over the country when they heard that news! I wonder if anyone actually asked them?
The 'nudge' mentality seems to be driving number 10. I heard an interesting discussion of R4 about it last night. 'Proper scientists' point out that there is very little hard science and evidence involved in most 'behavioural studies'. Immediate cries of horror from those involved in what could turn out to be a very lucrative scam for some.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”