MEDICAL MATTERS

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 12:48 bio-warfare. A bit pointless unless you have a vaccine or antidote.
Not if your a terrorist whose alternative is blowing yourself up!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's getting 'interesting' now. There is talk that the incubation period may be as long as 28 days in some people. Four of the people who were flown in to UK just yesterday from the cruise ship off Yokohama - having been in a sort of quarantine on the ship for two weeks, and not being symptomatic on departure - have now tested positive for the virus. Presumably the test was done on arrival and the results are now available.

No - Sky News now say the tests were done in Japan and they were allowed to depart before the results were in !!

Now what? Where does that leave the other passengers and the aircrew who presumably breathed their shared air on the long flight over. Not to mention the coach drivers who had no protective kit at all.

An American professor of virology from Nashville TN says on LBC - "the virus is the teacher - we are the learners" I think he is correct.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Read up on air cleanliness in passenger aircraft and Boeing will tell you that the recirculated air is 99% germ free after it has passed through its cleaning filters but doesn't mention how dirty it is before it gets there. The planes also get a good wipe down after each trip so as long as you don't touch anything when going to the loo and sit still for around 7½ hours there shouldn't be a problem. Its good to know that you can rely on Boeing as long as you don't mention the 737 Max.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There's only one effective bio-filter and that's dilution and the life span of the organism. Like being alone on a mountain top! All 'assurances' like that of Boeing and many vacuum cleaner manufacturers are whistling in the dark.
I'll put my money on distance and strong winds outside! (And bleach!)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I don't know about on the aircraft but the newspaper photos of the people being driven from the airport to their quarantine quarters showed everyone in the bus wearing at least a mask. I hope they wore gloves too.
Later...I searched for an example the photo but can't find one now. All the photos that came up were the early ones from January and then the bus driver wasn't wearing a mask. I hope that driver is OK!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 10:27 . I hope that driver is OK!
I guess he will be because no one on the coach had the virus. They have all 'served their time' in quarantine and gone home. The latest batch however had four infected people amongst them.
We will see. They say this virus is not as severe as SARS, but a lot more infectious.

Meanwhile Italy has quarantined eleven towns (!) - the Stock Market has plunged -
(FT down 250 points = 3.5 %) and the price of gold is rocketing.

Corona virus

PS - here are a couple of thoughts -

"One microbiologist today told MailOnline there is no reliable way to protect someone on a bus from a virus that can circulate in the air. Dr Simon Clarke, from the University of Reading, said face masks wouldn't protect drivers from the virus but that they were at risk of getting infected because the virus could 'circulate' in the air on the bus. He said: 'Masks probably would have made no difference at all because viruses are too small [to be caught by the filters]."

An if you want a new conspiracy theory - the plane from Japan landed at Boscombe Down, rather than the more usual Brize Norton. This is just a few miles from, and very handy for Porton Down. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Latest figures on Chinese mainland at midnight 24th February:

77658 conformed cases, 2663 deaths, 27323 recovered. That leaves 47672 active infections. The good news is that the figure for new infections is falling.

A professor on CGTN yesterday said 70% of the worlds population could get infected. If only 3% die that would be 234 million deaths. Maybe this is the worst case scenario.

It is a fact that the type of masks worn by members of the public, including myself, are inadequate and won't stop a virus.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Retinoscopy and glaucoma test done at the optician's yesterday, better than having to troll over to Colne..... Both fine....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 03:14 Retinoscopy and glaucoma test done at the optician's yesterday, better than having to troll over to Colne..... Both fine....
I have to wait for my results...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Coronavirus back in the news again. More outbrakes round the world now getting into areas which are popular holiday places. Not stopping flights but our Health Minister has come up with the cunning plan of self isolation on return.

Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, said this morning that people flying home from any areas quarantined by the Italian government should self-isolate - whether they show symptoms or not - and that he was "worried".

That should put a stop to it.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I thought all our cabinet ministers were already self-isolated!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice one Tiz. A very worrying aspect about current governance. When they do appear they only give stock answers. Again, go to Hancock and the Marmot report.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This is a question I've been wanting to ask but the article leaves other, more specific, questions unanswered...
`Coronavirus: How do you self-isolate successfully?' LINK
For example it says your employer should still pay you while self-isolating just as if you were ill off work. But how do you prove to your employer that it's justified? Is an employer expected to pay any employee who rings in and says they are self-isolating? there won't be a sick note.

I keep seeing photos of people wearing face masks but not so many wearing gloves, yet skin contact from contaminated surfaces is going to be a common route of infection.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Just phoned my young lad who works at Canary Wharf to tell him that Chevron have just sent 300 workers home after one of their employees displayed Corona virus symptoms today. He took the news well - no panic. :smile: I think today is crunch time, and reality is striking. The policy of containment cannot be sustained.

PS
The Sun says -
AN OFFICE in London's Canary Wharf is on lockdown today with 300 workers sent home over coronavirus fears. US oil company Chevron told staff to work from home for the forseeable future after an employee reported flu-like symptoms.

How can you be locked down and sent home at the same time. . . :laugh5:
Last edited by Tripps on 26 Feb 2020, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

On self-isolation. I've never had a respiratory problem so If I was suddenly to develop one I would avoid going to the doctors but make a point of visiting my MP just to get clarification from the horses mouth.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I was thinking about the schools that have closed after half term trips to Italy. There are a few in the North of England. Primary and secondary, kids sent home to self isolate, what about the parents who may both be working? Have they to isolate as well and if not what good is the regime?
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The school where my son works have isolated the pupils and staff who have just returned from Italy, fortunately they have some 'spare' buildings . No sign of the school closing though.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Schools here have not yet reopened after the New Year holiday. Self quarantine is for the good of the community, and I don't think there is another country in the world that could do it better than China. Anybody who behaved unreasonably would soon be brought into line by others in the community. People are prepared to suffer a bit of hardship when given the alternatives and they help each other. All the points you bring up are valid and are already happening here. People can't go to work and small businesses haven't reopened after the holiday. Travel is severely restricted. Personally, I haven't been outside our estate gates for a month. Luckily we have our roof garden and I can talk to the chickens to break the boredom. The point is that this could become a pandemic involving millions of cases. If you look at the figures, most infected people are spending about 3 weeks in hospital. This isn't the sniffles, it's more serious than that.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What happens if you have a job with no sick pay? Do Zero Hours contracts pay for self isolation? I doubt it....
Hancock In the House yesterday was about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
How do you 'isolate' a dog?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 03:13 What happens if you have a job with no sick pay? Do Zero Hours contracts pay for self isolation? I doubt it....
Hancock In the House yesterday was about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
How do you 'isolate' a dog?
I suppose that if you have no sick pay then you go without! Isolation still has to be done. The government is telling employers that they have a social responsibility to look after their employees, but I don't know what is happening. There is supposed to be a compensation scheme to assist businesses that cannot re-open.

I don't think dogs and cats get this particularly corona virus or spread it to humans. According to the WHO, the infection cannot spread from dogs or cats to humans.

I've just visited our local supermarket and had my temperature scanned before being allowed to enter. I wore a facemask like everyone else, most of which are totally inadequate to stop a virus.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning China. Yes, I think you are right about dogs and cats being immune but my point (Badly made) is that they have to be taken out to empty them. That isn't isolation!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 05:06 Morning China. Yes, I think you are right about dogs and cats being immune but my point (Badly made) is that they have to be taken out to empty them. That isn't isolation!
I assume if you have to quarantine yourself then you'll have to make other arrangements for your dog, or train it to go to the loo, or be prepared to have a mop and plenty of bleach in stock!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I haven't been outside our estate gates for a month. Sounds like Alcatraz for the rich. On a more serious note. Will they be banning the use of air conditioner units that blow air directly out into the street without going through a HEPA type filter? I'm thinking about Legionnaires' disease where air passing over contaminated water spread the bacteria outside the building.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I think you are over-thinking thing Plaquey...and you need a quiet sit down with a strong brew.
Mind you, all diseases spread more thoroughly in areas of high density population. Thank heavens I live in a rural coastal situation with stiff sea breezes and low density housing. Plenty of fresh air around us. We only catch sight of our nearest neighbours about once a fortnight. We are a holiday destination though, and avoid supermarkets and crowds during school holidays. We may have to vet house guests in the future. I’ve always told folk that if the end of the world comes, they can make their way here and we will provide shelter and good food. ( have to think now as to how many we have promised it to!!!! They may arrive by foot, bike, car...or on the back of goats if things get really bad!)
Must stock up on wine! :biggrin2:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Marilyn wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 08:35 I think you are over-thinking thing Plaquey...and you need a quiet sit down with a strong brew.
Normally I major in conspiracy theories and stirring up apathy. But, remembering a case last year where the exhaust from one apartment entered another below it drawn in by the air conditioner. Not that daft when you think about it. Personally I don't think it is transmitted on a casual basis. ie: being in proximity for a very short time, more likely to need a more prolonged exposure or physical contact with things they have handled.

What wine are you recommending? :good:

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”