MEDICAL MATTERS

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley I'm sure it will just be a review of your drugs. I'll bet the doc tries to persuade you to take statins!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We'll see Love. I feel fine and that's the main thing!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 01 May 2018, 03:15 I get a print out of the bloods result each time I have one P. I can't remember when I saw Hassan last..... I shall wait and see.
What was your hba1c this time?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

53 Wendy, it's the apple pies......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Pork pies, steak puddings, oven bottoms, chips...... :notthatway:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

With your hba1c going up the doc will probably be wanting to increase your metformin.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

( you tell him, Wendy...let him have it with both barrels)
To be brutally honest his glycated haemaglobin isn't TOO shocking and I know Stanley walks more than the average person his age. He is active in all areas of his life. BUT, given the aging state of his organs, he may have to crack down a bit. He has done it before and can do it again. I have faith that he will take any new health issues in hand. ( he has also had a lot on his social calendar lately).
( don't be too hard on yourself, Stanley. You can work thru anything)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks to both of you, both talking very sensibly and you're right. I know what the rabbit is and I can deal with it. The problem they have identified is a slight indication in my bloods that my kidneys are 'leaking protein'. This is not necessarily a problem but Hassan thinks we should address it and see if we can nip it in the bud. The way to do this is to take a starter dose of a drug called Ramipril which is mainly used for lowering blood pressure. There's nothing wrong with my BP, this morning it was 127/77, a perfect reading, but lowering it a bit can take some pressure off my kidneys. The side effect could be feeling dizzy so I am to take my dose each night before going to bed so that if it does affect me like that I shall be asleep! I questioned him closely and he said that he would take it and in fact his dad is on the same drug and dose for the same problem and he is managing it well. Because of my life style he doesn't think I will have a problem.
I'm not happy about this but he makes sense. At the same time I will attack the sugar levels and weight..... I go back for bloods in 17 days and a repeat visit with Hassan in a month. I am not dying!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Dave had been Ramipril for years. He takes it at night too. His BP can be quite low in the mornings and he had had occasional dizzy spells when he tries to get out of bed. ( we have tested with our BP machine and he is up to normal blood pressure by the time he has showered/shaved and dressed.) Best to sit on the edge of the bed for a few moments before launching off!
Just take it easy on the stairs in the mornings if you get a bit giddy.
In fact, they are discussing moving it to a morning dose instead of night time...which he is resisting...as he doesn't want to suffer daytime dizziness that may affect him driving.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Maz, both encouraging and practical! I feel better already!
Here's what my friend Martha said. We keep each other posted on our failings.....

"That is really very good news. Let's face it, as we get older, something is bound to happen, and it sounds like your problem is infinitely treatable and not likely to interfere with your lifestyle. So you can go on being cantankerous , outrageous, combative and totally lovable with impunity!!! Keep us posted! xxxxxxxx"
Nothing quite like having positive friends!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You are doing okay Stanley! Cutting the carbs again will help your kidneys though :good:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

The kidneys maintain their filtration with their own localised blood pressure, it is a bit of a safety mechanism to keep the kidney working if the cirulatory BP falls too low which it would if you were unconscious. It sounds like this localised mechanism is needing a bit of regulating itself. You will be fine Stanley, I know a few people on that medication.

If this localised pressure gets a bit high or indeed normal BP gets a bit high it squeezes things out of the blood into the kidney tubes that shoudn’t be squeezed out, a bit like picking up a heavy loaded , but not dripping sponge of water, then when you squeeze it out shoots the water. Another way to look at it is to think about a hosepipe nozzle, when you tighten it and increase the pressure the water shoots out further and with it anything suspended in it. So your medication will, using this same analogy loosen off this hosepipe nozzle.

If things leave the bloodstream into the kidney we can reabsorb the useful things back into the blood provided they haven’t travelled too far or too fast. A bit like trying to pick white boxes off a conveyor belt, turn up the speed ( ie the pressure) and you miss some so they are still on tbe conveyor belt. In this case proteins get filtered out but stay in the urine instead of going back into the blood. Although some proteins normally are too big to leave the blood vessels, they can if the pressure is too high. Get that pressure down ( ie lower the speed of the conveyor belt) and normal service will be resumed.

Hope that helps and is not as clear as mud
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, I have come to that conclusion as well, add the apple pies and more pastry than necessary like Cornish Pasties.
Sue, it is very clear and helpful and I trust your opinion. "You will be fine Stanley, I know a few people on that medication. " I like that bit and after taking the first pill last night at 20:30 I have not noticed any dizziness or other side effects. So far so good.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley your GP has to tell you the possible side effects but not everyone has them. Just don’t go jumping out of bed first thing. Rise slowly as befits your elegant maturity :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was ready for problems this morning but had none Sue. Early days but so far all is well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Welcome to the club, Stanley! I don't have what you've got but I do have to be careful about dizziness due to drops in blood pressure. I've had propranolol tablets for a long time now to help me control my `wandering' blood pressure. I don't need to take them all the time but just when I most need to avoid dizziness or when something is likely to bump up my blood pressure. My body over-reacts and the low dose of propranolol damps down the swings in blood pressure.

Thanks for all that explanation about Stanley's kidneys, Sue. Concise and clear. Nice analogies! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shan't be giving daily medical bulletins but I'm monitoring the situation and so far I have had absolutely no problems with dizziness. I'm doing daily BP readings and they are like a 16 year old lad's! On the whole I think it looks like a good move......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Febby had his flu shot a few days ago, and as usual, it seems to produce the symptoms of a cold. I know they say this doesn't happen, but I swear it does with him.
We have lined up the ingredients for a hot toddy before bed. He has gone through 4 handkerchiefs today. A hot toddy might dry out his persistent drip!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I had the flu shot on Wednesday, on Thursday evening I suddenly got very tired and woke up today achy and with a head cold and a have a bit of a sore throat. But on Wednesday I spent a few hours in a smallish room with 2 women who were both coughing all the time and said they felt terrible. So I don't know which one has caused my feeling a bit off.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm usually OK with the flu jab but I agree that at times it can make you feel tired and a bit achy, seems to vary year to year. I'm always kind to myself after having it....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A small matter.... Since my finger healed after I tried to cut it off I have had a problem with the scar on top in that it had a small hard white spot at the end of it which was very tender. I've been convinced for a while that there was a foreign body in there.
I am one of the self-treatment generation, I don't go to the doctor with every little complaint, I do something about it! The other morning I was sewing a button on the waistband of my trousers and decided to do something about the spot as I had a needle in my hand. I sterilised it in the flame of my lighter and broke the skin on the top of the spot. I have to admit that for 36 hours I wondered if I had made a mistake because it was even more painful but last night a small hard white body popped out of it and it's fine now. I think it was a metal chip and the white covering was my body's response to it, it surrounded it with tissue and it was the pressure from that growth that was making it tender as there was no loose skin, it was directly over the knuckle. It's healed immediately and is not tender any more! I have no doubt it will lose the residual tenderness and will be fine from now on. So don't be frightened of having a bit of a pick every now and again. If you use your head it can be OK.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I fell off a motorbike when it's driver lost control when I was 16.
I can still feel bits of gravel in the palm of my hand...

Cazza has put herself to bed. She still isn't well after her flu-jab last week. Febby's nose still hasn't stopped dripping since his flu-shot last week either.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I can still feel bits of gravel in the palm of my hand..." I know the feeling Maz. I have a permanent lump on one of my fingers and am almost certain it's a deep seated milling chip. Doesn't bother me so I leave it alone.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tizer wrote: 04 May 2018, 10:35
Thanks for all that explanation about Stanley's kidneys, Sue. Concise and clear. Nice analogies! :smile:
That was one of my classic kidney analogies when I taught A level Humman Biology. The students liked my analogies but seemed to spend more time trying to learn them than the physiological facts they were trying to explain :laugh5:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

An occupational hazard, Sue!
Marilyn wrote: 07 May 2018, 04:21Cazza has put herself to bed. She still isn't well after her flu-jab last week. Febby's nose still hasn't stopped dripping since his flu-shot last week either.
If I remember right, you Aussies had a bad time in the last flu season with a new flu strain that wasn't in your jab cocktail. Perhaps it's been added now and is sufficiently different that your body wants to attack it.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”