MEDICAL MATTERS

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Tizer »

Maz, the reason that you received that advice in the 1980s might be because it was a `hangover' of concerns prior to then. It was in the 1970s that the US passed regulations to make all talcum products used in the home asbestos-free. Another reason might be that poor quality talc was still coming in from less scrupulous suppliers.

For anyone who wants further information I've added a few links. This is a fact sheet from Ovacome, a UK charity providing advice for women with ovarian cancer and run by such women: Ovacome These its conclusions:
We still do not know what really causes ovarian cancer. But it is likely to be a combination of many different inherited and environmental factors, rather than one cause such as talc. It is also important to remember that, out of the millions of women in England and Wales, many of whom use talc, only a very small number will develop ovarian cancer each year. So even if talc does increase the risk slightly, very few women who use talc will ever get ovarian cancer. Also, if someone has ovarian cancer and used talc, it seems unlikely that using talc was the reason they developed the cancer. More studies will be needed to work out exactly whether or not using talc causes ovarian cancer.

This is from the American Cancer Society: ACS and this from the European Journal of Cancer: LINK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's an upbeat news story about eye care...
`The eye doctor who could not see the stars' LINK
`For many years, Dr Andrew Bastawrous could not see clearly enough to spot the leaves on trees or the stars in the sky. Teachers kept telling him he was lazy and he kept missing the football during games. Then, aged 12, his mother took him to have his eyes tested and that changed everything. Now he is a prize-winning eye doctor with a plan to use a smartphone app to bring better vision to millions of children around the world.'
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's another good news story..... Margaret had her processor activated yesterday and now she has good hearing in both ears for the first time in her life. She says "It's bloody wonderful!".
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Great news, it must take some getting used to!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent news Stanley, I was thinking the same as Wendy.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

She'll probably find everything too loud until she gets used to it. When my dad first put in hearing aids he complained that the rain falling on the windscreen of his car was too loud for comfort!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

She's had the experience of getting used to the other one in the right ear......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Another example of how you have to be cautious when buying stuff on t'internet...
`Slime toys could have 'potentially unsafe levels' of boron, says Which?' Slime
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Looks horrible! I have never come across it so I am in no danger.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We're used to hearing about the terrible results of the over-prescribing of opioid drugs in the US but now the information about our own problem in the UK is emerging. In particular the sentence: `In England, GPs prescribed 23.8 million opioid-based painkillers in 2017 - a rise of 10 million prescriptions since 2007.'
`Opioids: Why 'dangerous' drugs are still being used to treat pain' LINK

This is in addition to the over-prescribing of anti-depressants and antibiotics. The Saturday issue of The Times had a lot about anti-depressant use and prescribing in the UK gleaned from a freedom of information request. It seems a major reason for over-prescribing anti-depressants is the long waiting times for the preferable alternative, so called `talking therapies'. GPs feel forced to give their patients the pills to get them through the waiting time.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have noted the same trends Tiz and I think you are right. The GPs feel they have to be seen to be 'doing something'. Add overuse of opioids to the rise of the 'zombie drug' Spice and you have a grim picture.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have said from time to time that I would like to get my weight down to 12 stones, at the moment I am rock steady on 13. All right, I know how to do it, my nutrition is right, all I have to do is eat less but it simply doesn't happen. My problem is that I am in wonderful health considering the mileage and I wonder at times if I should just accept things as they are. I have no guarantee that I will be any better if I am as thin as a rake! On the whole I think I should just bugger on as I am now and only revisit this if my health tells me to.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Little doubt in my mind that the small daily dose of Ramipril, a blood pressure lowering drug, is slowing me down a bit but I don't mind that as it seems to be not too aggressive and is doing its job...... I have no problem with declining to do brisk!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Medical matters have been weighing heavily on my mind. Not simply nursing my mate but the effects a shock like that can have on a bloke my age. I've seen bad things when people have ignored shock. The worst mistake I reckon is to not recognise the dangers and try to carry on as usual. This is a big mistake! If something like this happens to you, recognise that it is potentially as serious an injury as Jacks! I know this is being super cautious but over my life I have found it's well worth a bit of thought.
In case you're wondering, I am OK I think. I improve as I watch Jack progressing and he is doing very well, very weak but his normal routine has kicked in and we even had a small firm stool on the Green! (I know, I'm besotted!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think I have survived apart from one small episode of loose stool which I attribute to the shock. Interesting that as Jack improves, so do I. I suppose that's a measure of besottedness if there is such a word! These animals are so important to us.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

What has helped you get over the shock is your pre-occupation with Jack's troubles. It's always best to have something to take your mind off your own situation. Think of those soldiers who've been given medals because they've saved someone else even though they too have been badly wounded.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:laugh5: I don't know. Hubby has been sick since last Tuesday...I've been running after him with fluids and whatever takes his fancy ( which isn't anything much as his appetite is low)... And I find myself a bit "bunged up"!!!! Might take a Senekot tonight.
Work that out. ( cos I am trying to :biggrin2: )
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 10:42 :laugh5: I don't know. Hubby has been sick since last Tuesday...I've been running after him with fluids and whatever takes his fancy ( which isn't anything much as his appetite is low)... And I find myself a bit "bunged up"!!!! Might take a Senekot tonight.
Work that out. ( cos I am trying to :biggrin2: )
Too much information! Hope everything turns out OK. :biggrin2:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Maz, a psycholologist would probably say you were `internalising' your concerns for your hubby. Perhaps the Senekot will externalise them. :laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Minor problem resolved.
But I think I'm getting what he has...(great! Because he is not the most tolerant person when I get sick, which is why I avoid doing so if I possibly can)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz,Tiz could be right. The Spanish word for influenza is constipado.... Not too much information China, a very good indicator of general health.
You may be right Tiz about being totally wrapped up in Jack. He's showing good signs this morning, see What Attracted. I think also we might be a couple of tough old buggers!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I'm having feelings of Deja vu or more precisely the same transient symptoms I had nearly four years ago. Temporary loss of function down my right side, I say temporary as the cramping in my arm and muscle weakness in arm and leg only lasts about 5-10 minutes and then subsides. started on Friday last week, last day of our holiday on the NE coast, thought it prudent not to drive so Sally drove us home. Repeated once on Saturday but nothing at all yesterday. I made an emergency appointment for this morning with my doctor, he is assuming TIA symptoms and has made me an appointment for 9am tomorrow on Ward 2 at Airedale. I am the other side of 300mg of Aspirin and trying not to vex too much. Round two with the stroke bloke tomorrow.

Apart from my diagnosis of stenosis last year which encumbers me with weakness in my right leg I have been perfectly fine since I was last in this place in December 2014. I have walked up hills and continued to ride my bike as the mood takes me. I feel perfectly OK at the moment, slight anxiety accepted. Having a brew, I may be missing for a while but will post again when I know more.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Take care, Ian, and don't let anyone or anything wind you up. Chill out, as the kids would say, and avoid all stress. I hope you pass your MOT with flying colours! :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Peter, we have a slight complication as we have our Ruby up with us, she is due to go back down to Stratford with Sally on Wednesday. Our daughter Carla is picking her up this afternoon for a hastily arranged sleep over with her cousins in Silsden. That will leave Sally free to deliver me up to hospital tomorrow. I reckon they will either admit me or send me home with medication which was eluded to by my doc, he said that there is a raft of medication available depending on the eventual prognosis. Sally can scoop Ruby up from our Carla any time tomorrow as it's only the other side of the bypass from the hospital ready for the train on Wednesday, she already has a lift sorted for Skipton station on Wednesday morning. If I am admitted tomorrow I will be in the best place anyway.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Best wishes Ian. Hope you get it sorted quickly.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks China.
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”