MEDICAL MATTERS

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley isn't trashing you Maz, he is asking you to think before you post and not to be so insensitive to people's feelings.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

And my father in law died of prostate cancer.

All medical matters need to be discussed with sensitivity . This is a big site, lots of us have seen suffering in our families and lost friends from diseases , not even mentioned on here. It is always important to be sensitive as anyone of us could easily be upset by a casual remark. I usually keep off the medical forum for exactly that reason. I am not sure why I looked yesterday, but I did and the way the conversation was going both shocked and upset me. Support was what was needed, and not criticism. In future I will keep away from this forum in case issues that have affected my immediate family are discussed in a manner that I find upsetting. There are facts that should be discussed yes, but opinions should be expressed carefully
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Why not delete the topic altogether?
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Talking to a lady at work today, a nurse/midwife, haven’t seen her for a couple of months and I thought she looked different. She told me that a couple of months ago, she had a Cold that she couldn’t shake off . At the same time suddenly everything she ate tasted like dirt.
She has lost 20kilo’s of weight and still has the Cold, and everything still tastes like dirt.
Doctors have no real idea what it’s all about. Crazy.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sounds awful Cathy, losing your sense of taste would be bad enough but when everything tastes revolting it must be hard to eat at all.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I have a thought...but of course... do not dare post it on this topic...
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 12 May 2021, 07:54 I have a thought...but of course... do not dare post it on this topic...
Go on, Maz, be a devil! :laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

No! I can’t China! I am within a gnats gonads of being banned. I upset folk. They hate me!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cathy wrote: 12 May 2021, 05:50 Talking to a lady at work today, a nurse/midwife, haven’t seen her for a couple of months and I thought she looked different. She told me that a couple of months ago, she had a Cold that she couldn’t shake off . At the same time suddenly everything she ate tasted like dirt.
She has lost 20kilo’s of weight and still has the Cold, and everything still tastes like dirt.
Doctors have no real idea what it’s all about. Crazy.
Parosmia, Cathy, known to be a side effect of Covid-19...
Parosmia [pahr-OZE-mee-ah] is a change in the normal perception of odours, such as when the smell of something familiar is distorted, or when something that normally smells pleasant now smells foul. NIDCD
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I would soooooo like to challenge you there Tiz.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 11 May 2021, 23:34 Why not delete the topic altogether?
No need to delete the topic , just discuss diplomatically with respect for other peoples feelings
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 12 May 2021, 08:20 No! I can’t China! I am within a gnats gonads of being banned. I upset folk. They hate me!
:extrawink:

Some people wear their hearts on their sleeves! Quite a few of us on here have major health issues, and that includes me and you, so it is always going to be a sensitive area. We don't hate you! :giveheart:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 12 May 2021, 08:29 I would soooooo like to challenge you there Tiz.
Challenge is the wrong approach just say what you think it may be and back it up. This is a learning forum and extra knowledge when supported is good. That gives rise to healthy discussion
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Put your own thinking caps on. My thoughts are not accepted here. That has been made clear. You lot are the brains, apparently.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Re- the lady with the Cold , and everything tastes like dirt... I did mention Covid but of course because she is a health worker, she is often tested for Covid, so it’s not that.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I know 👍🤣
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

So what is it Maz, please. I never said I was brains. I am a scientist and like logical , not emotive answers. Ah well I shall do as you say. Seek my own answer in scientific literature which is precise and devoid of emotion in such issues. I am going to sew now!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Seek your own answers. I have never met the woman and have no more information than you do, Sue. I can’t ask her questions any more than you can.I have one simple answer and possibly three other answers. I cannot post my thoughts. You, and others have made that impossible.
It is sad to be in such a situation....but it is of your own making. I would love this to be an open forum, but when you have to worry every step of the way that you are going to upset somebody...it becomes totally redundant. I do not wish to upset anyone, though I admit I have a blunt, down-to-earth personality, which I do not apologise for.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

This is one suggestion.

https://www.healthline.com/health/cacosmia#causes

No time to search more now
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hmmmmm....think on.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

If you could question this unknown patient Sue, what questions would you ask? ( I have mine.)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cathy wrote: 12 May 2021, 09:10 Re- the lady with the Cold , and everything tastes like dirt... I did mention Covid but of course because she is a health worker, she is often tested for Covid, so it’s not that.
Cathy, following on from Sue's link about cacosmia, this study is interesting. Some of the symptoms are just like those of a cold: `Cacosmia in healthy workers' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

All very interesting :smile:
I know she probably spends a lot of time in closed work spaces, in her case clinics etc. Yesterday she brought in freshly picked fruits, her family has fruit orchards and they only use organic garden feeds etc. Not sure how much time she spends there.
Apart from her weight loss, and an often runny nose, she appears happy and energetic.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Today is a good day, prostate cancer has been ruled out by the biopsy. Further investigation is required but the 'elephant in the room' has cleared off :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Get in Kev! Excellent news, lets hope they can get to the bottom of it. Sorry for the unintended pun, onward and upward. :extrawink:
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”