MEDICAL MATTERS

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Cathy »

Or the Tripps?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Probably send us away for re-education in a special facility!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Cazza...Tripps is on point, I think...( well not Tripps personally, but the message he conveys. I have no idea how old Tripps is and if this affects him at daily level. I can just accept the reason behind the message)
Stanley is the Maverick.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm not 70 till August so should just escape lockdown, Col is younger but would be considered vulnerable. We are pretty much stocked up with most things including animal feed and bedding and are lucky enough to live in isolation anyway. I'm happy to stay at home!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I shall, read, sew, garden, paint, write my book and if the worse comes to the worse clean out my cupboards and drawers. I am more than happy to be protected. I said to Bob last night that I didn’t want to go out any more.
If you keep searching you will find it
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

On a quick count its Stanley, Bodger and myself who are on the Three score Ten + 10 hit list. Well; I can tell you now we are here for the log run. If the UK average age for men is 85+ Then you can count on the three musketeers being up there with them. Went down to the local pool for my chlorine dip. All the old faces were there enjoying life as normal. Probably those sat in the cafe were at a bigger risk than we were. Just use your loaf, if you have a choice whether to go to a place or not and its not essential then don't go.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Cathy wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 05:40 China, are you still living in isolation. How are people coping?
How is the mood, are your neighbours still singing in the afternoons?
We can go out but are advised to keep one metre away from other people if possible. There are only 7 remaining confirmed cases in our province, Guangxi which is as big as the whole of the UK. We are still being careful and most people wear a mask when going out. There are still no public gatherings for exercise and dancing in the mornings and evenings and the town square is deserted instead of thronging with people but most businesses have reopened. There is little risk in China at the moment with most new confirmed cases being 'imported' but the danger is the epidemic could break out again. It seems the draconian measures taken were necessary and sufficient. No word of when schools will reopen. Public transport is operating at a much reduced level, for example a 50% reduction in rail services.
We're happy to be bored in isolation rather than struggling to breathe in hospital. We went out to our local pool room three times last week. Things seem to be very normal and people are optimistic. Small groups are returning to sing in the park and play their musical instruments outdoors, and walk backwards whilst clapping hands and the other 'normal' things they used to do.
Marilyn wrote: And how would your community cope with the Stanley’s of this world, China?
Elderly people are treated with respect here so Stanley would have no worries whatsoever. China really is a good place and not like the stories you read in western newspapers.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll stick with where I am thank you.
All this talk about me being a maverick! There's just been a nice lady on Broadcasting House who is in charge of Health in Scotland. She says that this talk about making old people lock down is bad reporting. Her advice is to do exactly what I was talking about this morning so I am in good company!
Hold your water until we get the official word.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I suppose Stanley can drop a note in at the butchers requesting a doorstep delivery of the usual offals and prime cuts.

For some Milk and More (and other dairy companies) do deliveries of fresh, chilled and some paper and grocery goods - there prices are higher for the convience though.

Will we see the return of the Corona Lemonade Trucks ?

(Photo of Lorry by John Wakelin - he used to Repair TVs in the High Street down the road from my mum.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have been in contact with Pluggy recently on site related matters. He is in a bit of limbo at the moment waiting for appointments and stuff. I will let him give the low down on his status if that is his choosing.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

China, some good things there. It sounds very calm, boring but calm. No panic.
It sounds like your area has lost it’s character for a while, but as you say people are optimistic.
Luckily you have your partner to ‘wait it out’ with. All the best.

Thanks Ian for your message about Pluggy.
Missing you Pluggy.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A variation on a theme from FB land:

corona truck.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I think you folk need to get real...
Sorry, I find this a serious topic. I hope that you do too, soon.
Older folk need to be isolated because the government has no intention of spending money on you to save you. Your survival depends on you and your choices.
Make the right choices.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 12:34 Don't you need about 80% infection and recovery to reach herd immunity status Tiz? We might get there by this time next year. I would expect when they do have a workable vaccine that after initial rollout to the medics it will probably become a component of the flu jab or maybe given separately like the pneumonia jab.
I wrote the following elsewhere on OG but here it is again...
I've just read an article by Tom Whipple, science correspondent for The Times. He says the current calculated figure needed for herd immunity with Covid-19 is 60%, which means you'd need 40 million people in the UK to get infected and survive. Also if you allow the virus to spread in the UK in order to gain immunity then vulnerable people will have to be protected or you'll potentially see about 1.5 million deaths.
That word `potentially' is important. This is why there's a proposed lockdown (to start in about 20 days if it goes ahead) on the over-70s and other vulnerable groups. By the way, I'm in my 70s and Mrs Tiz is in her 60s so we're in the same situation as Febby and Maz in that respect. Mrs Tiz was sporting a big grin this morning when she informed me that she'd be able to go for walks but I'd have to stay indoors! Actually, there's no point in keeping healthy over-70s from their walks as long as they don't go around kissing and shaking hands with everyone they see. And we're not going to catch the illness by breathing in the odd virus particle - you need a bigger `infective dose' to catch it. Mrs Tiz has just had an email from the CEO of Sainsbury's assuring her of all the ways in which they are going to look after us by keeping the shelves stocked with essentials, preventing panic-buying, and delivering to our door (I suppose the email went to a other Sainsbury's regular customers too - that's a benefit of having their loyalty card!)
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I cant see how walking out in the fresh air could be bad for anyone as long as not in a huge group or herd. The Barlick "walk and talk" group of predominantly older folk might have to take a break for a while. If you walk on your own or with the person you share a house with, in effect you are in pretty good isolation as long as you say, you don't hug everyone you might pass or meet.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Agreed. The health benefits of walking probably outweigh the remote danger of getting infected when outdoors and away from people. This brings back vague memories of my early childhood when I had whooping cough, was banned from school for a long time and quarantined at home. My mum used to take me for walks through the allotments! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Marilyn wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 00:52 The more I think about it, the more sense it makes actually Tripps
Marilyn wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 10:01 I think you folk need to get real... Sorry, I find this a serious topic. I hope that you do too, soon.
Marilyn wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 07:20 I have no idea how old Tripps is and if this affects him at daily level.
Predictable replies on this topic. Marilyn 'gets it'. The Government get it too, and their response is aimed at doing what is feasible. This could take a long time. I am well into the higher risk group and will act accordingly.

Just heard about this video - Bucket analogyit makes sense, and explains why the Government is using the 'nudge' technique of changing behaviour. I detect Mr Cummings behind it somewhere.

See you on the other side - hopefully. :smile:

PS -Realised that the over 70's isolation will have a big effect on Parliament - especially the House of Lords. I anticipate that the Lords will change the rules so that they continue to get their attendance allowance. :laugh5:
Last edited by Tripps on 15 Mar 2020, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

26th February, received reminder from dentist that my check up was due.

27th February, went online and booked the earliest appointment that I could from those on offer..

28th February, received a confirmation text that my appointment was booked for the 20th March at 9.15am, noted same on calendar. :smile:

13th March, received a text from the dentist: We have not heard from you to arrange your dental appointment. Please call .......... and we will happily book you in. :sad:

Do I rock up on Friday as confirmed on the 28th or do I ring and check that they actually keep a diary. :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just logged into my profile on MyDentist website, now if I can see this why can''t the practice secretary?

Plan, Dentist, Appointment, Practice, Address, Postcode, Appointment Date, Time.

NHS Eva Sedlarova Examination mydentist, Harrison Street, Barnoldswick Harrison Street BB18 5DY 20 March 2020 at 09:15
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

“bucket analogy” makes perfect sense. If you combine that with old crumblies being in isolation, they will stay safe and free up valuable health care resources to the younger ones ( who will go through all the misery for us and eventually provide us all with immunity).
Bring it on!

Trouble is, it has to be combined with oldies taking up any space in hospitals ( with other than life threatening problems) at all costs. A lot of elective surgery will need to be postponed for example. We’ve all heard of older folk having simple elective surgery and ending up in intensive care because something goes wrong, usually due to pre-existing health problems.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I have a 95 yo Cousin in Hospital , he is rather tall and heavy (not overweight just a rather large character) this seems to have contributed to a back vertebrae collapse problem on two of them, I think he is getting sawed pinned and screwed this week, recovery should take about 8 weeks , some in hospital , some later at home.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ouch!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Agreed. The health benefits of walking probably outweigh the remote danger of getting infected when outdoors and away from people."
Quite. And exactly what I was saying yesterday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Cathy wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 09:47 China, some good things there. It sounds very calm, boring but calm. No panic.
It sounds like your area has lost it’s character for a while, but as you say people are optimistic.
Luckily you have your partner to ‘wait it out’ with. All the best.
Funny you should say that. When I came downstairs this morning there was this woman sat on my sofa in the lounge. She said she was my wife. She seems OK so I've decided to keep her. :smile:

I've been watching and amused by the panic-buying in the UK, we didn't have any of that here and the government stepped in to prevent price rises and scamming. At least they'll have clean bums when they go into hospital, stupid people!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

“She seems ok”.
Bad Bad Husband. You are supposed to say “she is wonderful and I hope I get to keep her”. :biggrin2:

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”