Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It has now been 3 weeks since the kids visited with their city germs.
I would describe us as "fair to middling" ( still dealing with the germs)..
Buds and blossoms exploding around us on our walks, but we quietly wonder when our usual energy levels will return. Neither of us feel quite right yet. Mind you...we are not as bad as we were...
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Pleased to hear that you are both improving Maz, onwards and upwards!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Have you ever felt like you were walking about in a bubble, with a waxy coating between you and the rest of the world? We are a bit like that at the moment. Not quite that interested in what is going on yet.
The thing is, we have some major things looming on the calendar and can't be sick for long. We are very aware of the timetable and trying to quietly overcome as quick as possible. ( one major event is we are having guests from UK!)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 17:42 PanBiker, how did your brain scan go? In my case I went deaf in one ear, quite an unusual condition. When they suggest a scan I knew they suspected a tumour but kept it to themselves. In all events they didn't find anything.
Excellent P for your scan, deafness apart, mine went a bit different as below.

As is my norm here is the full round up it helps to get it off your chest.

Scan went well but then went potentially sinister, Admitted me to the AAU.

Next 24 hours were manic to say the least. Admitted to Unit 5 at 10.30pm, Cannula nurse had me tapped by 11pm, moved to Unit 4 at 12.30am.

Doctor came to assess with 30 minutes of neurological and strength test at 1am. Confirmed they found a large mass on the left hemisphere of my skull. It's on the lining and not directly in the brain but impacting.

Porter took me up to Radiology at 2.00am for a chest X-Ray, Back on ward and bloods taken along with all other obs at 3.30am. Couldn't sleep for the constant activity on the unit (I suppose that is the nature of the sharp end of acute assessment). I think I got off to sleep around 5.30 but Medicating duty nurse woke me around 6.30 to give me 8 steroid tablets. I was awake bleary eyed by 7.00am.

Day doctors came on at 8.00am and got to me at 9 to say that the brains defence against intruders like tumours is to surround them with fluid it is this that puts the initial pressure on the brain so the steroids are good at countering that hence the massive hit, but warned they can attack the stomach lining when administered orally so further meds will be given to counter this. They said they were leaning towards the tumor being benign but needed finer imagery to confirm so sending me for an MRI scan to beef up the diagnosis. Doc also said that on his stethoscope run he thought he had heard a slight heart murmur so would invoke the cardio dept to have a look, GREAT, just what I need!

I had breakfast, ordered my dinner and then the MRI scout came to look at the suitability of my cannula. NOT fat enough to shove the dye in that they use for a contrast scan. They ordered one up four times as big as the the first one which was duly fitted so I now had two inputs. Nurse took me up to imaging at 12 Noon where I had been the night before, same place different arenas.

MRI head scan takes about 30 minutes, 20 or so to get all the imaging and then a short break to shove the dye in then another 10 minutes to overlay the contrast data. Had to hold back outside the scan room after the finish for 10 minutes to check for no allergic reaction (potential anaphylactic shock). all OK so good to go.

Back up to the ward but ported by the Cardio Consultant who was waiting to scoop me for his two pennorth. Scanning kit already installed at the side of my bed when we got back. Missed my ordered hot dinner as I had missed the dishing up slot, got the option of what was left in the fridge, (egg mayo sandwiches, cheese & crackers and a yogurt pot). Heart consultant had me wired up before I could open my butties and spent 20 minutes utra-sounding the chambers and doppler shifting the blood flow, finished off with a flurry, top of chest, below adams apple where the main trunk from the heart to the carotid arteries branch off. He then pronounced no murmur and all plumbing around there working as it should. He had a listen with his stethoscope just to be sure but confirmed me in good nick there at least.

2.00 pm, day docs were back with the MRI results confirming left hemisphere large mass but the extra definition imagery reinforced their view that it was almost certainly benign. Shortly after, medication nurse was back with two tabs to stop the previously administered corrosive steroids eating away my stomach.

All my files, tests results and scans have been forwarded to Leeds where the centre of excellence Neurologists operate from. Airedale have asked for fast tracking into their regime for formulation and delivery of a treatment plan. Docs at Airedale have said that these often operate as outpatient appointments, after reassessment, they said they would almost certainly repeat their own testing regime before formulating a strategy. They have a meeting cycle where the Neurological Consultants all get together to share expertise on cases passed to them. I need to contact the AAU and they will chase for me if I have not heard anything from them within two weeks.

Tom, one of the day doctors came back after tea to give me the strength and reflex tests again to see if they differed from those done on admittance, he could see an improvement and as I have had no further episodes said that I would probably fare better at home than in hospital, they have done every test that they can and all the ones outside of the actual lump in my head have come back with positive plus results. I feel quite well (although tired through lack of sleep), put that to right in my own bed.

Essentially I have had a proper MOT with one fault found and I need a team with a different skill set to sort that. I could have stayed if I wanted but agreed with the logic and came home last night, my lad Jack picked me up. I have to go back today as the hospital pharmacy was closed by the time my release papers were being processed last night and the system inhibits printing of the docs if there are unfulfilled meds on them. Order has gone to pharmacy for the follow up meds to inhibit the potential gut rot which I will have to take for about a week. They let me come home anyway and docs and meds will be on the AAU reception today. They have knocked my current medication of blood thinner and statin on the head as they are no longer required and the blood thinner a particular no no in case Leeds need a surgical option.

I can go straight back to AAU if I have repeat attacks or any different symptoms. Trick now is how to get the genie out of the bottle, I believe in naming my enemies and I had thought of calling it Boris but that would be an insult to every spider that visit our house. It has been christened Darth, nasty bloke from the dark side that gets his comeuppance. I need my Skywalkers and Obe Wan's who I believe occupy Leeds Teaching Hospitals. Still cant drive.

Sorry for the diatribe but I needed to write it down somewhere.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 12:35 As is my norm here is the full round up it helps to get it off your chest.
Thanks for that Ian - I'd been wondering where you were these last few days, and becoming concerned. Sounds like an experience you could have done without. I don't know enough to comment on the medical side, and I doubt anyone else on here does either, so I won't.

You have a good attitude to all this, and I wish you well. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Wow Ian, thanks for explaining everything with your usual attention to detail. What a shock for you and the family, let's hope that progress is made quickly so you don't have to sit at home worrying for too long.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps and Wendy have summed up my own feelings. I admire you for keeping cool enough to write a ten-out-of-ten essay on your experiences - a bit like a fighter pilot coming back from a mission and managing to write a detailed but succinct report. We wish you a good and early outcome. May the Force be with you! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Wow, Ian. Don't know what to say, you're the hiker and fit one amongst us. Sounds like the hospital is looking after you and has everything under control, but a worry for you and your family to have to deal with. Best wishes for a successful outcome.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Best wishes PanBiker, one thing is certain our NHS gets top billing on situations like this. Only hours before your post we were running through Mrs P's experience three years ago. The number of scans, bloods, ECG's, nerve conduction, critical care, pipes down here and up there were difficult to remember, the list was endless. More consultants than you could shake a stick at. The outcome fantastic, all down to people who knew what they were doing. Just go in there with a good positive attitude and let them do the rest.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks all for your comments and good wishes. Just back from the hospital via a minor blip. We turned up at AAU and announced we were there to collect my meds and paperwork. Notes on my records said that Tom the last doctor I saw last night before discharge wanted a word with me and my mobile number in case they had any urgent news to impart from Leeds. He was busy at the time so we were going to have a bit of a wait.

We found out yesterday that a good friend of ours had been in the AAU at the same time as me so we thought we would take the opportunity of calling in on her. On making enquiries we found that she had been moved up to ward 16 which is Intensive Care a step nearer the door than AAU.

We tripped off up there as we knew Tom was on shift until around 8pm and we could catch him and pick up my meds later. It's quite a hike to Ward 16 as it's more or less the other end of the hospital when we arrived Kath already had family with her and was in a side room which are not very big. We stayed about half an hour but I had to stand. We made our farewells and as I was walking off the ward I recognised that I had the onset of symptoms and was losing muscular control in my right leg. I hobbled down the corridor as the seizure made its way up my right side and made it to a seating area just as the cramping started in my right arm. No different to previous episodes and no worse but I knew I would not make it back to the AAU unaided. Sally went back down and returned with one of the ward doctors and a wheelchair to take me back down. By the time I was back down on AAU I was well into recovery. I saw Tom and he suggested that I should be reassessed. Esther who was the doctor that did my original admittance assessment was on duty and he suggested that I should see her as she had an original point of reference for the test she did.

We had a wait before she had a free slot for me but I was eventually scooped up into an examination room. She repeated all the tests she had done on my original assessment and added a few more for good measure. No deterioration in my performance and after confirming with Sally that I had no added symptoms not owned up to we agreed that I had probably overstepped the mark today on exertion which led to the episode. Still better off at home providing I take it easy than risking picking infection up in the unit if kept in. This episode will be forwarded to the Leeds team as will any escalation in further episodes which may speed my take up into their care. If my symptoms get worse in any way I have to get myself back into the AAU. Esther sorted out my discharge medicines and paperwork and we got home around 7.30pm.

I have new boundaries that I will need to get used to until my hand over to Leeds.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two things in your favour Ian, your general condition and the fact that all the pointers are towards a 'benign' condition. I know what's going through your mind and every time it pops up reject it! If they thought it was anything but benign you would not have been allowed home.
All I can do is cross everything and pray for you. Keep the medical bulletins coming and give my love to Sally, she must be so worried about you.
On a different but closely related subject, my Mate Martha has been under treatment with the NHS for some months now and she says that they are wonderful, equal to or better than anything she could have expected in the US.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes I certainly can't fault the NHS with my experience of the service. The AAU department which effectively only deals at the sharp end is fantastic although under pressure. They are the diagnostic tool for the rest of the service, they don't treat apart from any required immediate medication. When I went back yesterday they had no problem reassessing me in case they had missed something, hence the extra neurological tests that Esther gave me. I have to keep my mobile on in case of any updates from Leeds.

I read my discharge notes last night which give a complete run down of my treatment up to press on the AAU. It shows the results as well including the nature of the unwelcome invader. It's metrically measured to two decimal places, I suppose for reference for further scans. Ball park is that Darth is claiming 5cm x 4.5cm x 5cm of room in my head which I need for my own use. I haven't had any headaches for which I am thankful. Fully recovered after a good night sleep from yesterdays episode. Found the best method for getting the plastic bullet tablets down me, worked this morning anyway, read the notes and they are to stop potential internal bleeding from the dose of steroids they gave me.

Up and running and feeling OK in myself.

Blessed and humbled by the level of support from friends.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Is Darth a mass, or a venous congestion?
My dear friend messaged me just 2 days ago to say her husband's TIA's ( of some 2 years running) have now resolved and his CT last week show the affected venous anomaly had been "absorbed" and we're no longer present. They were going to operate at several points but now say they have gone! So I have been up and down this week, between news of him and news of you Panbiker.
( her husband does live with the affects of the TIA's though and has some deficit in one leg still. It's quite mild and he can still drive, but has to carry a folding stick for when he gets a bit tired on long walks. Mind you, he never was a very fit man)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Described as a mass Maz but taking up a bit of room. My strength test show a deficit on my right side but not worsening but I am aware of as I have been for some time. Possibly contributing to the previous tripping episodes and noticed limp when returning from a decent walk on the fells thought to be stenosis but now could be linked to this diagnosis. Not doing the given exercise regime for that as it's extra exertion that I can probably do without at the moment. All potential TIA treatment and meds have been stopped as that turned out to be the wrong avenue.

I don't want to stagnate sat on the couch but it's difficult to judge the new temporary barrier. I know my symptoms triggered yesterday on around 2,000 steps as I have a pedometer app that runs in the background on my phone. It's a far cry from a 6 mile yomp around Weets hill which I used and still should be able to do with impunity, hoping I can get back to that.

Are you and Dave feeling better?
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 10:14 Found the best method for getting the plastic bullet tablets down me, worked this morning anyway...
Tell Sally that Stanley finds the best way is to hide them in a sausage! :laugh5:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I could live with that Tiz, I love sausages unfortunately these tabs have to be swallowed whole, no chewing allowed. You can empty the plastic capsules into water but the contents are small hard and granular and sink to the bottom of the glass, you need loads of water to swill them out of the glass and get them down. I almost drowned last night trying that method. :surprised: :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Try putting the contents on a spoonful of cream. That'll slip down easy and not drown you.
On the whole people are very good Ian and always remember, you deserve it! Keep the bulletins going, it's good for you and us.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Aye...keep your chin up, Panbiker.

We are coming good as quick as we can. We have stuff on the calendar that we cannot avoid...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 03:44 We are coming good as quick as we can. We have stuff on the calendar that we cannot avoid...
Good, I have stuff on my calender that I have to avoid! :sad:

On the tablet thing, I have cracked it, you just haven't got to let them float. :laugh5:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Get the tablet to the back of your throat then have Sally say "I've just spent £500 on a new dress". Bound to work! :smile:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I quite understand things you would rather avoid, Panbiker.
I shall secretly stand behind you and Sally to give rubs on the back, cyber style. I know you have the love of family and friends but I give an almighty back rub.
Tizer...that would work! 👍
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hang in there Ian.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

All quiet on the Western Front at the moment as they say. Had a transient episode on Saturday but nothing at all yesterday. It was no worse than any of the others, same duration and recovery time. Not rushing back with these but just noting the times and circumstance to update what I have to accept as my temporary boundaries. Sally will pass the intel onto the AAU and it will be fed into my case notes for Leeds. Going to have a walk out on town today and see how I go, I can always sit down if I feel the need, plenty of benches about. :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Have a lovely walk, Panbiker.
I have to say I am quite confused just now in regards to health and feeling good. I know we should both be feeling much better by now and I cannot fathom why we linger in the wasteland between feeling normal and feeling poorly. It doesn't make any sense at all. I hope the warm breeze of Spring ( coming soon) will revive us to our normal levels. Have never felt like this before. We are over the infection/cough, but just don't have our usual vim/zip. Every day is a bit of an effort at present, and we can't wait to sink into bed each night.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”