MEDICAL MATTERS

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Big Kev »

The dumbells that Ian kindly loaned me are producing positive results with my tennis elbow. I've had some ultrasound treatment and, what my physiotherapist described as tendon friction. This basically involves her digging her thumbs into the affected tendon, I think it's just to see me sweat a bit as it's not pleasant :-). The exercises she has given me involve the dumbells and I've seen an improvement in mobility of my arm and an increase in grip strength. I can now do press-ups on my fingertips again although only 10 at a time which I've not been able to do since last September.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I can now do press-ups on my fingertips again although only 10 at a time"

Good Grief!!!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Kev, is that the number of press ups or the number of fingers?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 07:09 Kev, is that the number of press ups or the number of fingers?
Both, 8 fingers and 2 thumbs and 10 press ups :-). I used to be able to do a lot more than that, it is easier to do them with my hands flat in the floor now though. I am limiting myself to 10 on my fingers and then 2 reps of 10 with my hands flat every morning, I don’t want to overdo it and reverse the good work of the physio.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just out of curiosity I tried it and was surprised to find I can still do press-ups (Only tried one) but there's no way I could do it with my fingertips. I am not going to make a habit of it..... I am impressed Kev!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The nearest I get to press ups is the 'cat stretches' as part of the scoliosis stretches for bad backs. The best exercise I came across. As far as I was concerned leaving my belly on the floor was almost impossible so they could have been seen as 'press up light'. Sue may already have this built into her perpetual motion routines.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's just something that I've always done. I make a point of doing them when I get up every morning, it started when I moved to office based jobs.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
I don't normally quote The Sun but THIS is worth a read. Why is a failed therapy being financed? Steroid injections have been questioned for years but are still being used.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS article in the Lancet is worth reading. It's a report on the risks of regular excessive alcohol consumption. Their research indicates that it shortens life spans. This confirms my life long believe that moderation in these matters is the best course. Alcohol is a good servant but a bad master.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remembered something that Maz said when coming home from their last trip. She said it would be good to get back to regular veggies in the diet because it would improve transit time. The reason I remembered is because I was suffering from the same syndrome after my week of dining out and departing from my normal diet! I am happy to say that the veggies have done the trick and I am back to normal.
We don't talk a lot about our bowels but it makes such a difference to life and health when everything is regular and efficient. I remember being puzzled by the design of the toilets when I went to Berlin. They had a platform formed in the bowl and I discovered that this was because examining your stool was seen as important in their culture. I don't go that far!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 08:25 The nearest I get to press ups is the 'cat stretches' as part of the scoliosis stretches for bad backs. The best exercise I came across. As far as I was concerned leaving my belly on the floor was almost impossible so they could have been seen as 'press up light'. Sue may already have this built into her perpetual motion routines.
In both yoga and pilates we do the cat stretch and we do the plank and the half plank. On occasions the plank becomes a press up. I am afraid I have a very meagre attempt at this. When I first started yoga and pilates 5 years ago I could do neither. Now at least I can do the plank and perhaps in another 5 years I will be able to do press ups successfully. I can however easily bend over with straight legs and put my hands on the ground, and have just accomplished the one legged stand with the other leg held out....sort of horizontally.... with my hand holding the foot by the big toe. My target is to manage it for the full 5 seconds instead of 1 before I fall over :laugh5: it would be improved if I coukd straighten my back instead of bending over as if in fear of my life!
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just listened to a programme on R4, 'The Second Genome'. It's all about our relationship with the microbes around us and how our internal population is essential for health. Lots of good stuff, well worth a listen! What I particularly liked was the fact that the incidence of asthma and wheezing after exercise in children is vastly improved if there is a dog in the house because of the beneficial microbes they pass on to you. Lots about too much hygiene as well. A good programme and it confirmed what I have always thought about massaging the immune system by contact with everything!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They've found something else for us to worry about, 'multi-morbidity' which is the condition of suffering two or more threats to health at the same time. See THIS Guardian report....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't find anything on the web but I have just listened to a very interesting discussion of what looks like a medical break through. It has relevance to the discussion yesterday on multi disorder problems. New work strongly suggests that depression is linked to inflammation, in other words the consequences of immune system activity. It looks promising.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I think it's in the news today because he's written a book but the work has been reported previously. Prof Ed Bullmore of Cambridge University and Glaxo. In the Telegraph last year: Telegraph and BBC in 2016: BBC
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

he was well supported by his colleagues in the interviews. Sounds sensible to me, "A sound mind in a healthy body" always made sense.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A genuine headline today to amuse Northerners...
`Londoners warned of toxic caterpillars'

And one to amuse Australian oldies...
`Melbourne students evacuate university due to rotting fruit'
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The message that was waiting for me at the surgery is that my doctor wants to see me for 'A patient revue'. So I will know what is going on on Thursday this week..... One good thing is that I can vote at the same time!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

A "patient review"?
Ask them to pay you for your time if it is for their "stats"!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Maz, a 'patient revue' sounds like more fun! I wonder what Stanley would contribute? Song & dance routine, comedy, ventriloquism, magic...? :laugh5:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I know that each year your Doctor(s) are obliged to review your medication and your general wellbeing. Quite often you may be offered some magic potion that NICE has just released into the system to trial on the more valued customers, or is that dispensable customers. Just a small point the Patient Access website will allow you to look at your test results but you need to make a separate written request.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I get a print out of the bloods result each time I have one P. I can't remember when I saw Hassan last..... I shall wait and see.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I had an asthma review last September which was nothing to do with my trip to the asthma clinic. It was to review the medication, ie change it for something else. I can’t say I have noticed any difference.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I suppose we all fear the worst when summoned by the GP..... I shall hold my water until Thursday but will admit I'll be glad when things become clearer.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

A bit of shopping and post departure clean today. My decorating was finished yesterday and I am pleased with the results. We are out at friends for a meal this evening
Last edited by Sue on 02 May 2018, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”