MEDICAL MATTERS

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Cathy »

Had a doctor's appointment on Monday and was told that my normal doctor ( a young guy ) had left the practice, I now have an older doctor about my own age. Whenever he has a new patient he automatically orders 'bloods'. He asked when I had last been checked, I said I couldn't remember! Oh dear, he was not impressed and blamed my previous doctor(s). I now have to go and have checks for diabetes, cholesterol, bloods, glucose etc etc.

Here we go... :rolleyes:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, the blood analysis could be a good thing. Look on the bright side, bit like doing an annual check on a car!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's good practice Cathy to make all those checks and keep the data on file, then if you have any future problems the doc has a `baseline' to look at - he can tell if anything has been trending in a particular direction away from the normal value. The information is also valuable in an emergency. As well as all that, the doctors have a duty to gather such information which can be used (anonymously) to follow what's happening in the population. You only need to be concerned if he has long fangs and bat wings! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Yes Tize, but I have managed to avoid getting caught up in all these tests for so long, now I feel a little bit like i have been caught in a spotlight.
It's up to me when I have the tests, I just don't want to be put on a path of no return with medications. I feel fine, so I hope they don't put me on any medications just because of my age, or just because it's routine.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

You don't have to accept any medications, surgery, treatments etc, it's totally up to you. If the docs had their way I'd be on steroids for my gut problems but I choose to restrict my lifestyle and diet instead (steroids damp down your immune system and make you vulnerable to all sorts of diseases). If they suggest things, weigh up the pros and cons and make your own decisions. They are beginning to realise that intervention is not always the best route, it can cause more trouble (for both patient and doctor). And anyway, if they say your tests are all OK you'll feel great. I had an angiogram 2 years ago to try to find out why I'm having breathing difficulty. It's more risky than a parachute jump but it was worth the risk - they told me my heart was in great condition which stopped me worrying about it (now perhaps I'll risk the parachute jump!).
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Last night I had to go to one of those clinics at St Peters Centre in Burnley

Huge building, & sat in the atrium it was as cold and draughty as any old building, but probably more so

Shocking building design
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

The new buildings are very impersonal. I have changed my doctor who is still in a family practice and you can get an appointment 48 hours latest. Dave's doctor is in a new building and you are lucky if you can get an appointment in two weeks. He hates going to the doctors he's of the opinion that once they get you in they boost their bonuses by prescribing drugs. Our neighbour was phoned by another doctor in the practice at the new health centre telling her that she has nearly killed herself using two drugs that have been prescribed to her by her doctor that combat each other and should never be taken together. Eileen
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

EileenDavid wrote:Our neighbour was phoned by another doctor in the practice at the new health centre telling her that she has nearly killed herself using two drugs that have been prescribed to her by her doctor that combat each other and should never be taken together. Eileen
When I worked in a Boots pharmacy in the late 1960s all pharmacists and doctors used a booklet called `MIMS' which listed every branded drug and contained everything that we needed to know about which drug shouldn't be used with which. It still exists but I think it's online now. There should be no excuse for any doctor who has records on the patient ever giving them two drugs known to interact dangerously. In those days, almost all prescriptions were made up by the local pharmacist who knew the patient well and provided a second line of defence. We would phone the GP and say are you sure that you want us to give Mrs Bloggs a bottle of A when she's taking tablets of B?"
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

I have a lovely relationship with my pharmacist at Boots & she always tells me what is what when I start some new medication (which is frequently). Happily recommend them
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Thanks for that Tiz but the neighbour uses the same pharmacy and this wasn't pointed out to her. We had a lovely pharmacist and when he retired it took him ages before he found a replacement he thought would be suitable unfortunately he isn't in a convenient spot but should I need any perscriptions in the future I will be going to him.

I went to Asda pharmacy with my last perscription for 2 types of eye drops after my op. The pharmacy gave me one lot said they didn't do the others and gave me my perscription back no customer service whatsoever, Boots also told me they didn't have them but would get them for me within 48 hours. Eileen
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I have to admit pharmacists get things wrong too. For prescriptions we use the pharmacy in our local town's surgery because it's automated, you can just phone and ask for a repeat etc. But recently they gave me a repeat blood pressure tablet prescription and it's lucky I looked the at label - they were five times the usual strength I have! When I took it back I didn't even get an apology - when I worked at Boots we would have been shocked, terribly embarrassed and very apologetic if we'd done anything like that. (Ah the bad old days, eh!)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks to OG I always read the labels on my Metformin to check they are the right ones.
Enjoying the improvement in my knees as weight slowly comes off. Of course it might have happened anyway....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Oh for the bad old days! Stanley at least you are trying to rid the pain in your knees without medication I think thats an achievement. Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Eileen, experience has taught me 'pain-killers' actually make my pains worse so I don't take them. I've always believed that if you have a pain your body is telling you there's something wrong and it's up to you to listen to it and try to find the cause. Losing weight to ease stress on my knees is a no-brainer! My friend Susi in California once told me that the body never lies and I believe her.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have a look at this LINK. It's come to my notice because yesterday my daughter Margaret had the first operation in the process of fitting a cochlear implant. At the moment the titanium terminal on the side of her head is covered by a plastic cap and they will wait for this to heal before going forward with the last two stages. I kid her that the Borg are modifying her! She is OK and very excited as by mid-January she will be able to have it switched on. Wonderful!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Very exciting. I find what they can do these days is awesome.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cath, I'm sure Margaret would agree! She is very excited.... She's over the initial discomfort of having a hole drilled in her head and the titanium press stud fitted.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Sounds painful Stanley but the results will be worth it I am sure. It'sa amazing what they can achieve these days. Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

She tells me the pain wasn't too bad but then she is used to very severe earache. Can you remember Jack Ashley having a similar procedure? Things have advanced since then but I can remember how delighted he was even then.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

My GP appears to have a problem with issuing my latest medication prescription.

He phoned me and asked me, then agreed to write it out, but have been into surgery twice without any success

So today, having downgraded the dosage myself to help me come off them, they run out.

Written a letter, not holding my breath. No point in complaining :confused:
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Got my appointment for my MRI scan on my leg - New Year's Eve! Dr has given me one month's supply of anti biotics today (just finished 2 wees on them) I am getting fed up of this now - it has gone on for 12 months.
Say only a little but say it well.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Moh wrote: (just finished 2 wees on them).
Does this make them more effective? :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Oh dear Moh, I'm sure you meant to write weeks, but .... :laugh:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny isn't it Moh, leg ulcers have been a problem as long as I can remember. You'd think that by now they would have more efficient treatments for them. Mind you, they do eventually heal and I wish you well with yours, it must be a bummer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Phone call from surgery, prescription ready :surprised:

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”