MEDICAL MATTERS

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Tripps »

I took an interest in this because one of my lads had a very bad reaction to peicillin when he was young, and it was decided he was allergic. This tells you all, about it. Sounds credible - I know it's the Daily Mail, but the source is the Mayo Clinic.

Penicillin allergy

I told him about it and urged him to be tested - it might be useful one day. Of course he hasn't . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Reading records properly, that makes a change, Sally has NO ASPRIN in large red letters with double underline to reiterate the point at the top of her medical records. It doesn't stop the docs giving it her though, she can tell within minutes if any pain relief has it in, she gets pins and needles and swelling of the lips and fingers, can be quite distressing as she once thought they were going to have to cut all her rings off. I think in that instance they they whacked her with an IV fed anti histamine then moved to a different opiate.

For myself, I am glad that Doctor Flemings magic pills still work for me, some of the modern synthesised AB's have had some very peculiar effects on me when given as an alternative. I have not trusted red pills since some tiny little things made my eyes wobble so much that I fell over if I tried to walk. :surprised:
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

When I was 11 and in hospital after an accident I was given too much penicillin and came out in a rash of blotches, swollen face & two black eyes with the instructions not to give again. I was transferred to Bagulay EMS Hospital for skin grafting and the first thing they were going to give me was penicillin - with the wisdom of an 11 year old I told them I hadn't to have it, when they read the notes I was right. I have had it many times since and had no rection - it was obviuosly an overdose.
Say only a little but say it well.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I remember vomiting as a child after being given penicillin but I don't know of any warning in my records. It could have been due to my granny giving me other stuff to try and get the penicillin down! Ian's little red pills affecting his eyes reminds me of my mum getting double vision after being prescribed something that I suspect was nurofen or similar.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Mine were AB's given after being passed from pillar to post between doctor and dentist. Orbital dental X-ray finally diagnosed a massive sinus infection initially presented as toothache. Doc gave me the little red devils which properly buggered me up, I still had the pain but couldn't stand up either. It was much fun making my way across town back to the surgery. As usual Dr Flemings finally sorted me out. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember when Dr Duggilby cured my acute Cystitis with one course of ABs she told me that there were so many organisms that could cause urinary tract infections that finding the right one like that was largely a matter of luck if no sample analysis had been done and even then it was problematic. She sent me for a full inspection under general anaesthetic and they could find no trace of infection and I have never had it again (touches wood and crosses himself!). I have the deepest sympathy for anyone who gets it! It was the worst pain I have ever had, when it struck it simply dropped me.
My fingers are crossed for Col.......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

He is improving thanks, just tired out now. :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

That's good to hear Wendy, make sure he doesn't get back to the grindstone too early.

I have an appointment with the practice nurse this afternoon for a BP check. According to my readings it is still around the average for me, I'll take my last few home readings for her.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You reminded me it's a while since I checked mine. I'll do it after my walk. It was up slightly during the stress of Janet but last time I checked it was normal. I shall make sure.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My BP was a bit high on her machine, well higher than what mine normally reads. Could be something to do with the fact I had just come down from my roof! I took a selection of my readings and my average. She has still asked me to do double AM and PM readings for 5 days, (while at rest), fat chance of that while I am building a kitchen and there's my daily repeat exercise physio regime to contend with as well! Anyway, I did the first one this morning and I have dropped 10 points on systolic since her reading yesterday.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's common Ian, white coat syndrome. My readings are always higher at the surgery and they take my home readings for the record. Every couple of years I take mine in and compare with theirs and it's always been accurate. I did mine yesterday and it was 134/75, well within normal range for me and no sweat. (I usually do it after I have returned from my morning walk)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I kicked Jack's ball too hard last night and missed it, kicking him instead! (Only had slippers on so not serious) That was bad enough but it woke up the recent injury at the top of my leg! Old age isn't for cissies, I must learn not to do things like this!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Life is a constant learning curve..... Hurting my leg the other day got me to thinking. I have a habit when I go into the front room for evening TV of playing with Jack by tapping his ball about to keep him entertained. Because I am sat on the sofa this is a sideways movement. My leg hurt after the incident the other day so I persuaded Jack to drop the ball on the sofa next to me when he brought it back and for the last few nights I have been doing this and tossing the ball into the hall for him. I realised yesterday that not only was my right leg fully recovered from the trapped nerve but that the pain in my right knee that strikes every now and again without warning was absent as well! Is it as simple as that? Have I been damaging my knee by repetitive sideways kicks? It's looking like it and I shall report back!
My point is that we all get into habits and they aren't necessarily good for us. I have known for a long time that sitting positions are important. Ever had to work for long periods on a table that is too low? A bit of thought can be a good thing. The body never lies!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I decided it was time to flip the mattress, and give everything a deep Hoover. I dragged out the bedside chests and chased the dust bunnies...all clean now. It is always a big job as we have a King bed.
Feeling it now, but just a mild ache so no specific damage done or muscles pulled. I shall be right as rain tomorrow. I've been working out on a Pilates Ball on a daily basis for the last 3 months...great for strengthening back muscles!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know what you mean about the mattress Maz! That one of mine weighs a ton and I have to be very careful turning it. One of the things I did was put a sheet of plywood between the sprung divan and the mattress. Stiffens the mattress up a bit and makes top to toe swivelling a lot easier.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Not sure if this should be here or in Household tips, probably both.
We had a skills update meeting at the hospital last week. We all know about the hand sanitizing gels and those volunteers who work in wards and/or with patients and their possessions etc have to use the gels the same as the medical staff do. One new thing we learnt was the gels don't protect you from or clean away Gastro germs. For that you have to wash your hands with good old soap and water.
Worth knowing.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Uncertain, do they mean bacteria ? or viruses ? that these gels / alcohol washes are supposed to remove/reduce? Note the gels are normally at ward entrances , soap and water normally in the loos
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

The gels kill 99% of germs picked up on your hands.
A little later... I'm talking about volunteers touching bedframes, door handles, lift buttons, some equipment, nurses stations, stores , wheelchairs etc.
Volunteers aren't allowed to touch patients or go into treatment or isolation area where the staff have wear gowns or face masks.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Like Domestos, its probably 100% but they cannot guarantee just in case something new comes up that it wont.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, that doesn't surprise me, about gastro germs. The beauty of soap and water is that it has the scouring action of the rinse water as well. I use old fashioned soaps, I am on Wright's Coal Tar at the moment. Incidentally I heard a doctor advising on how thoroughly you should wash, he said that you should be rubbing the soap in for at least the same amount of time it takes to sing a verse of the National Anthem. I use 'Oh God our help in ages past' myself......
I think I was right about my knee but have realised that now I have to be careful about throwing his ball as an alternative. It's tending to waken up the old war wound in my shoulder! It ain't easy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ever had "Ants in your Pants"?
It happened to me yesterday! We were returning from a walk and I stood for a moment on a grass verge. Next think I knew, I was getting bitten all over under my clothing. I ran inside stripping off all my clothes and slapping dozens of ants crawling all over me. ( Twas the stuff of horror movies! :surprised: ). They were even in my hair. (shudder).
Febby has never seen me move so fast!
I walked on the road today instead of the grass verge...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know the feeling Maz! I once sat for a while in one spot while I had a drink and a sandwich while my mates and I were out on a long bike ride. Much hilarity all round when I found I had been sat on and ant's nest. To be honest, I didn't see the funny side of it until much later!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 03:47 Ever had "Ants in your Pants"?
It happened to me yesterday! We were returning from a walk and I stood for a moment on a grass verge. Next think I knew, I was getting bitten all over under my clothing. I ran inside stripping off all my clothes and slapping dozens of ants crawling all over me. ( Twas the stuff of horror movies! :surprised: ). They were even in my hair. (shudder).
Febby has never seen me move so fast!
I walked on the road today instead of the grass verge...
Well not ants but I did get bitten once in a very sensitive place whilst stopping behind a hedge in France for a comfort stop.....is the phrase they now use. Ouch ouch ouch.
If you keep searching you will find it
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oh my goodness you poor things, all of you. I've had to brush ants off myself today as well, they have been very busy on my front path for 2 days. In 9 1/2 years here I've never noticed this behaviour before. I remember when I was 11yrs old and having to climb over a concrete water pipe (about a metre high and much rounder) on my way home from school each day. One day I threw my school bag over, clambered over the pipe and landed in a Bull Ants Nest. Very nasty, they were all over me!! I made it home very quickly, haha. I remember too (in about 1980 ) when my 4yr old neighbour saw me in my front garden and popped over to say Hello, we were stood on the driveway and suddenly he was covered in ants. I stripped him off , took his hand and with his clothes in my other hand took him home, oh dear haha.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 02:38 Cathy, that doesn't surprise me, about gastro germs. The beauty of soap and water is that it has the scouring action of the rinse water as well. I use old fashioned soaps, I am on Wright's Coal Tar at the moment. Incidentally I heard a doctor advising on how thoroughly you should wash, he said that you should be rubbing the soap in for at least the same amount of time it takes to sing a verse of the National Anthem. I use 'Oh God our help in ages past' myself......
I think I was right about my knee but have realised that now I have to be careful about throwing his ball as an alternative. It's tending to waken up the old war wound in my shoulder! It ain't easy!
This issue is far more complex and to do with the structure of different types of bacteria and wether they form spores or not. Similarly different types of viruses are more vulnerable to different antiseptics and disinfectants and the actual killing mechanisms
(The same applies to antibiotics too). In my life before being a teacher I was an industrial bacteriologist with a company that manufactured disinfectants and antiseptics. My main role was to identify what killed what, and how quickly. My secondary role was to help identify the flaws in the national testing techniques And try to simulate more realistic situations in the laboratory testing methods. It was afascinating but somewhat repetitive job. However one thing it taught me was that there are few kill all chemicals that can be used on the human body because they will be destructive to skin cells. It is much easier to 100% disinfect things rather than bacteria on peoples skins. It is also easier in a clean environment so soap and water has its placebut may not be effective by itself. Get too harsh and lesions will develop on the skill which themselves may become infected and harbour some of the more serious of bacteria which may then need to antibiotics to clear...not a good idea. People eczema and dermatitis are most often affected like this. In fact the harsher antiseptics can trigger off these conditions. Often the lesions occur because the disinfectant or soap or antiseptic often strip out the natural oils on the skin which them selves act as a natural antiseptic on the skin.

Remember if it smells strong it does not mean it is. Pine fluid is not a good disinfectant but it smells like it is. The original Dettol was very poor. Savlon has for years been one of the best. We made iodophors i.e. Iodine based which really were good but stained everything yellow and was deactivated by dirt. One of our products was used to disinfect the moon dust when it came back to earth. Another was the nationally approved disinfectant for foot and mouth disease, but we found it was the extreme acidic ph that was the real effective ingredient and you wouldn't want to put that on your hands!
If you keep searching you will find it

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”