MEDICAL MATTERS

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 10 May 2021, 07:48 The Consultants have a very good idea what's going on and if they were unduly worried the biopsy would have been fast tracked for examination. Slow is often good news.
:good: I'm glad it's not just me who thinks like that. It's just the not knowing...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I always find it amazing how much men worry about their “bits”🤣
They don’t always worry about their wive’s “bits” in the same way. Are they even aware how much we are probed and prodded over the years? Not to mention pregnancy and giving birth, changing shape entirely and nourishing another being etc.
Suddenly there is a problem with “his bits” and it is the end of the world!
Sorry...
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

You don't even know me so bugger off and leave me alone.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

👍 will do, but think about it.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Unacceptable comment in the circumstances Maz.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I accept your comment Wendy as I know you are doing it tough. But...if we live with anger in our hearts, we know it does no good at all to those around us, especially when we raise stress among those we love before a diagnosis. We chose to not tell our kids etc until my husband was sure of a diagnosis. Then we could tell them, with happy hearts, that Dad will be fine.
And... if he wasn’t going to be fine...we would have worked out OUR agreed plan, before telling the kids etc.
My husband found out he had Bladder Cancer on Christmas Eve. Tough, but we got through Christmas with the kids without falling apart, and they never knew until later.
Sorry if that is unacceptable to you, Wendy. ( but you must know I think about your circumstances every day. You choose not to share it publicly but you are in my thoughts.)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Nothing to do with me Maz, you made a personal attack on Kev with no justification at all. That's what is not acceptable on this site.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Used to do prostate biopsies, 20 a week at least. Sorry if I am not that precious about them. To me, they were terribly “everyday”.
I meant no offence. ( I think folk put a mystery around them that is unwarranted).
What did I say that was so offensive, Wendy? I need to know...I don’t want to re-offend.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You need to understand that I have been up more people’s bums than the average person.... :laugh5:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

What I found offensive was your insinuation that I have no respect, love or sympathy for my wife.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I apologise profusely if I gave that impression, Big Kev. ( with the greatest of honesty...Sorry
( I meant it as a general comment between the investigations women go through in their life as opposed to men)

No love...I meant no personal offence and I am sorry if you felt it. I wish you the best of health. Truly.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Just as an example, I can’t imagine any more than a nod if I told my husband “ I had a PAP smear today” or “I had a Mammogram today”. It is just one of those things....isn’t it?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It may be like that in your house, not all men are the same as yours.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ok...must be an Australian thing...we are a bit laid back, I admit.
We don’t tend to worry much...I suppose...
Possibly this is a difference between us, but we tend to live on a positive note here ( like...if you don’t die from it, you will live)
( have had two husbands and can’t imagine either one of them ever worrying about me medically! Not even when I ruptured a disc, which is possibly the worst thing that happened to me...hubby just wanted me home as his cooking was dreadful and I needed to get home and cook good meals again].
I know he loves me. He told me 25 years ago, when he married me :laugh5:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'll say no more and put it down to 'cultural differences'.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Well I was thinking how supportive everyone is on this site, male or female when their are health or any other issues. I am not sure why this negativity was started. As a female , who prefers male doctors because I find them more supportive and concerned than female doctors, although there are always exceptions . I do not identify with some of the things that have been said here

Hope you are feeling better Kev.
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 10 May 2021, 10:25 Just as an example, I can’t imagine any more than a nod if I told my husband “ I had a PAP smear today” or “I had a Mammogram today”. It is just one of those things....isn’t it?
Then you are unlucky
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 10 May 2021, 12:08 Well I was thinking how supportive everyone is on this site, male or female when their are health or any other issues. I am not sure why this negativity was started. As a female , who prefers male doctors because I find them more supportive and concerned than female doctors, although there are always exceptions . I do not identify with some of the things that have been said here

Hope you are feeling better Kev.
Thank you Sue, still a bit tired but that's probably 3 days of just eating porridge :biggrin2: other than that I feel much better. I shared my experience, to date, hoping to highlight it can happen to anyone (well, only 'blokes' when it comes to prostates). To be honest I never even realised anything was amiss until very recently, it happens so gradually and I put a lot of it down to my age (my children, and grandchildren, remind me that 60 is ancient). The biopsy, although not a recommended leisure activity, wasn't anywhere near what I expected (they never mentioned 12 samples until I was laying on my side with my undercrackers around my ankles) but after the first bit of local anaesthetic I stopped gritting my teeth :biggrin2: Despite having preventative antibiotics prior to the procedure I still picked up a UTI, I must be a delicate little flower :biggrin2:
I still have the results appointment to attend but at least no 'rubber glove jobs' on that day. On the whole the moral support on the site has been very encouraging. Hopefully by posting on here I can prompt people to get things checked out by caring professionals and remove some of the stigma around men's health.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thanks Kev for being so open and honest. Bob and i had a little chat this morning. Our next door neighbour has prostate cancer, as did the neighbour who livedthere before him. Not a nice disease. Our present neighbour is undergoing a trial treatment which has had good reports. The husband on my best friend at university had prostate cancer and a successful operation and treatment some 5 years ago. Bobs Dad died of it. I think it is a disease that we all need to be aware pf as it can affect the whole family in oneway or another.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The MRI showed the anomaly was just in the prostate so hopefully it can be sorted.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm reading Whispering Bob Harris's autobiography on my Kindle and he has just (this lunchtime) been diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer. He described the biopsy process in detail.....ouch! The book is otherwise incredibly boring and long winded but it was free!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

60 is not ancient..... :biggrin2: (It's young in my book!)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 10 May 2021, 13:56 60 is not ancient..... :biggrin2: (It's young in my book!)
Apparently it is when you're in your 30s :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 10 May 2021, 13:34 I'm reading Whispering Bob Harris's autobiography on my Kindle and he has just (this lunchtime) been diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer. He described the biopsy process in detail.....ouch! The book is otherwise incredibly boring and long winded but it was free!!
I didn't want to describe the biopsy process in too much detail for fear of putting anyone off the idea :biggrin2: To be honest after the initial dose of local anaesthetic it's just someone rummaging around. If anyone has any real concerns you can opt for a general anaesthetic, even being a 'soft southern jessie' I still went with the local. I'm sure a hardy northerner would just have a strong brew and extra gravy on his chips 😎
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 10 May 2021, 13:57
Stanley wrote: 10 May 2021, 13:56 60 is not ancient..... :biggrin2: (It's young in my book!)
Apparently it is when you're in your 30s :biggrin2:
Aye, and the younger ones won't believe you when you say that it only seems a blink of an eye since you were 30 as well. :extrawink:
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”