MEDICAL MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

I was immediately reminded of the late Peter Cooke.... Remember his sermon? "For he was an hairy man". :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 12 May 2022, 03:03 I was immediately reminded of the late Peter Cooke.... Remember his sermon? "For he was an hairy man". :biggrin2:
Was it not Alan Bennett's vicar?

Genesis 27:11: "But my brother Esau is an hairy man, but I am a smooth man."
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My left foot, as well as being fat, is also smooth today :biggrin2:
20220512_135356.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you're right Kev.
I checked at the pharmacy yesterday on my Alogliptin prescription and once more there was no sign of it so I went to the Park Road surgery where I was surprised to find it and the reception open as normal. I put my problem to the lady and she explained for the first time what the root of the problem is. As This medication is a trial run and the effect will be assessed during the first week in June it has never been made a repeat prescription and so has to be requested anew every month. Nobody has bothered to explain that to me and I thanked her. Later I received a text to say that it is now on repeat and a prescription has been sent to the pharmacy. Gott sei dank!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I have to request my repeat prescriptions every 2 months in the NHS app. Wasn't aware of it being available, at the chemist, without a request. I'll have to look into that.

My leg is less swollen today and doesn't feel anywhere near as tight, still have a fat foot though. The blockage must be clearing :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I also have repeat prescription as does Sally but we both have to re submit when due. Sally does hers manually , I use the MyGP app which is linked to the NHS app
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"My leg is less swollen today and doesn't feel anywhere near as tight, still have a fat foot though. The blockage must be clearing"
That's good news Kev, let's hope the improvement continues.
My main prescription is for Metformin and Ramipril for my diabetes. They are at present on 12 month assessment and I don't have to do anything about them because the end of that period triggers blood tests and renewal. The Alogliptin was a trial and not on repeat and this lot is the last before I am reassessed for it at the beginning of June. Nevertheless, I am told by the surgery it is now on repeat.
I'm expecting the call from Well this morning. If I don't get it I shall just roll up and ask for it as I know they have been sent the script.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I like this approach...a simple method using a harmless substance, iron oxide, and detected safely based on magnetism....
`Breast cancer 'metal detector' recommended to NHS' LINK
`A noisy gadget that works in a similar way to a metal detector is being recommended in draft guidance for the NHS to help spot and treat breast cancer that may have spread. The Sentimag probe detects magnetised liquid, called Magtrace, injected into the tissue around the cancer. It tracks the fluid's journey - bleeping as it moves over the skin - to show where cancer may have seeded. A surgeon can then sample or biopsy the region to check if cancer is present.'...
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds fairly benign Peter, better than dangerous radiation or chemicals.
Re. my Aloglyptin.... The chemist has failed again, and I have taken the last pill. I shall have to call in this morning to see what is happening (if anything!) I think a large part of the problem is that Well pharmacy are having major staffing problems. I know that their prescriptions are being dispensed at another location and brought in each day.
I don't know if this is typical but pharmacy staff in Barlick are almost 100% Asian and I wonder if our new 'sovereignty' under Brexit is affecting recruitment to pharmacies just as it has done in agricultural labour.
[I had a furtle and here's what I found.... LINK.]
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Professor Sir Jonathon Van-Tam (Almost)

Just when I've almost decided it's over - I came across this. Triple jabbed probably, and out of season as well. Bad luck.

The words ironic and poetic seem to feature heavily in the comments. - I wish him well. He'll be fine. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 18 May 2022, 03:47 That sounds fairly benign Peter, better than dangerous radiation or chemicals.
Re. my Aloglyptin.... The chemist has failed again, and I have taken the last pill. I shall have to call in this morning to see what is happening (if anything!) I think a large part of the problem is that Well pharmacy are having major staffing problems. I know that their prescriptions are being dispensed at another location and brought in each day.
I don't know if this is typical but pharmacy staff in Barlick are almost 100% Asian and I wonder if our new 'sovereignty' under Brexit is affecting recruitment to pharmacies just as it has done in agricultural labour.
[I had a furtle and here's what I found.... LINK.]
I've never had an issue with Whitworth's pharmacy, or the repeat prescription service. I've just ordered another 56 days worth and the NHS app will tell me when it's been sent over, it's usually the next day. I'll give them a day to bag it up and collect it on Friday. The pharmacist phoned me earlier in the week to see how I was getting on with the anticoagulant.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Science or Medical ?

The next epidemic - Monkeypox ?
Although the Virus is claimed not to be serious - and spread is by much closer contact (which on a crowded London transport network might be difficult to avoid if persons with the disease are not caring about other people ), including skin to skin. One wonders what long-term effects this virus has on the body, as yet another mainly African originating disease not much research has been done on it, other than some treaments and vaccines against , I am not aware of long-term studies.

One recalls the Old Testament Bible, where poxes (diseases of the skin) were separated (crudely) by the Priests (who did not appear to treat the diseases ), into Clean and Unclean ones ( presumably as the odd blister/ rash sometimes is from an external source that is not contagious - while others are contagious - though it was the appearence and pus that seems to be the criteria - which may not be medically correct).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, I'd like to stress that this slip up wasn't the fault of Well. The surgery admitted finally that they had forgotten to take the script over to the chemist. They even had an excuse for that.... it wasn't digital. As soon as Well got the script they processed it and I shall pick the pills up today.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 19 May 2022, 02:50 Kev, I'd like to stress that this slip up wasn't the fault of Well. The surgery admitted finally that they had forgotten to take the script over to the chemist. They even had an excuse for that.... it wasn't digital. As soon as Well got the script they processed it and I shall pick the pills up today.....
Keep us posted, it would be good to hear something positive about Well's. They've have a lot of bad comments on the local Facebook page, mainly due to not having prescriptions available to collect.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 19 May 2022, 07:53
Stanley wrote: 19 May 2022, 02:50 Kev, I'd like to stress that this slip up wasn't the fault of Well. The surgery admitted finally that they had forgotten to take the script over to the chemist. They even had an excuse for that.... it wasn't digital. As soon as Well got the script they processed it and I shall pick the pills up today.....
Keep us posted, it would be good to hear something positive about Well's. They've have a lot of bad comments on the local Facebook page, mainly due to not having prescriptions available to collect.
I was in Barlick at lunchtime today and my prescription was ready for collection at Whitworth's. :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I can get my foot in my slipper today :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

:good: On the mend then Kev.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Looking that way Ian. Got a follow up MRI scan tomorrow for the prostate issue that took me out this time last year. Had the follow up consultation on Wednesday, the MRI unit at Burnley called this morning. Can't beat that from the NHS :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It all sounds good Kev.
As for Well, they texted me on Thursday that my meds were ready and I picked them up yesterday. More staff in the shop but only one doing anything useful for customers. They had a proper pharmacist on duty which is an improvement. Little doubt they are experiencing staff shortages.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Big Kev wrote: 19 May 2022, 17:59 I can get my foot in my slipper today :biggrin2:
Well, that's a good start. Now can you get the foot on your swollen leg into its slipper? :extrawink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 20 May 2022, 09:07
Big Kev wrote: 19 May 2022, 17:59 I can get my foot in my slipper today :biggrin2:
Well, that's a good start. Now can you get the foot on your swollen leg into its slipper? :extrawink:
:biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Further improvement on the fat leg, I can see the muscle definition in my calf now and the ankle and foot swelling has reduced further.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 20 May 2022, 10:32 Further improvement on the fat leg, I can see the muscle definition in my calf now and the ankle and foot swelling has reduced further.
May be joining you on the rat poison. My leg is still swollen and doesn't seem to be responding to antibiotics. Blood test this morning to look at clotting factors, whatever they are? Must admit I'm getting first class attention. Well done Colne health entre & NHS.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Are we all falling to pieces? Is it something in the water? Give me my due, at least mine was clear cut and obvious! He's got an extra hole in his head...... :biggrin2:
I wish you both a rapid diagnosis, treatment and improvement!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 20 May 2022, 11:32
Big Kev wrote: 20 May 2022, 10:32 Further improvement on the fat leg, I can see the muscle definition in my calf now and the ankle and foot swelling has reduced further.
May be joining you on the rat poison. My leg is still swollen and doesn't seem to be responding to antibiotics. Blood test this morning to look at clotting factors, whatever they are? Must admit I'm getting first class attention. Well done Colne health entre & NHS.
I had a D-dimer blood test (yes, I had to Google it) to identify the clot, results were back in just over an hour. Can't fault the NHS so far.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”