MEDICAL MATTERS

plaques
Donor

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by plaques »

Colne Health Centre have said its far too early and ring back after september. They also confirmed that ear syringing / irrigation is not being done but may be reintroduced again in the future.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I haven't heard a thing yet. It's usually a bit later I think but if I haven't heard soon I shall call the surgery and enquire. I agree with Peter, more important than ever this year!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I think I got mine on October last year. Well formerly the Co Op pharmacy have said they are now taking bookings for this years flu vaccine if you don't get one at the surgery. Will be interesting to see the uptake this year. Apparently only 50% of those invited turn up, the mind boggles at this really! 30 seconds to give you a fighting chance against a killer disease, no brainier but obviously not to some folk, first in the queue if they would let me. I wonder if any of the anti-vaxer's have regrets for not having the jab when they are taking their last breath if they succumb?
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Don't wait for the surgery to contact you about influenza vaccination, they've got enough on their hands at the moment with a different virus. We weren't contacted, I saw a note on the surgery's web site saying how it's extra important this year to get vaccinated so we phoned them and were booked in immediately. They're desperate to get people vaccinated against influenza because the NHS won't be able to cope if a lot of people get it this winter. There's even greater concern about those who have health problems yet don't turn up for the vaccination. Many of them are young and therefore think they don't need the jab even though their health condition warrants it. Another problem is that there are people who claim it doesn't work, it's not effective. I think this is due to them confusing true influenza with a bad cold - what they will call `flu'. So they get a bad cold and then tell each other `I've just had flu, the flu jab doesn't work'. It's time the medical professions and the news media stopped using the word flu when they're talking about influenza. LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've taken note and will act on it next week. So many 'normal channels' are breaking down as public services generally crumble under our current deadleg government.
I agree with everything you say about the vaccination and bugger the Anti-vaxers!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hubby gets his free, but I have to pay for mine...£10 at the chemist. ( just walk in any time you want...no waiting).
Hubby was fine, but I had a sore arm for about 4 days, with a red patch about 4 inches across.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If I don't get a satisfactory outcome with the surgery I may go down the chemist route, it's free for us there as well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

We all know that the choice of which influenza virus is a bit of a guess depending what's been going round in other countries. The typical components of a vaccine are..

Formaldehyde used to inactivate toxins from viruses and bacteria.
Thimerosal safeguards against contamination, and it is only present in multi-dose vials.
Aluminum salts act as adjuvants and impart stronger immune response.
Gelatin is present as a stabilizer.
Antibiotics, such as gentamicin or neomycin are present in the flu vaccine to keep bacteria from growing.

Personally I've never had any adverse reactions to the injection and would encourage people to take it up but its easy to understand why there may be some mild discomfort from it.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Plaques, have a look at the `Ingredients' box at the bottom of this Oxford University web page... LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Very good and informative link Tiz. :good:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree Ian. Where else would I have got such good, trustworthy information. That applies to all of it. Nice to have my general approval of all vaccines validated. Every anti-vaccer ought to be confronted with that and made to read it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I doubt if it would make a jot of difference Stanley as they cannot seem to process simple logic. That MMR bloke has a lot to answer for! I wonder how many kids he killed? With regard to Covid I reckon in a couple of years or maybe some time next year if we are lucky. We will have reached the stage where the sensible survivors will have an annual vaccine available and will have to learn to live with the disease like we do with influenza. I also think that society will not recover to what we regarded as "normal" in the next five or could be ten years.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Andrew Wakefield is still active in the US, helping the anti-vaxers... Wakefield
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The man is a plague on society.
I agree Ian. The only thing I would question is your time scale. Some of the consequences of the changes we are having forced on us today, largely as knee-jerk reactions by an inept government, will be with us for far longer.
In medical terms the relationship with GPs and general health care is going to change profoundly, we can see it happening already. Who would have thought an old Luddite like me would even consider going to a pharmacy for the Flu Jab? Their long campaign to raise the status of their profession is coming to pass. The days of the old 'chemist' are gone.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Fret ye not (was that Frankie Howard?), `they' are going to use algorithms to diagnose our health problems. Whatever could go wrong? :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember when I had Brucellosis and went to Arthur Morrison to get signed off sick so I could go back to work. He got me in front of the mirror, pulled my bottom eyelid down and showed me it was white inside and not a normal red. He told me when that turns red you can go back but not until. Could an algorithm do that?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There's a front page story in the Telegraph saying millions of people will have to wait until December to get their influenza vaccination because the programme has been extended to a much wider part of the population. Don't wait for them to contact you, be pro-active and tell them you want it asap!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have been remiss and done nothing about it yet. I shall rectify that today! Thanks for reminding me Peter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remembered to do something about the flu jab. I rang the surgery and after questioning the lady at length she admitted that 'letters would not be sent until late September and she couldn't say when mine would arrive'. I thanked her and withdrew. I rang the Well pharmacy and asked them the question and the lady told me they were starting the jabs on 14th September and said I could call in any time but would have to wait for a slot, or book. I booked and she gave me an appointment on Thursday 17th September at 15:30. As easy as that. I'm afraid the surgery aren't showing up very well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Well done! :good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On the contrary, thanks to all of you for nudging me. I look forward to Thursday 17 September!
I suspect I would have had to wait a lot longer if I'd stayed on the surgery route.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Can't think what the reason is but my back has bitten me this morning. I broke a rule and took two aspirin, I may settle for an easy day. Backs can be a bit of a mystery sometimes!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Back is improved. I shall regard it with suspicion and have another quiet day. I am beginning to wonder if the cause was too much hand sawing and filing in the shed. Old age is a bugger at times!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I am beginning to wonder if the cause was too much hand sawing and filing in the shed. Old age is a bugger at times!
For crumblies. No matter what you do today tomorrow it aches.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Unfortunately there is a hell of lot of truth in that statement Ken! I am having another easy day....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”