MEDICAL MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

Perhaps they've decided to omit me this year and sent a hit man to run me over instead......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The flu vaccine for the golden oldies is adjuvanted trivalent inactivated flu vaccine . the adjuvanted bit is to boost your immune system. Younger people get the basc TIV. Link.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 02:10 Perhaps they've decided to omit me this year and sent a hit man to run me over instead......
Don't assume they've decided to omit you. The surgery left my dad on year and he didn't get it until I created a fuss and only then in January.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Early days in the program yet Stanley. I usually get mine a couple of weeks later than my appointment this year.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We've just had our flu jabs. The nurse told us about the new vaccine having the adjuvant and said our arms might hurt a bit. She took my blood pressure - 120/50.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They'll get round to me. I can always mention it to Hassan when I see him on October 9th with my pee sample.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We haven't noticed any side effects of the new flu vaccine.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Went to the docs this morning, second appointment slot to see Hassan. I asked him about my flu jab and he says I would be better with it than without so I will attend on Saturday unless I get an emergency slot for my op this week. Likewise for my abdominal Aortic scan, might as well attend if it can be fitted in with the main event.

He has the notes from Mr Anderson and has given me the prescription for the anti-seizure medication suggested. He says the major side effect may be drowsiness and if this turns out to be too limiting I should stop them. I dropped the prescription into the chemists on my way home, will collect it later. Last few days, I have only had occasional feeling of altered sensation down my right hand side, non have developed into the full symptoms.

Post has been today and I have nothing more from the hospital.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Don't miss the chance for an aortic scan if you can make it, Ian. When we lived in the village there was a man, tough and fit as a fiddle, who was up a tree cutting off branches. The lady of the house came out and found him slumped over a branch. The ambulance came quickly and they got him down and off to hospital in the nick of time. That was his aorta.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

According to the invite I got, if you have to cancel you can rearrange any time that is more convenient as it's done as a drop in clinic. The Mitsubishi ultrasound and doppler scanning equipment is very versatile. I have already had three different areas checked out with the kit. I will be rocking up on time if it fits in with the rest of my schedule. :smile:

It amazes me how many folk (mainly blokes) who don't turn up or partake in the screening programs offered. Anyone over 65 can request a scan and why not? Since I turned 60 I know through the various programs offered that I am in pretty good nick (present invader accepted) which is very nice to know. The screening programs are there to catch stuff early so why wouldn't you want to partake, most of the tests if not done at home like the bowel screening are only a minor inconvenience of a few minutes out of your life, it's a no brainier to me. Ignorance is not bliss if you die prematurely from a treatable condition.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 09:47 Anyone over 65 can request a scan and why not?
I'm with you all the way PanBiker. but I didn't know about that one. Must ask when I get my flu jab.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

From the information leaflet that was sent with my appointment:

Who can be screened?

The NHS invite all men for screening in the year they turn 65.

What about men aged over 65?

Men aged over 65 who have not been screened before can contact their local service to arrange a test.

My appointment is at Yarnspinners PHCC, Nelson.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's called abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) screening, Plaques.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Never heard of that one.
I was talking to my mate who was having the long lasting migraines. He told me he was in hospital for five days last week. Turns out he has two bleeds in his brain either side of his head. They have treated him with drugs and he is to go back in a week. If they are still as big they'll keep him in and operate to relieve the pressure.....
And here's me worrying about a trace of blood in one pee sample!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sally contacted Mr Anderson's secretary today to see if I was any nearer to a date for my surgery. Apparently he is fully booked with other emergencies and patients for all of October, so it looks like I have a few weeks to wait yet unless there is a cancellation.

On the up side, I have not had any symptoms for a week. I took my appointment to see Hassan this last Tuesday and he has the notes regarding the suggested epilepsy medication which he has prescribed. I have the tablets and will give them a whirl if my symptoms reappear. I will attend for my flu jab on Saturday and get sorted with the aorta scan over at Nelson.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm ignoring all medical test results until I have to see Hassan on October 9th. I am very jaundiced about tests at the moment! I know! But instead of marvelling at how well I am for the mileage they are looking for problems.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report on the failure of the supply of Epipens, the adrenalin injector that has been in the news lately with the sad death of the young lady from anaphylactic shock caused by an allergy to Sesame Seed. What worries me is that the shortage appears to be the result of increased demand caused by the increasing number of people with allergies.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Haven't they found that the needles on the Epipens are a bit short? They are 18mm apparently and should really be 25mm to allow penetration into muscle, seems like a strange (and major) oversight in design.

Had my flu jab yesterday, 3 clinics on the go, a bit crowded on the single corridor! Just a tad sore in the muscle but no other effects. Still no reappearance of my symptoms, doing well, not taken any of the epilepsy medication yet, no point pushing pills just for the sake of it. They can have some nasty side effects and there is warning that you need to be weaned off them rather than just stop so if I can do without them I will.

Sally has the nasty cold virus thing that I had the other week. Started exactly the same, raw throat then coughing and copious mucus. If it runs the same course she should be shut of it by tomorrow or Tuesday.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I still haven't been summoned for my flu jab..... I'll mention it to Hassan when I see him a week tomorrow.
Jack gets his annual jabs on the same day, that reminder came on time from the vets.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 11:11 If it runs the same course she should be shut of it by tomorrow or Tuesday.
Don't bank on that. Mine has lasted eight days now and still sniffling away. I've cancelled all my appointments and am still restricted to indoors.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sally is well on the mend and like I was should be sorted by tomorrow, for the record she has not been called for her flu jab yet either. We normally get called together but I think it's because I have hit the magic oldie number first. Previously, I got my jab on the NHS because I was classed as a carer for Sally with her compromised immune system, I qualify off my own back now. :extrawink:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My relatives living nearby drove up to Blackburn on Friday to attend a wedding on the weekend. The motorway was chock full all the way and it took them 10 hours. When they got there they suffered severe gastrointestinal illness - nothing to do with the wedding event, it must have been something they caught or ate before the journey. The wedding was a bit of a flop too! They were glad to get home, two days later than expected because they weren't fit to drive.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds like the trip from hell Tiz! All they needed was a breakdown and they would have had a full house..... Glad they are home safely.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Our flu jabs are on October 20 th, unfortunately a day we wanted to be in Warwick early for a Model Engineering exhibition. Never mind it is on all weekend . We intend staying in Coventry with Julia and family so we can go on the Sunday. The grandchildren are coming back home with us for their first stay away with grandma and grandpa and no parents
If you keep searching you will find it

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”