Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by plaques »

Doctor, How are you?
Patient, fine, nothing wrong with me.
Doctor, I haven't examined you yet.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stay where you are until your wounds are properly sorted China.

Best advice I can give having had friends who have succumbed to Sepsis.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Doing some internet research found this event for Craven U3A at Skipton

Mon 9 Dec 2019 10.00 am Looking at History of Medicine How developments in Britain led to the NHS
Venue Swadford Centre
Enquiries Richard Woolf
Details British medicine evolved as a mix of charities, private medicine and workhouses. This session looks at how, after the second world war, this was reformed into the NHS.

If anyone is interested.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

PanBiker wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 11:54 Stay where you are until your wounds are properly sorted China.

Best advice I can give having had friends who have succumbed to Sepsis.
Nice one Plaques and it sums up my situation
I'm not going anywhere Ian, not just yet.
This morning's dressing change was another eye opener. I ended up with the wound therapist fixing a
vacuum drainage tube which must stay in for 48 hours. She has been given a new job title; International wound therapist. When she had finished she asked how it felt and I told her it was working well as I could feel it sucking the money from my wallet.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The more you tell us the more I realise how lucky I am China. When I got stir crazy I discharged myself and got into a load of trouble for a while until people realised I was fine. I wouldn't have dreamt of doing it if I had been in your situation. Ian is right of course, hang on in there. I have everything crossed for you! The very best of luck.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

chinatyke wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 10:58 ...but I'm sure they see through me.
That's what the Invisible Man said after he'd been to the doctor to ask for a disability allowance. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How today China?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I'm OK but I still have infection in one wound which is delaying my discharge. I'm hoping to get out soon, maybe tomorrow. This is a slow but incurable cancer, it's just a case of keeping on top of it and I'll get another10 years in the sun.

Thanks for asking about me.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I sometimes think mine is like that China, nobody can say how long I had it before it was found. That's the reason for the regular 'maintenance treatment, and assessments. Once again, good luck with it, I hope you get home soon!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Aye...take care of yourself China...and don't stop posting PLEASE! Sorry about the diagnosis, but glad to hear you have plenty of time up your sleeve. ( only the good die young....)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

chinatyke wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 06:54 I'm OK but I still have infection in one wound which is delaying my discharge.
Ironic, isn't it? Some discharges get you out of hospital, others keep you in. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I thought that when I wrote it: discharge prevents discharge...

Hopefully just one more night on this bed, I think the floor would be softer, then back to the comfort of my memory foam mattress, bliss!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Doc 1, What did you treat Chinatyke for?
Doc 2, £3000.
Doc 1. No I mean what did he have?
Doc 2, £3000

This bit of satire is actually aimed at the American health system.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

This thread gets busier as time goes by. I'm making a visit to give you updates on my ailments. I'm still waiting to see a neurologist, I have an appointment at the end of February, my GP says she'll write to see if it can be pushed a bit. I have doubts about my ability to walk by then. Its still going downhill.

On the plus side, Occupational therapy have been gold, their not infrequent visits cheer me up and they'be organised a visit from an elevator fitting service to enable me to keep using both floors, the cheaper stair lift was deemed only to be temporary solution, the option of building a wetroom and sleeping downstairs holds no appeal because its only a small house and losing about 70% of it to my disability is a bummer. Selling up and buying a bungalow has been discussed, but the old place has grown on us the 38 years we've lived here. And I'd lose my solar panels which is something I enjoy monitoring.

The physiotherapist half of the team has given me some exercises to keep me walking as long as possible and advised I use 2 sticks rather than one. It helps a lot even if it does make me feel more conspicuous and I don't have a free hand to carry anything.

I still manage a bit of computer work but I don't do home visits or encourage trade. I'm getting a few calls from old customers because Windows 7 has been nagging its coming to an end. Good ol' Microsoft....

I;ll probably lose my work desk and office area to the elevator but closing the business is the least of my problems.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Occupational Therapy were very good with me also post op. I only needed a couple of handrails fitting though, nowhere near as much support as you seem to need Stephen. The bloke came to fit them within an hour of the OT making the call and ordering them up. I hope they can sort you out and that you get your appointment with the Neurologist in a timely manner.

I am still waiting for the results of my MRI scan. I will wait until the end of the month then I think I will ring my neurosurgeons secretary Debra, she is usually very good at nudging.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Life sounds full of tough challenges for you at present, Pluggy. I understand not wanting to sell your home but adapt it to your future needs and it is good that you are getting the support you need.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Best wishes, Stephen.
Just when everything seems to be going great, Life bites us in the butt. We can only play the hand we're dealt and make the most of it.
I hope you get an appointment with the neurologist quickly.

Ian, When you say "waiting for the results of your MRI scan" - these results are available almost immediately, it's the tests that take time. Call your doctor and ask him.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

plaques wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 13:59 Doc 1, What did you treat Chinatyke for?
Doc 2, £3000.
Doc 1. No I mean what did he have?
Doc 2, £3000

This bit of satire is actually aimed at the American health system.
It applies here also. :biggrin2: this is what happened to me.

Doctor Gui: you should go to 303 hospital and have a better CT scan. Cost 7500 = GBP 800.
Me: No!
Doctor Gui: you need further treatment, chemotherapy. Cost 20000=GBP 2200.
Haemotologist: You don't need anything.
Me: No!

Doctors are not paid high salaries so they make it up in other ways. A lousy practice taking advantage of vulnerable people.

Today my wound is a lot better but I cannot leave yet. Probably be able to go home on Monday. That will be 28 nights in here.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

At least they seem to have adequate internet cover, China.
I am pleased to hear things seem to be going in the right direction for you.
How do you get home when discharged? Rickshaw? :laugh5:
And will you need dressings or anything at home?

Some of us will be glad to wave 2019 away...it has been an eventful year for many of us on OG.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The more I read this thread the more lucky I think I am! Doesn't sound very good Pluggy, all I can do is wish you the best.
China, hope the Great Escape happens soon!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 03:14 ...
How do you get home when discharged? Rickshaw? :laugh5:
And will you need dressings or anything at home?

Some of us will be glad to wave 2019 away...it has been an eventful year for many of us on OG.
We go home by public transport. Jiaping went by shared taxi last week and said it wasn't good. About the same price as going on the high speed train which takes as little as 38 minutes and is awesome.
We have plenty of dressings if they are needed.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You have been in hospital best part of a month. Believe me, 38 mins on a train, plus travel at each end is going to be DRAINING on you China. You will not believe the effort it will take to get home. Be prepared for fatigue....
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

chinatyke wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 23:57 Ian, When you say "waiting for the results of your MRI scan" - these results are available almost immediately, it's the tests that take time. Call your doctor and ask him.
Here in the UK our imaging departments are used extensively, getting the scan is not really a problem. If there is a shortage of resource the NHS use 3rd party contractors with mobile units to provide the service. In all maintenance scenarios, the results of the scans go to an interpretation team who then prepare a report for the referring doctor or surgeon. AAU results and emergency scan results are more or less instant of course as was the case when I was first diagnosed.

I have decide to wait until the end of month then I will ring my Neurosurgeons secretary. My own doctor will not get the results until they have been dealt with by interpretation and my surgeon. If there was anything wrong, I would have been called back.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 09:07 You have been in hospital best part of a month. Believe me, 38 mins on a train, plus travel at each end is going to be DRAINING on you China. You will not believe the effort it will take to get home. Be prepared for fatigue....
The doctor says I can go home tomorrow, I make that 27 nights in here.
When I'm discharged we plan to go to our new apartment in Nanning and drop off some things we've accumulated, such as a camp bed, bedding, buckets, indoor flip-flops, shaving items, soap etc. They'll come in useful there when we start kitting it out and making the place habitable.
It will be a long day but we'll take it slowly and my reward will be sleeping in my own comfortable bed at last and getting my life back together.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

That is good news China, one more sleep and you will be home.
‘Start the car! ‘ or in your case ‘Engines Roll !’ :smile:
And be careful because everything seems bigger, brighter and faster after you’ve been confined in the same size space for a while.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”