Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Sue
VIP Member

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Sue »

Tripps wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 10:57 I had mine this year at the pharmacy in Tesco. I was invited into the private room whilst I was collecting my regular monthly fix. Lovely lady - couldn't refuse really. I hadn't bothered for a couple of years so I did it. Good service - all explained, and she said they would notify my GP.
Zero after effects.
I had my flu jab at our local pharmacists who said they would notify the GP. They apparently have not done this as now I keep getting a text inviting me to the surgery for a jab
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The impression I got was that supplies of vaccines have been patchy this year. I wonder if pharmacists are favoured in this respect? Creeping privatisation?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

More likely greater uptake and a widening of the eligibility for NHS jabs. The children can get a nasal spray version but that's now run into short supply after more promotion. There's too much reliance on `just-in-time' methods of ordering and it's dangerous with medical supplies.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The problem with the flu vaccine is that they a have to wait to see which strains of the virus are likely to be most prevalent before triggering the manufacturing each year. Greater uptake as already said will be a factor, glad I got mine early.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Much being made of the failure to meet A & E treatment targets. 85% of of attenders should be seen within 4 hours. Since it widely accepted that a lot of these are not accidents or emergencies, but people who are unable to get an appointment with their GP, or have a problem which does not need immediate attention - perhaps it's time to look again at the targets.

Easy to be cynical about this process - moving the goal posts etc, but as long as those who really are emergencies are triaged, and seen and treated in a timely manner is it time to consider this?
Stanley wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 02:53 The impression I got was that supplies of vaccines have been patchy this year. I wonder if pharmacists are favoured in this respect? Creeping privatisation?
Any evidence of this or just a gut feeling?
PanBiker wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 14:25 they a have to wait to see which strains of the virus are likely to be most prevalent before triggering the manufacturing each year
The nice lady at Tesco explained this to me, and said this year's variety was based on what they had in Australia earlier in the year. She said it was a nasty one. She didn't disagree when I suggested that last year's mixture was almost totally ineffective.
Sue wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 22:38 who said they would notify the GP. They apparently have not done this
This did occur to me, but does it matter? They don't invite me to attend, and I know I've had it so - no problem. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The surgery told me that supplies had not been reliable David.
In all the discussions about A&E yesterday only fleeting mention of the bed blocking caused by old people being prevented from going home because of inadequate social care provision. Also people going to A&E because of difficulties in some areas with access to GPs.
Remember the Dilnot Commission which reported in 2011? Addressed all the problems, made wide recommendations and highly praised. Totally ignored by Tories. Perhaps someone should read it?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I've just looked in obituary thread and I am not mentioned so I must be ok today!
a month ago my left sub mandibular gland started swelling and we went to our local hospital to get an opinion from the consultant. ultrasound was done and he advised me to go to a good hospital for further investigation so we came to Guangxi number 1hospital in Nanning. I had visited here 13 years ago for examination of
a thyroid swelling which was just a fluid cyst. this time was different and I pulled strings to be admitted the following day. many tests later I was told that I had 2 tumors and was scheduled for surgery.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I bet both you and Mrs China are glad to be home in your own bed...
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

The surgery was for Thyroidectomy and left sub mandibular gland resection and laryngeal nerve investigation.The hospital is extremely careful with me because I am a foreigner and old and the anaesthetist called for extensive tests on my heart to ensure I was a good candidate for surgery. eventually the surgery went ahead and the two tumors were removed. I'm told one was as big as an egg and the thyroid one was like a tennis ball.
this morning the biopsy results came back and showed stage one cancer so I'll be here a bit longer. They know I am a Tyke so they have arranged for me to have a general anaesthetic when they need to open my wallet.
I'm going out with my neck taped up to thrash my mate at pool this afternoon. my wife has gone home to have a cry and kill our chickens which are usually pampered pets. my koi will escape her murderous tendency and will survive without intervention.
It's been a rough month but I can see light at the end of the tunnel, or is it saint Peter?
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

sorry Maz, my great escape plan went wrong and I am stuck with this board bed for a bit longer. I have 2 duvets under me. I would love to get home but if I walk out there may not be a second chance at treatment so I have to be a good boy!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You are a tough old Tyke!
(I'm a bit sad for the chickens though!)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As I suspected, a bit more than you were letting on China. Best of luck with it all, that's all anyone can hope for but diagnosis of Stage one sounds good. all the best!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Gosh China you have been thru the wars.
Cheers for the next 13 years being trouble free :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

another doctor has just been in and made me phone my wife at home. my wife told me that my egg tumor was no problem. I wish I could get the full story. there will be a case conference on Monday so I will have to wait till then.
my chickens have laid 11 eggs and have a reprieve.
I beat my mate 8games to 2 at pool.
I'm optimistic and life is still good here.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Those tumours are large - did they come up suddenly or have you been a bad boy and delayed going to the doc? My dad didn't tell anyone that he had a big swollen gland in his armpit and he had to have it removed in hospital and then got locked in for weeks because they had a norovirus outbreak. It all could have been avoided if he'd seen the doc early when it was small and could have been removed in minutes at the outpatients' clinic. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Best of luck China, stage one is the best of a bad job, give us another report after the conflab next week. Whatever, you are in the right place, hang in there. Oh and it's light at the end of the tunnel, a positive outlook is always the best.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tizer wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 09:42 Those tumours are large - did they come up suddenly or have you been a bad boy and delayed going to the doc? :smile:
The cyst on my thyroid dates back to at least 2006 with monitoring until about 2011 when I just forgot it. my sub mandibular gland swelled like an egg overnight on 1.1.2018 after I ate a portion of wood mushrooms and I thought I had Labrynthitis due to extreme vertigo. my wife was in California and I felt a lot better by the time she returned in April and the swelling had decreased so I ignored it like we blokes do. Then it swelled up again a month ago and lmy wife insisted we went to hospital and that was that.
just had my youngest daughter chat to me from California and tell me off for sneaking out yesterday!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

China, forgive me if I am being nosey but why three weeks in hospital?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 02:45 China, forgive me if I am being nosey but why three weeks in hospital?
because they did CT scans and radioactive iodine scans and a lot of other things the first week which would be done before admission to a UK hospital. They scheduled my op then postponed it because the Anaesthetist spotted some abnormalities on an ECG and called for lots more procedures to make sure I was OK for surgery. my heart was OK and in good condition for its age so the operation could go ahead. that was 15 days after I first contacted this hospital. They are being extremely careful with me, it doesn't go down well if they kill off a foreigner! I'll be a good advertisement if all goes well and this market is very competitive. I'm surprised I haven't been on Nanning news on TV yet. This is the top hospital in Guangxi and Guangxi is as big as the whole of UK.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Do they not have an onsite interpreter at the hospital? Or staff that can speak English and translate for you? It seems a bit long-winded to keep phoning your wife to translate for you...especially as she is so busy contemplating murdering the chickens...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No Maz, the chickens have had a reprieve! But I agree on the interpreter.
Thanks for the explanation China.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

After having to go thru that time and time again China might be next on her list. :extrawink:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:surprised:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Cathy wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 06:36 After having to go thru that time and time again China might be next on her list. :extrawink:
I think I come high on her hit list.

I have a nurse assigned to me whose english is excellent. She explains everything to me when she is on duty.
Basic English is included in nurse training and some communication is possible. Our youngest daughter in California is a qualified nurse and talks to my doctor and then to me. She was Nurse of the Month twice at the University Medical Hospital before going to USA so I have confidence in her.
I really am treated as a VIP and I have no complaints.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”