Get on Your Bike!

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Get on Your Bike!

Post by PanBiker »

First time back out on my bike for over twelve months. Major fail, didn't take long to find that my right heel runs into the bottom cassette!

During my post op neuro physio sessions they picked up that I had a weak ankle and slightly turned out right foot so took the opportunity with my total loss of muscle memory to retrain that. I thought I would be OK on the bike as the re-alignment has certainly succeeded when I walk. My right foot is a lot straighter than it was pre-op. Problem seems to be when I am just using the ball of my foot, (as in correct positioning on the peddle) my heel turns inwards and fouls on the bottom cassette, not good as it means I cannot put equal pressure on both peddles. A bit useless when you are on the incline and need to keep a constant cadence up. :sad:

I am going to try the non captive toe guides that I used on the coast to coast ride. I had to swap the peddles out to accommodate them as they are bolted to the front and needed peddles to suit. The ones I chose have a reasonable serrated grip on them so it may be enough to keep my foot in line. I don't particularly want to go to captive clips or cleated shoes and peddles to match.

Falling off is not really a good idea with a repaired skull so I am hoping for an easy fix. I always wear a helmet but that does not make me bullet proof. The bike will be ideal for building up both muscle in my right calf and overall stamina so I hope I can get back to regular use.
Ian
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Get on Your Bike!

Post by Stanley »

You'll find a solution.
"fouls on the bottom cassette". What is a cassette on a bike?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Can you remember when all ladies bikes came with a chain guard , a possible solution?

.Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes, and I also remember the string net guards over the front of the rear wheel to prevent your skirt getting caught in the spokes....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Bottom Cassette, modern term for the main drive gear set. Outer gear of three does have a built in plastic guard but it's not enclosed like the old chain guards were so my heel can still strike the top of that which is the problem as it tends to slow forward momentum and from a standing start can stop you dead which is how I fell off on the coast to coast.

The chain guards on the older bikes were for Sturmey Archer gear sets weren't they? Single front drive gear and the three gears in the rear wheel hub. Dérailleur sets are a bit of a different kettle of fish as they use lateral movement of the chain to traverse the gears on both front an rear cassettes. I have three on the front and six on the rear.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Just unearthed in my garage a light weight aluminium top guard. It would need some additional plate and brackets pop riveting to it to protect your heal hitting other bits and pieces. I've been intending to throw it away for years. Its your's if you want it. My next official visit to Barlick is monday.22 july . Other arrangements can be made.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sounds interesting P. I will also have a look on the internet on the bike accessory vendors sites I have bookmarked to see if there is anything there that could be useful.

I was thinking of some sort of guard if the front toe guides don't work. I had them on when I fell off so maybe a combination of both might be the way forward.

Just checked on the bike and my heel actually runs onto the top of the metal shift mechanism for the front rings. This of course has full lateral movement across all three. Any guard would have to cover the outermost with clearance. The plastic chain guard is on the outer ring below the shift mechanism.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good luck with it.....
The original chain guards were on bikes with a single gear wheel at each end and of course Sturmey Archer gears had that. The best ones had an oil bath for the chain......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

You can get them for double and triple ring systems. However, I don't think that would actually solve the problem. The chain isn't the issue, effectively the front change mechanism is flat on the top and sits above the outermost ring and moves inwards as you shift between the three. The guards I have seen on the internet shroud the chain only and so the mechanism would still be proud. I think the solution is going to be keeping my foot straight on the peddle when only using the ball of my foot rather than letting it drift and trying to compensate for the incorrect position. Cleated shoes and peddles to match would be the answer but I don't want to go there.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have a word with the lads at Hope Engineering. They might come up with something for you.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 09:20 Cleated shoes and peddles to match would be the answer but I don't want to go there.
Some side restraint fitted to the peddle which could be hinged and sprung to move in unison with your foot position may help. I will have a quiet word with my pal Sean in Colne. Does a lot of cycling himself he may have come cross something that's on the market.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know I am a boring old pedant but I have been biting my tongue for a few days now. Sorry lads but the correct spelling is 'pedal'.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

:smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good: (Sorry about that....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I spite of Stanley's pedallantic comment, I know there's no such word, I had a word with Sean (Colne) and he said he had never come across anything that was commercially available which may help you. Looking at the number of crank wheel and pedal designs if you're going to get anything at all its going to be a special. Hope engineering is a hope. Ref Stanley.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have found a commercial product that may help my slight foot turn problem.

Pedal spacers, these are available in various widths and are threaded at each end to screw into the crank and the pedal. They are produced as all people are not the same and if you think about it the only common variable on bike sizing is the frame size. This caters for different sized individuals by height and leg measurement (length). One thing that is not normally catered for is how far apart the pedals are, by design one width fits all which is not really right. Folk are different not only in stature but in the width of their hips and if you have wider hips you should really have the pedals set to match.

The spacers are not particularly expensive certainly not the ones made in the Far East and readily available on Ebay. You can buy solid titanium ones of course and ones made of other expensive alloys and the like. As a test when Spring comes around I'm going to try some cheap ones about an inch wide just to see if it provides some form of, or partial solution. If it works I'll shove some better quality ones on, you don't really want any failure due to cheap or inferior metal where the pedal could shear off under stress.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like a sensible plan Ian...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I got the bike out this afternoon a brought it round the back into the yard. Pumped the tyres up and tightened the saddle which for some weird reason had worked a little loose? Main reason though was to fit the pedal spacers that I got a few weeks ago. Here are a couple of photo's. I have fitted them to both sides so that the bike is not lop sided. One thing I did forget though was to swap pedals with Sally's bike as you can see that my pedals are sloped at the front and back, trapezoid. Sally's are flat at the front and would be the ones to fit the toe clips to if I need them. No bother, simple matter to swap them as and when. Not tried the spacers out yet but will report back when I have.

First one shows the front changer that my heel runs into which is what I am trying to avoid

A bit closer view

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Things haven't changed much down there in 70 years..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

If they work, I don't know whether I will have confidence in their manufacture as they are relatively cheap ones made in China. The description said they were made from chrome-molybdenum steel.

Having said that I have recently been watching Johns YouTube videos where he has been reviewing tooling sent to him by Banggood. They to are considered cheap Chinese products but from Johns review he could not really fault any of the stuff he tested.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Looks a good solution to your problem, Ian. I hope it is successful. I've been thinking of giving my bike a good servicing and bringing it out of retirement now the summer weather has arrived. It is stored on our balcony and I haven't used it since last summer, the strong sun u/v degrades rubber tyres so they will probably need replacing.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Hopefully it has potential, I may still need something to keep my right foot straight on the pedal which is where the toe grips may come in. If I have to use them I will take the spacers out.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right about the quality of some of the Chinese imports. Definitely value for money when you look at comparable western prices.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We had a ride on Saturday...very vigorous it was too. Up hills, down gullies, lots of steep gravel paths (one slip and a deep plunge into a rocky creek bed), hump backed bridges, etc. Bone jarring. Pooped after 3 hours and had to be revived with a glass of Guinness when we finally made it back to son’s house.
Only fell off once, sustaining skinned knees, which I wore with pride. :good:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Cycling”