Intro

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
MarkD68

Intro

Post by MarkD68 »

Hi I am Mark, new to this site and relatively new to Barlick. I am wondering if anyone has any idea what the shops were originally at the top of Wellhouse road? are there any old photos?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Intro

Post by PanBiker »

Hi Mark, welcome to the site.

The level crossing into the goods and coal yard from Barlick railway station used to be where the War Memorial stands now. Opposite where the War Memorial is now was Mr Imries dentists in the top house on the first block, behind that on what is now the Town Green was Kirdrays sewing factory and Stanleys Crumpets. These stood on the periphery of the old coal yard which ran down to the buffers which used to be on the top of the banking near to what is now Neil Creasey's Garage. Coming down Wellhouse Road on the corner at the opposite end of the first block, opposite the Fire Station was Heatons Newsagents then bottom of the next block Murgatroyds (Spar I think). Next block down Jack Bennets Butchers, then fruit and veg shop. On the opposite side there used to be Charlie Morris's camera shop, Tommy Kendals cloggers, Derek Spencers Plumbing supplies. A few more I cant just recall at the moment, these are all from the 50's and 60's. Most have now been converted back to houses.

You will find lots of information and informants on the site with a lot of knowledge of the town, it's history and the surrounding areas. There may be photo's forthcoming when other members have picked up on the thread. If it takes off as a topic we'll move it to its own thread for easier reference.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Station Road around 1892

Barlick station around 1956
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Apart from being garbled this looks like an attempt to advertise to me. Opinions?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Agreed and post deleted. Not even advertising, just spam.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Isn't it strange.... Perhaps they never get out and make friends!
Just a word to members. Under the surface Wendy and Ian are still waging war on the spammers. It's only occasionally their work surfaces but I can assure you we owe them big time for the effort they put into keeping the site clean. Nice.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

A post script about the present War Memorial area...

In the late '70s early '80s we referred to this area as 'the temporary bank site'. Both Yorkshire Bank and Barclays used the area for portacabin banks whilst their new buildings were erected. When we wanted to move the war memorial from Letcliffe Park to a more accessible spot, it made good use of what had become a redundant eyesore close to the centre of town.

Thinking of eyesores, the 1970's buildings put up by Barclays and Yorkshire aren't quite as ugly as the 1950's concrete post office building... but they aren't far behind. ~Thank goodness Barnoldswick avoided the town centre redevelopments foisted on places such as Colne and Nelson.

And praise be the planning policies (whilst we've still got them?) which support use of good local materials for developments. Shame they weren't stronger in the '70s.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree entirely.
On another planning matter. Is the permission for a 50ft mast on the pavement opposite the library still active? I'm thinking of the new 4G network. Apart from the stupidity of allowing a 50ft mast there I hear there are issues about radio and TV reception if you are close to a mast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Introductions”