A wave from Oklahoma

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
minimiller

A wave from Oklahoma

Post by minimiller »

Hello All o/

A big hello from Oklahoma

I lived in Earby during the early 1960's, went to Barlick Modern 1965 to 1969. Moved to Trawden in the 1980's and finally the USA in 1995. My daughter now lives in Barnoldswick.

Worked at Earby Light Engineering (Dotcliffe Mill, Kelbrook) from 1969 to 1974 and Mal Tool from 1974 until the 1990's. While I was at Mal Tool I worked with a guy called Philip Stead who did some work on the Bancroft Mill IIRC

I was hoping to be able to find some pictures from Earby Light from around the time I was there (or any pics) if anyone would like to share or point me in the right direction to find some. :-)

Minimiller
Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A wave from Oklahoma

Post by Stanley »

Morning Mini, welcome to the site. I was at Bancroft till closure in 1978. What's an IIRC? Philip Stead doesn't ring a bell. Didn't Earby Light move to Colne?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

" What's an IIRC?"

I think it's textspeak for " If I remember correctly" We're not very 21st century on here Mini, :smile: but you will find a lot to interest you. Welcome to the site.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Yes EL did move to Colne - one of my early boyfriends was in charge there. It is not there any longer.
Say only a little but say it well.
minimiller

Post by minimiller »

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I think that Philip Stead was involved with some of the restoration work (as were quite a few people) so it may have been later that 1978.

Earby Light Engineering started off in Earby at the Northside plant which was located near the old sewage works. Both my father and brother worked there around 1963/4 ish.

The company moved to Dotcliffe Mill in Kelbrook around 1968 and I started the following year. They also had a plant in Colne (the old AEI building) and a smaller one in Nelson.

I seem to recall that the Dotcliffe works eventually closed and everything moved to Colne.

As far as I know ELE is now on the site of the Colne Mal Tool building at the bottom of Cottontree Lane.

Mick
Mick
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Yes Dotcliffe closed and there are houses built on the site, and bungalows built on what was the mill dam.
Say only a little but say it well.

Return to “Introductions”