Introduction

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
woffy

Introduction

Post by woffy »

Hi. Thanks for letting me join the site. I'm doing some family tree stuff, All my Fathers' side of the family came from Barnoldswick. The house Willden View on Cavendish St/Queen St was lived in by my Grt Grand Parents David Woffen(den) and Maria (Will)is around 1912 - 1928 when both died. I don't know what happened to the property after that. Many members of the Woffenden family lived in Barlick 1870 - 1950. My Grand father James Woffenden was a baker and his brother Richard Andrew was killed 11/08/1917 in Flanders. Any pointers to getting local knowledge of the family would be really apprieciated. Best wishes steve.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Introduction

Post by Wendyf »

Hi Steve, welcome to the site. I'm sure someone will be able to help you.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Hello Steve welcome, we have a section of the site for genealogy and family history. Put your stuff in there and as Wendy says, someone will usually come along and help out.
Ian
woffy

Post by woffy »

Thanks.. I've just posted on the genealogy section. Best wishes Steve
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Hi Steve.

Here's a picture I took of the inscription on your great grandparent's house.

woffy

Post by woffy »

Thanks for the photo David. I'm coming over to Barlick v soon. I've not seen the house for nearly 40 years! Some of the Woffs lived in the cottages on Lane Bottom. I remember my grand father also referred to them as Dyehouse cottages.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Steve, welcome to the site. I have never heard Lane Bottom referred to as that, it has gone straight into the index! Have had a look and it's not a common name in Barlick, but here is what I have...
Wofendale, James. Farmer at Turks Hole(?) Barrett 1896
Wolfenden, David. Qualified to act as director of Calf Hall Shed Company in 1899 and 1901. Grocer, 4 Westgate in Barrett 1902.
Address given as 23 Westgate in Barrett for 1896.
Ernie Roberts mentions 'Woolfenden's' as one of the two grocer's shops near John Street on Wapping in the 1930s.
Woffenden, James. Nurseryman, Albert Road Barrett 1902.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
woffy

Post by woffy »

Hi Stanley. Thanks for this information. It's really useful. David Wolfenden Grocer 4 Westgate is my Great Grandfather. The correct spelling is Woffenden. The 1891 and 1901 Censuses places Him and wife Maria at 4 Westgate. occupation is Grocer. By 1911 they had moved to Cavendish St.

David the grocer had a brother James William Woffenden Born 1867. In the 1901 Census his occupation is Farmer/Cotton Mill Overlooker.
He is placed at Lower Close Farm. I don't know if Turks Hole is another name for this or indeed if he is the same person as James Wofendale.

It's quite confusing because the surname is often mis-spelt and there are a number of James's in the family. Both David the grocer and his brother James William had sons called James too. David's son James was my grandfather and James Edwin Woffenden was the son of James William... As I mentioned before I'm coming over to Barnoldswick soon just to see the other places family members lived.. Castle View, The cottages at the top of Tubber Hill, Knowlden on Colne Road and May Street Street in Barrowford. Once again, thanks for looking this information up.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a pleasure and yes, that's why I included names that were somewhere near Woffenden, the enumerators often made small mistakes like that. Glad the info was useful. It flags up the value of maintaining an old fashioned card index. It's a pain in the bum building it up but when you get a query it's invaluable. God knows how many cards there are in it now after 30 years of additions and no, I'm not going to count them!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

woffy

Post by woffy »

Stanley.. You seem too busy to count them!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not really Steve, just an old show-off!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

woffy

Post by woffy »

Well writing those local history books on Barlick weren't done in half an hour!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hee hee! No you're right, it took me two years to write and publish 20 books. Not sure how I managed it....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Introductions”