Greetings fellow Barlickers

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
tsrplatelayer

Greetings fellow Barlickers

Post by tsrplatelayer »

Hi All
Its been a long time since I spent any time in Barlick. The last of my Grandparents died in 1992 and I haven't been back since. Before that - well visits were rare. We visited regularly when I was little. My dad worked for RR and we moved to Brampton (Spadeadam) in 1959. Regular once/twice a year visits until I left home in 1972 and between 1972 and 1992 then only every now and then.

But I have decided its time to come back for a visit - a week next summer in the old town.

As far as I know there is now only 1 maternal Uncle and Aunt in Barlick the rest have either moved on or passed on. I wonder if there are any distant cousins still in town? Certainly none directly descended from my grand parents. My family tree can be seen at http://www.avalon-family-history.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ if anyone recognises any of the local family lines I would welcome contact. SMITH/TWEEDIE/FEARNLEY/GARNETT are my grandarents surnames to which an be added BROUGHTON, WANE, COMMONS, and PRUDHOE at greatgrandparent generation and beyond that STEEL, WELLOCK, COTTAM, CROSBY.

I remember a school pal - Paul Edmondson from Barlick, his family also moved to Brampton, then later back to barlick whereas we moved on up to Thurso on the north coast of Scotland. I am know in Shropshire.

It is also on Ancestry under SMITH/WATERHOUSE. I have Grandma Ivy Smith (nee Garnett) came from Gargrave. When we walked down the street she seemed to know everyone we met. I remember asking here and the answer was usually along the lines of 'one of my relations'. So with that in mind and working from the Gargrave parish registers I have created a Gargrave town tree on Ancestry and nearly half of the baptisms have been tied together by marriage - and I am still working on it.

Allan Smith
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Greetings fellow Barlickers

Post by Wendyf »

Hello Allan and welcome to the site, I hope you find some of your distant cousins on here!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Hello Alan and welcome to the site, we have a genealogy section which may be of interest, please feel free to contribute to any of the forums though.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welcome to the site Allan.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Broughtons usually on site - welcome Allan.
Say only a little but say it well.
tsrplatelayer

Post by tsrplatelayer »

Yes - Broughtons every where

Return to “Introductions”