Hi from a new member and wondering if anybody can help me

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Hi from a new member and wondering if anybody can help m

Post by PanBiker »

Do you have a rough date for the saw pit Stanley? Could it be earlier on the site of Matt Hartleys build? 1892 map seems to support this.

Like Wendy, I have looked at the 1911 census and the short row was definitely 4 dwellings We can name everyone who lived in the block. This would lend credence to later conversion from dwellings to barn as that usage was later in living memory according to Donald who lives next door. The row was one of the earliest builds on the Croft and was there before 1853, I suppose it could have got into disrepair and undergone a conversion. I have looked at Wendy's overlay on the later street map and I would concur with her that the alignment is not that good. It shows the early built Croft Cottage too far over into the garage footprint if you dragged it to it's correct position it would rule out an extra cottage on Matt's row.

Question now is confirmation of usage after 1911 and a better date of clearance and road re-alignment. A few pictures here would be worth a thousand words.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See Atkinson's 'Old Barlick' (on the site in rare texts). He says:
"The 'Town End public house was originally called the 'Scotch Laddie' and with the advent of steam power in the mills became 'The Engine'. In 1870 with the arrival of the railways it changed again to 'The Railway'. At that time it was owned by Hartley Robinson, his wife was the daughter of David Duckworth, farmer. Robinson built the adjoining property where the Yorkshire Penny Bank was and he was also a clogger. He had land on Sagin Hill which was used for sawing trees for clog soles. His son Charlie Robinson left Barlick as a lad and became a manufacturer in Batley."
So date of saw-pit would be roughly 1850 onwards.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks for that Stanley that will be the square developed area shown on the 1892 map where the garage is now. You can see what is now Croft Cottage tucked in behind as it is now.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It struck me that the origin of the sawpit could well have been earlier. It must have been established for a long time for 'Sagin Hill' to become embedded in the language as a name for the hill.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
swinny_015

Post by swinny_015 »

Wow some really interesting replies here. Them pictures are brilliant.. So not so sure about another house being on the end of mine now??

If you have got some more info Wendy about John and Elizabeth that would be really interesting too please, especially living in the same house. It would be so good to find old pictures of inside the house too. Always find things like these interesting.

Also never knew there used to be some houses partially in my yard. Just goes to show when people help you out and look hard enough these things crop up, so thanks all.

PS sorry for the late replies. the weather is putting us under pressure with work.

Thanks Matt
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The row was not taken down until the mid 60's, I can't remember it though and I have lived in the town all my life, although I did live in a different part of town. No need to come around here then I suppose. Used to come as far as the old Palace with my mum when it was Barmy Micks supermarket late 50's into the 60's. I have feelers out with one of Barlick's picture genies, Gus Brennan, there must be some pictures of the area somewhere Matt.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Nothing immediately forthcoming on this so I have posted a request for any photos or recollections on:

Barnoldswick and Barlickers Then and Now - FB Site

There must be some more pictures if the area somewhere.
Ian

Return to “Introductions”