Accidents in Barnoldswick Mills

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
goldiemoe

Accidents in Barnoldswick Mills

Post by goldiemoe »

Hello everybody. I'm a new member who is researching family history. I was recommended this site by a fellow researcher of family history. I have found from the census returns for 1901 that two family members (married couple) lived in Westgate, Barnoldswick and worked as a cotton weaver and cotton winder respectively. They both died suddenly in 1910 around the same time of year . I am wondering if there were any fires or accidents in mills in the Barnoldswick area that might explain the tragedy. I look forward to hearing from anybody who has information. :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Accidents in Barnoldswick Mills

Post by PanBiker »

Hello Goldiemoe welcome to the site. Lots of interesting content on here that may help you along. Do you have a cause of death for your relatives and do you know which mill they worked in?
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Welcome to the site Goldiemoe. Can you give us the names of your Barlick ancestors?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Plenty of mills to go at in Barlick but if living on Westgate I wonder if they worked at Clough or Calf Hall. Too early for Bancroft but for a good grounding in practices with transcripts from the mill operatives themselves you should have a look at the LTP which we host on the site.

The Lancashire Textile Project 2013
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Wheres Stanley when you want him ?. He'll probably come in very early tomorrow morning. He's the mill and history expert.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Watching TV....
Without specific names and mills it is impossible, all I can say is that I have no reference in my index specifically relating to 1910. Best thing to do is first use the site search to find the Calf Hall Minute Books and search 1910 for any mention of an accident, this will cover Butts and Calf Hall mills which are likely prospects given the fact that the residence was Westgate [CHSC also ran Wellhouse Mill]. The other possibility locally is Slater Brothers at Clough Mill. If there is no mention in the CHSC minutes you need to go to the library and search the Craven Herald and Barnoldswick and Earby Times archives for 1910. If there was a serious accident it will be recorded by them because they were very rare and always news. Beyond that I can't say anything without names or mills.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Introductions”