New Member Question

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
laurahudson

New Member Question

Post by laurahudson »

Hi guys i wonder if you can help me. I converted the baptist Chapel on Walsmgate 2 years ago, all documentation that i can find on the history of the building in books and online all say the building dates back to 1796 however i have the original deeds which clearly state 1772? i have been trying without any luck in finding details of the bodies that are still in the garden at the front of the chapel but both local and national record departments have no such information. The reason for this post is to try an locate a local archaeologist to be on hand if anything should be uncovered once the dig takes place to make an off-road car parking facility on the graveyard. Only 1 meter will be excavated at the highest point and im hoping nothing is uncovered or disturbed but part of the planning condition is that i have a programme of works in place if in fact anything is uncovered...... can anybody help? Many thanks in advance
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: New Member Question

Post by PanBiker »

Hello Laura and welcome to the site. Have you had a word with your neighbour next door? His front garden encompasses part of the site and I am fairly sure he may have some information from when he renovated the property.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hello Laura, is this Bridge Chapel? if so have a look at the Earby & District Local History Society website for a brief history of the chapel and a list of burials.

HERE
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I responded on this on Facebook. Have you seen 'The History of the Baptist Church' by Lewis on the site? Probably the most reliable source. I'll bump it. I transcribed it many years ago and if you want you can copy it and print a copy for yourself.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Stanley suggested County Archaeologist on facebook; don't know if they have any capacity following government cuts.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

When the history society restored the well at Thornton in Craven they used the services of John Buglass, an archaeologist based in Northallerton. LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Post moved here from the practice thread as posts in there are automatically wiped after 7 days. Thanks to member Whyperion for reminding me.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

What has happened to the County Archaeology Service David, has it gone? You would have thought the planning department would have provided a list of people who could provide the necessary service.
Had a word with an archaeologist friend of mine yesterday and she would be happy to do the job if you can't get anyone else. She has been working on the Raikes Road Burial Ground project in Skipton and is currently involved with the Big Dig to discover the Raikes Wood prisoner of war camp,
laurahudson

Post by laurahudson »

Thanks for your replies.... i'm having a bit of bother operating this site.... me being a 'Newbie en all' cant work out how to respond to your messages individually....

My neighbor is as much in the dark as i am in relation to who is actually buried there....

Its not the bridge chapel in earby, its on Walsgate barnoldswick....

Stanley.... i didnt see the History of the baptist?? Can you advise where i find it or copy me a link? many thanks in advance :)

Thanks everyone!

PS Wendy.... would your friend possibly be up for a quick chat.... all i require is report writing to explain what the steps would be if i uncovered anything while digging? As previously explained i'm really hoping i dont uncover anything!!!!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I think It was called Bridge Chapel Laura, though I might be wrong! The link I gave you to the EDLHS website takes you to a page with PDF downloads, one of which is a list of burials and the other a brief history of the chapel. I'll put them on here as well.
Bridge Chapel burials.pdf
Barlick baptist history.pdf
I'll send you a Private Message with an email address for Janis Heward. You should see a notification that you have a message on the left of the blue bar beneath the header photo. Just click on that and it will take you to your Private Messages page. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Laura, you've responded to people quite adequately in your latest post. We're relaxed about how it's done. If you want to be specific you can use the `Quote' button shown in the post you want to reply to, although it's often not necessary. I usually do as you see in this post and simply start my reply with the person's name so it's obvious if I'm aiming it at a specific person. The content of posts is more important than the style! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Or even use their name.....
The History is there in the list of active topics. I have bumped it again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Laura, we had a discussion about Bridge Chapel a few years ago on the site. Have a look Here
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've copied this relevant section from Stanley's transcription of the History (which is a bit of a testing read!)

"After Mr. Jackson's death Dec. 31, 1763, the church elected John Parker to be his successor, and in 1764 he entered upon the pastorate where he laboured very successfully for many years. During his ministry in 1769, several members of the church, residing at Colne, resigned their membership, and established the Baptist Church there. He was diligent, peaceable, affectionate and faithful. He was a man mighty in prayer, his weak but penetrating voice was resonant with a holy fervour, and his soul sent forth its petitions in flashes of devout eloquence. The secret of this greatness was his constancy in private prayer. Often would he retire to his closet and prostrating himself with his face to the ground would plead intensely with his Heavenly Father. An idea of
his power as a preacher may be gathered from the following selection
from Dr. Fawcett’s Memoirs.

" In the year 1773, about Whitsuntide, the annual association was held at Wainsgate. It was attended by the Rev. Mr. Medley, who was one of the preachers, with many friends from Liverpool and other distant places. Having long known the minister, from his labours amongst them they showed their personal regard An hint and more especially their love to the cause of Christ by submitting to temporary privations, and inconveniences, that they might enjoy his society and hat of other Christian friends. The meeting, house being much too small for the assembly, some of the services were conducted in the open air, the officiating minister being on a temporary platform erected in the burying ground. The Rev. Mr. Parker, of Barnoldswick, had been nominated at the preceding association, as one of the preachers. He was in a great measure stranger to Mr. Medley and his friends from Liverpool. His appearance was humble, and at first view far from prepossessing having none of those exterior appendages of dress by which men of the clerical order were usually distinguished. Mr. Medley could not forbear, with his usual frankness, expressing his regret, that one so unlikely had been selected to preach on that public occasion, especially as he had persuaded many to accompany him, in the hope of enjoying some peculiar privileges; but when the good man began to speak, and when he opened his subject, Mr. Medley's prejudice was soon turned into admiration. The Christian simplicity, pertinent illustrations and holy fervour of this man of God, captivated his heart and riveted his attention, so that it proved a most delightful and refreshing season, not only to himself, but to most that were present. He never wrote his sermons, but always followed a carefully arranged plan, original and quaint in style but very clear and interesting. His biographer says, " When he was under a favourable gale and his subject peculiarly interesting . . . It was a feast divine to sit under the sound of his voice, a torrent of sacred eloquence issuing from the fervour of his mind seemed to carry away the hearts of the hearers before it."

During his ministry in the year 1772, the trustees, out of money belonging to the Church purchased the three cottages facing Walmsgate adjoining the Old Chapel together with other cottages and gardens behind the same for the sum of £195."

The registers of Bridge Chapel Barnoldswick are now available to view on Ancestry (I just discovered that this morning!) and the minister at Bridge Chapel when the records start in 1785 is John Parker.
Here is the certificate from when the registers were handed over in 1837.

This is from the first page, showing John Parker as the minister.

So, I think that all proves that the list of Bridge Chapel burials are the people in your garden Laura! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Wendy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Introductions”