Introduction

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
Rob07

Introduction

Post by Rob07 »

Hello again, just catching up with you all from the old site and looking forward to reading posts etc.
Since my last post I have made quite alot of progress with my tree and found a marriage for a Benjamin Harrison who lived in Barnoldswick in 1881. I also am learning names of places in Horton in Ribblesdale like Raw, Studfield and Bracken Bottom.
On the negative side it has come to my attention that there are quite alot of mistakes on Ancestry for instance my Gt x 3 Grandfather died in Carlton in Craven but is placed in Netherthong which is some distance away, I have found other mistakes to.
I have cancelled my Ancestry subscription and will look for an alternative when my present subscription ends in Dec.
My ancestors appear to come from Horton in Ribblesdale prior to 1758 so if anybody needs or wants to share anything on that time area then please ask.
Best Wishes
Rob
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Introduction

Post by Whyperion »

Yes , agreed , most internet sites only offer a bit of a starting point , the transcriptions are often wrong , taking half information from top and bottom of differing original records , others present work as their own , when it is only lifting it from previous ( incorrect ) sources. Unfortunatley there is no effective shortcut for trying to get back as near to original as possible, always worth doing as often the original source has a much narrower range so you often find christenings etc for other family members on the same page ( also shows other people that may be related in a previously unknown way ). I dont think the websites give refunds for wrong information served up ( I have indexed names that are not correct to the original source which are not relatives , which is frustrating , and worse names which are relatives indexed wrongly ). I am glad I did most of my research at the GRO years ago , which means I know roughly where to look , but still needed to visit Scotland ( Edinburgh GRO very useful for me and its pay for website probably the best ) to find many omissions , and need to get back there again to find further omitted expected persons .
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welcome Rob. Hope you settle into the new site. Click on 'donor' at the top of the page and consider donating, we're trying to get the site onto a self funding basis. If you do donate, the adverts disappear!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Hi Rob. Love your avatar. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hello again Rob, good to see you back on the new site. Did you ever sort out where your runaway Procter was born? Someone should complain to Ancestry about the Carleton in Craven parish records coming up as Netherthong. I have a membership this year, so perhaps I will do just that!
Rob07

Post by Rob07 »

Hi Wendy, thanks for the welcome back, I'm not sure if that runaway Proctor is mine I found him living with his Nephew in later census records so it seems doubtful.
The problem with Ancestry seems to be as they are in Utah they have no local knowledge of Yorkshire or perhaps any other UK location.
I think I told Ancestry about errors the reply was "this is how it is nothing is guaranteed 100% accurate" I replied " BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO PUT RECORDS IN THE WRONG PLACE NAME DO YOU" !
I'm looking at find my past next time which is British who actually own Genes Reunited, I'll ask them for a comparison with regard to what parish records they have.
I have the parish records for Horton in Ribblesdale & Giggleswick if anybody needs any look ups from there.
Rob

Return to “Introductions”